• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ: Pilots Fail to Engage Jet Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not throwing stones here, but last week at VPS we were holding on a twy waiting for a verrrry slow taxing EMB (airline I won't say) to pass by so we could continue to the terminal. As they went past we could see the FO's side window completely blocked with a sunshade.

If it was a reflective sunshade, then it is factory installed and you can see through it.

SE taxi technique

A technique that I've used for single engine taxiing is to significantly dim the mfd or pfd on the side that the engine is out, that way you have a very obvious visual aid reminding you're not ready for takeoff.

Ehe ERJ has a hydraulic pump that makes a god awful noise when only one engine is running. What I don't get is didn't the pilots in the back on that ferry flight tell the guys that engine was not started as they were about to take the runway? They were probably already asleep due to 15 hour day.

Not entirely true. The hydraulic pump making it's loud whining noise is #1 and kicks in when engine #1 is not running, because of the nose wheel steering. If my memory serves me right, this particular check airman preferred to s.e. taxi with engine #1 running so he wouldn't have to hear this god awful noise.

Additionally, TSA had a checklist for "after starting second engine" or whatever it was called. That indicates to me that there might have been some additional cockpit distraction at the time.

Having a procedure to remind you to start the engines is like having a procedure to remind you which way to move the yoke to flare.

If you can't remember to start your engines and can't figure it out prior to taking the runway then maybe you are in the wrong line of work.

At least in the CRJ2, with one engine still shut, you should have 3 msgs. 1 master warning for OIL PRESS, and 2 cautions for fuel pump and fuel low press. And you shouldn't have a "TO CONFIG OK" advisory message. If all that STILL doesn't catch your attention, then there is something seriously wrong with you. Fatigue, incompetence, complacent, etc.

Our Before T/O checklist verifies CAS messages and TO Config ok message, so theoretically, we shouldn't ever be lining on the runway with one shut down.

Wouldn't it be saver to never start any engines? That way you could never taxi to a runway to try and take off with one shut down?

Latest resources

Back