Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

zuka

freight doggy dog
I recently flew with somebody who writes everything down. Even to the point that recently he had his pen ready as he was pulling off the high speed so he was ready to write down the taxi clearance while he was pilot flying. He is a very good pilot and I'm not criticizing him, but comparing him to myself who relies on short term memory for a lot of instructions.

The purpose of this is to analyze technique and identify any possible hazardous attitudes or techniques to improve safety.

I've flown with a lot of pilots and I would say 70% rely on short term memory for simple taxi clearances and vectors or altitudes. Some start off the day by writing down a simple taxi clearance then after a few hours are doing it by memory.

I think for myself I write down instructions that are not be used in the immediate future such as a departure clearance or an air reroute, for instructions that will be used in the immediate future I usually use short term memory and do not write it down.

Below are some examples:

Departure Clearance - Yes, EVERYBODY EVERYBODY should write this down!

Cleared for takeoff - Never seen anybody write this down

Turn Left 330, Descend 3000 - People usually don't write this down

Descent 3000, DPL4A arrival, proceed direct DPL - similar to last but longer?

Contact center 125.25 - I've seen some people write this down, I don't

Taxi 36L via Echo - usually I use memory and don't write it down.

Taxi W2,T,T3,Z parking spot 203 - Similar to last but longer - maybe should write it down?

What technique do you use?

Main, I doesn't write nuttin' down.... I kan member anythang I done hear.... Hey, what was we talkin' bout?
bouyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

I recently flew with somebody who writes everything down. Even to the point that recently he had his pen ready as he was pulling off the high speed so he was ready to write down the taxi clearance while he was pilot flying. He is a very good pilot and I'm not criticizing him, but comparing him to myself who relies on short term memory for a lot of instructions.

The purpose of this is to analyze technique and identify any possible hazardous attitudes or techniques to improve safety.

I've flown with a lot of pilots and I would say 70% rely on short term memory for simple taxi clearances and vectors or altitudes. Some start off the day by writing down a simple taxi clearance then after a few hours are doing it by memory.

I think for myself I write down instructions that are not be used in the immediate future such as a departure clearance or an air reroute, for instructions that will be used in the immediate future I usually use short term memory and do not write it down.

Below are some examples:

Taxi W2,T,T3,Z parking spot 203 - Similar to last but longer - maybe should write it down?

I would strongly recommend writing down ALL taxi instructions no matter how simple. Other than that, I would only write down stuff you might not remember.

wow r u 4 real dude just do the damn job your way and don't worry bout anyone else. sounds like maybe YOU have the problem :laugh:

All taxi instructions...

taxi to 4L

write it the heck down...it may sound stupid, it may sound silly but it will save you one day.

Headings and altitudes nope. Taxi, reroute, holds, clearances yes. It may sound dorky, but I have a notepad that has specific IFR clearance sections. Yes it costs me money and I go through em, but my license cost more than paper.

write down whatever you feel you need to write down. i guess it would be personal preference. I write down complicated taxi instructions and hold shorts. ATC reroutes..things like that. other than that I usually rely on my memory.

Below are some examples:

I'm with you. Just IFR clearances and frequencies. Writing anything other doesnt make much sense because short instructios you can just rmember the long ones that are actually worth writing you can't because they give you 7 instructios while rolling off the runway. Just repeat as best you can and put it on the fms scratchpad.

ATIS, taxi instructions, holds, reroutes, T/O and Arrival briefings. Remember we have protocols for altitude/heading/FMS changes etc. And my personal favourite is the ACARS printer :)

Latest resources

Back