Wright fight getting ugly!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HEY BABES,

I gotta say, this is certainly a great thread man. I started reading it and it had 4 pages and now its already up to 8! woweee!

Cant we all just get along babe-a-roo. Coo Coo Ca Choooooo.

I don't know which is more funny, your post or your name! I fell out of my chair.

enigma said:
Dang man, be careful with those thoughts. If AA is tall pine needing to surrounded by its kind, that might mean that they will manufacture a reason to file Bankrupcy so that they can join their kind. That might leave SWA as the next lonely tall pine, which is not something that I want to contemplate. If AA becomes an injured, cornered rat the game could get really ugly in a very short period of time.

enigma
Well..Look around..

All the big players are in BK except for SWA and CA..

Where do you think ticket prices will go?

The pressure on AA will be intense.

SWA is in the best position to survive the dying off of the old business model.. but we arnt bullit proof.

Even GK has said 2006 is going to be very tough to make any money due to the high cost of fuel..And thats AFTER being hedged.

Its going to be a very interesting holiday travel season.

Empty threats? We've seen this before. 1917 letter to businesses and town councils in Grand Junction CO.

Dear Mr. M.
I wonder if you appreciate that the Colorado Midland RR will be sold for junk unless it can be operated at a profit. The time to get busy is now. If your town did not have a competing railroad they would have to put up substantial funds to aid a company in building in. All they have to do now in insure the continued operation of the Midland is to do quiet, effective agitating along the line to see that the Midland gets the business.
The Colorado Midland can be junked and sold at a handsome profit to everyone who now has their money at stake. There is no reason why the people who put up their money should see it slowly dissipated in the operation of a railroad, which is not supported by the people equally, if not more concerned, than those who have their money at stake. It has always been my principle to protect the people who have put up their money, and this case will prove no exception.
Yours very truly, A.E.Carlton

The Colorado Midland was junked and sold for scrap in 1918

Hey fellow SWA pilots,

C'mon , you guys that are being antagonistic please stop. I take a lot of pride in our pilot group and I hate to see it when one of my brothers or sisters stoop to another level. It's one thing to be arguementative but being antagonistic is different.

I know my spelling sux

MLBWINGBORN, your first post seemed to take the position that AA's quiver was empty save for empty threats and scare tactics. Then you segued to your prediction that AA was soon to follow the other legacy carriers into BK.

I don't see the connection. I don't think that AA is left with nothing more than empty threats and scare tactics, as the political power on their side is formidable.

Nor do I think that AA is on the verge of BK. AA is well run business. They should not be taken lightly.

enigma

Good defense for SWA not going to DFW....On Monday I had a trip that terminated at DFW. Taxiing out to fly to Love Field, took close to 40 minutes to get the clearance to take-off. The flight lasted less than 10 minutes from DFW - DAL. This happened at around 5:00 P.M. This is what bothers SWA about DFW more so than going into the spider's web or whatever campy thing Herb said about it in the news paper. People like to use LAX as an example of the similarities but drop LAX inside of DFW and it is much smaller and more landlocked.

sf260pilot said:
Good defense for SWA not going to DFW....On Monday I had a trip that terminated at DFW. Taxiing out to fly to Love Field, took close to 40 minutes to get the clearance to take-off. The flight lasted less than 10 minutes from DFW - DAL. This happened at around 5:00 P.M. This is what bothers SWA about DFW more so than going into the spider's web or whatever campy thing Herb said about it in the news paper. People like to use LAX as an example of the similarities but drop LAX inside of DFW and it is much smaller and more landlocked.

Maybe SWA should spend their resources in an attempt to get the FAA to bring some Ohare controllers to DFW. DFW is frightfully pitiful when dealing with traffic. God knows, DFW has enought concrete. If they would learn to use it well, SWA and everyone else could make time there.

It might help if you lear boys stayed away, the controllers don't know what to do with someone who actually taxis faster than a fast trot. :)

Calvin

AA will not go BK. AA is stronger than people here think. For the purposes of the Wright debate they don't flaunt it. Why do you think DFW can't find someone to roll in and compete with AA? I don't think CAL will go BK either. They have done what it takes to stay out of it for at least 2 years. They aren't losing enough, sometimes profitable, and have too much cash. Their situation is similar to Delta's after 9/11, but are closer to profitability. Delta couldn't go BK in 2003 because they still had too much cash and assets. They could have in late 2004 but waited until now.

Worst case scenario-- Oil goes to 80+ a barrel and capacity remains too high. AA and CAL on track for possible BK in late 2006 but won't for a year or two after that. But in this situation SWA will stop growing as well. Talk from GK about improving productivity will move on toward temporary pay reduction. JetBlue and Airtran would probably struggle too.

More likely scenario-- CAL and AA will be (barely?) profitable. They will be paying their bills, pensions and loans. Don't go by any Vaughn Cordle 2003 and 2004 historical data showing how high their costs are. The costs at UAL, CAL, AA and even DAL (if the pensions get changed or flushed) are MUCH lower now. NWA, by their medieval management methods, will have UAL or lower costs. If they survive they will start making money exiting BK too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back