• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ: Pilots Fail to Engage Jet Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess a lot more thought was put into the Bombardier products. The TAKEOFF CONFIG OK message is automatic, and monitors a lot more than just trim and flaps

I guess a lot more thought was put into the Bombardier products. The TAKEOFF CONFIG OK message is automatic, and monitors a lot more than just trim and flaps

The EMB has an automatic system as well, but its not activated until you push the thrust levers into the detent, which could be to late to correct an issue. Most planes have a takeoff config button including almost every Boeing I have ever been on.

well i didn't know about it not having a shutoff detent. is there a "both engines running" item on the before takeoff check? lol, if not there will be soon

well i didn't know about it not having a shutoff detent. is there a "both engines running" item on the before takeoff check? lol, if not there will be soon
Not to mention a new final item on the line up checklist. That must be done only when the airplane is aligned on the take off runway. The item is “Take off Runway”, response “Confirmed” Our Fed wants this at our airline in response to a bulletin issued last month.

Whoa calm down broseph....we're only talking about hull losses here.

Forgetting to turn on an engine...basic...but it's not like pilots haven't forgotten simple things before right?

Forgetting to FLY THE AIRPLANE because a gear light came on
Forgetting to stow the spoilers when GPWS alerts you to a Colombian mountain in front of you.
Running out of gas countless times

All those things have happened....we've just gotta learn from them. Were those pilots 250 hour wonder kids? No. Was at least one of the CAs in the "oops, didn't start an engine" a 250 hour wonder kid? Nope.

...but what do I know...I'm not making sense...I must have never done grueling turboprop flying or must be a 250 hour vonderyouth.

Amidoingitrite?

I know, that was pure flamebait and I expected it would generate far more vitriol than it did. My button pushing skills must have atrophied. (chances are I did not spell that right)

Just like the childrens book, no matter who you are you will eventually poop (sometimes even the bed).

rr

I'm curious about pilot deviations at the regionals compared to the majors.

I was following an NWA DC-9 into Fargo a few months ago and witnessed the following:
Fargo Approach: "Northwest XXX, say speed."
NWA: "310 knots."
Fargo Approach: "You need to be at 250 knots or less below 10,000 sir."
NWA: "Ah... Roger..."

The good thing about this is we didn't have to slow down or take vectors for spacing :laugh:

I know, that was pure flamebait and I expected it would generate far more vitriol than it did. My button pushing skills must have atrophied. (chances are I did not spell that right)

Just like the childrens book, no matter who you are you will eventually poop (sometimes even the bed).

rr

Bah, you got me! I need to lay off the Tyrosine and SuperPump 250 for a while....

...but I'm really mirin' my gains though....

Solution: never single engine taxi.

I know right!?!?!?

Not throwing stones here, but last week at VPS we were holding on a twy waiting for a verrrry slow taxing EMB (airline I won't say) to pass by so we could continue to the terminal. As they went past we could see the FO's side window completely blocked with a sunshade.

Hoser
ROLL TIDE!

Latest resources

Back