• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ: Pilots Fail to Engage Jet Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ehe ERJ has a hydraulic pump that makes a god awful noise when only one engine is running. What I don't get is didn't the pilots in the back on that ferry flight tell the guys that engine was not started as they were about to take the runway? They were probably already asleep due to 15 hour day.

Wasn't a ferry flight. Was a regularly scheduled flight.

TSA vs United as well

Are you fools serious?

If you are really equating one semi-respectable (Eagle) and one completely sub-par (TSA, aka UFS aka BottomFeederService) commuters to AA and UAL, the time has come to put you in your place................. a turboprop from ALO-DBQ-SQI-ORD, maybe some would learn to actually fly in the process.

rr

The two guys in the TSA cockpit were 1) very senior check airman and 2) the director of OPS. One is on "administrative leave" and the other, nobody knows what is going on with him. Both have also supposedly had their certificates suspended. They lied about it and said when they pushed the power up, one engine spooled down, however the FOQA and multiple guys in the back called bull ********************.

Are you fools serious?

If you are really equating one semi-respectable (Eagle) and one completely sub-par (TSA, aka UFS aka BottomFeederService) commuters to AA and UAL, the time has come to put you in your place................. a turboprop from ALO-DBQ-SQI-ORD, maybe some would learn to actually fly in the process.

rr

Whoa calm down broseph....we're only talking about hull losses here.

Forgetting to turn on an engine...basic...but it's not like pilots haven't forgotten simple things before right?

Forgetting to FLY THE AIRPLANE because a gear light came on
Forgetting to stow the spoilers when GPWS alerts you to a Colombian mountain in front of you.
Running out of gas countless times

All those things have happened....we've just gotta learn from them. Were those pilots 250 hour wonder kids? No. Was at least one of the CAs in the "oops, didn't start an engine" a 250 hour wonder kid? Nope.

...but what do I know...I'm not making sense...I must have never done grueling turboprop flying or must be a 250 hour vonderyouth.

Amidoingitrite?

Wasn't a ferry flight. Was a regularly scheduled flight.

Oh. I heard it was a ferry flight. Then, they should have just manned up and said they forgot to turn on the engine. It wasn't really a safety risk. I'm sure they would have just gotten retraining.

Are you fools serious?

and one completely sub-par (TSA, aka UFS aka BottomFeederService) commuters to AA and UAL, r

You can't blame TSA for having fugly flight attendants and bad service. Most of them come from a 30mile radius of STL. STL and service do not mix.

The events, which haven't been reported before, ended safely with both regional jets turning off the runway without gaining speed or flying.

View Full Image

Associated Press
An American Eagle turbo-prop in Miami. A pilot for the airline recently didn't start an engine before getting ready to take off. No accident occurred.

The first mix-up involved an American Eagle Embraer jet....

I know some people like this guy's reporting, but come ON! Playing on the "nasty prop" mentality. If one was advanced for t/o and the other was secured, the crew would be thinking "Why so much rudder?" or they're looking at a ditch.

One way of reading the first part (for the uninformed) is that they did go down the runway THEN realized "Gee, we only have one engine running. We'd better stop." From the rest of the article, the planes were lined up. advanced the power, and then realized the problem.

I hate the media.

Latest resources

Back