• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Writing things down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those that use the FMS scratchpad for taxi clearance, could you give me a example of your personal shorthand? I'm an FMS developer and looking at ways to use this input to improve the FMS capabilities.

For those that use the FMS scratchpad for taxi clearance, could you give me a example of your personal shorthand? I'm an FMS developer and looking at ways to use this input to improve the FMS capabilities.

No matter the write down method, FMS or paper, the Captain should not be writing while taxiing the aircraft. Stopped and brakes set maybe, but the crossing delays created by writing or typing is a problem in itself.

(please note lack of tangent)

In addition to taxi instructions (you never know when a hold short is going to be thrown in) and new or revised clearances, I am lightning fast to whip out the pen and shorthand any weird crossing restrictions that pop up out of the blue ("descend now to FL350, then cross 25 miles north of XYZ at FL200")- beats making a hash out of it and/or having to ask "say again?" Now, if I was flying single pilot IFR, unless just after takeoff or on final approach, then I'd write everything, period- even altitude and frequency changes.

I'm with you. Just IFR clearances and frequencies. Writing anything other doesnt make much sense because short instructios you can just rmember the long ones that are actually worth writing you can't because they give you 7 instructios while rolling off the runway. Just repeat as best you can and put it on the fms scratchpad.

Looks like you better start writing things down...like how to spell.

As PF he should not be writing anything down.

But as PNF he's got every right to write whatever he feels necessary. How many runway incursions could have been avoided if they could refer to what was written down?

You guys need to quit acting like little high-school kids seeking approval by bashing others. You have to make fun of everyone who actually puts an effort into doing a good job, you point fingers after every accident, and half of you couldn't pass a 4th grade English test!!! :rolleyes:
And "repeat as best you can and put it in the FMS scratchpad"? Are you kidding me?!!
First, "as best you can" means that you invite more chance for error (read that "accident, dead bodies, fire, etc) and tie up the radio. You either read it back right or you read it back wrong.
Second, how is putting it in the scratchpad any less "shameful" than writing it down?

Last edited:
Maybe you guys should write up the FMS head if that's what you get. 5k plus hours in a CRJ-200 and only had a sticky key problem once or twice. When I did I wrote it up and it was fixed.

Waterski 8019 taxi 4R via Golf, Bravo 10, Tango 8, short 25R, then behind American MD80.

FMS (Honeywell....paper on Universal):

--4R--G.B10.T8//25R...AA80

Sadly right as I got my system down...furloughed.

LOTS! of NJA guys write landing clearances in the scratchpad. No protocol for using the lights as an indicator. I even had one guy yell at me for not writing it in the scratchpad.

Write down what you need to stay out of trouble, just don't get in trouble writing it down.

I find that it helps to be looking at the airport diagram while receiving taxi instructions. Or you can make this job a lot harder than it really is and try to hurry and write stuff down, alleviating a lot of situation awareness.... Tunnel vision is cool, though.

I find that it helps to be looking at the airport diagram while receiving taxi instructions. Or you can make this job a lot harder than it really is and try to hurry and write stuff down, alleviating a lot of situation awareness.... Tunnel vision is cool, though.

Airport diagram above the FMS when on ground.

FMS shorthand

???

Profit

When I'm flying with a guy who writes everything down I have two thoughts:

1. Great, this guys won't miss anything, and

2. Great, this guy is makeing us look retarded by missing calls.

My point is use common sense. When Ground says, "taxi to runway 2 via Alfa" they sort of expect a response within 2 or 3 seconds. When you take 10 seconds to write it down they end up coming back with, "xyz, how copy?"

As to you regional guys, most all of you are hub and spoke. The big airport is the hub and the small airports with easy taxi routes are outside. After a few months on the job the "hub" should be second nature. The outstations should be VERY simple routes. Nobody is getting, "taxi to 25C via T8, T, R3, C, YY, Z" at an outstation.

Wanna write it down? Fine, I'm not gonna stop you. But for the love of God please respond with, "Taxi to Runway 27 via Alfa" within a couple seconds or we both look stupid.

Disclaimer: There are two of us and I would never move the plane unless we were both sure of where we were supposed to be going. If either of us have any doubt I stop and we querry ATC. I'm just saying please respond first to simple taxi clearances and then write it down. If it's long and drawn out (you can foresee that instance by a quick look at the airport diagram) then please do write it down on your little sheet of paper on the yoke clip or the FMS scratchpad or whatever.

As always, Fly Safe.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back