• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ: Pilots Fail to Engage Jet Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Count the difference in hull losses between Eagle and AA.

Thanks.

TSA vs United as well

Never flown the EMB. What does that mean?

It's a configuration button you press right before takeoff...the computer checks that your trim, flaps, parking brake and spoilers are in the right place. It doesn't check that you spun one though....figures you'd have that checked seeing as though....you know....it's the other engine.

TSA vs United as well

It's a configuration button you press right before takeoff...the computer checks that your trim, flaps, parking brake and spoilers are in the right place. It doesn't check that you spun one though....figures you'd have that checked seeing as though....you know....it's the other engine.

I'm assuming it account's for the specific flap setting required for that particular T/O?

wouldn't you notice that one thrust lever was in shutoff when you were about to go into position? it wouldn't feel right.

TSA vs United as well

A good trick is to never set the flaps for takeoff until both engines are running. Not only is this a good way to remind yourself the engine isn't running, but also you'll get the "Takeoff... Flaps" warning and will remind you that you didn't set them for a reason.

wouldn't you notice that one thrust lever was in shutoff when you were about to go into position? it wouldn't feel right.

There is no shutoff position other than idle. There's no detent or anything. It's a smooth linear lever motion all the way up to the thrust set detents.

After 20 legs in 4 days...deja vu has new meaning.

Every leg blends into eachother and every check seems like it has already been done. I can bet with almost certainty that every pilot here has said the words..."Did we do the before ____ Check?"

For the average cockpit crew, he said, new government rules limiting tarmac delays highlight the larger problem of changes that end up "putting a lot more emphasis on things pilots probably shouldn't be worrying about."

Yeah, nice public lobbying effort, IATA guy.

I am flying with more and more FO's that seem to have the attitude that checklists are for wimps. I can see that if I didn't call for them they would not do them or question me.

For instance "trim and takeoff speeds checked" without even looking at them! I have to constantly tell them to ACTUALLY check, not just verbalize from memory.

Most of these guys have a "I am superpilot" mentality.

But as soon as red lights start to flash, they look like deer in the headlights.

The problem lies with Captains not doing their jobs there as well. Checklists are there for a reason. There are plenty of guys who want to be easy to get along with but I've flown with enough guys who've done everything by the book that were great to fly with. It is too easy to set the expectation early with, "Hey some of stuff doesn't make much sense but we'll do it for the benefit of the CVR. At least if we crash and dying a screaming death, they'll say, 'At least they didn't break sterile.'"

A good trick is to never set the flaps for takeoff until both engines are running. Not only is this a good way to remind yourself the engine isn't running, but also you'll get the "Takeoff... Flaps" warning and will remind you that you didn't set them for a reason.

The problem with that is you never want your last line of defense to catch an error like that. We have had a couple of attempted takeoffs with zero flaps, and the config flaps was the only reason it was caught.

Latest resources

Back