Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And...?

CitationLover said:
oh yeah, f-PETA. do you know they kill over 1500 strays a year?

But only for snacks...

SWA is a shrewed business player, so whats your point Yoda?

scoreboard said:
But only for snacks...

SWA is a shrewed business player, so whats your point Yoda?

the point is exactly that.

why is AMR, or any OTHER airline, "engaging in unfair business practices", while SWA (the little angel that could) would never stoop to that level? it's that mentality i'm trying to point out.

Citationlover,

Nobody is a perfect little angel but, I would put SWA's business and lobbying practices up against anyones. They want the ability to compete freely. They are not asking for subsidies or for legislation that is focused on being anti- any other carrier. I know of one carrier that, at least pre 9-11, employed one lobbyist that focused only on raising costs forSWA. If Wright goes away, I am sure other carriers will enter the market at Love.

CR

Chest Rockwell said:
Citationlover,

Nobody is a perfect little angel but, I would put SWA's business and lobbying practices up against anyones. They want the ability to compete freely. They are not asking for subsidies or for legislation that is focused on being anti- any other carrier. I know of one carrier that, at least pre 9-11, employed one lobbyist that focused only on raising costs forSWA. If Wright goes away, I am sure other carriers will enter the market at Love.

CR

however those carriers are at the SAME disadvantage SWA uses for not moving to DFW, ie being second fiddle to a dominant carrier.

I like SWA and they a great airline. I am just tired of the spin of the Wright Ammendment and they failure to explain how and why it exists. It wasn't to stiffle SWA. It was to give SWA an exemption to operate out of LOVE, while all others had to move to DFW and cease all operations out of Love Field (DAL).

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!

SWA was allowed to operate out of Love after several years of legal battles. It was the courts that ruled SWA could use Love, nobody else.

The Wright Ammendment was in resonse to de-regulation, nearly five years after the court battle over SWA and Love was done. While under regulation, SWA could not fly outside of Texas. After de-regulation in 1978, SWA began to expand outside of Texas (New Orleans being the first destination). As the powers that be in Dallas - American, Braniff and Texas International - realized that SWA could do to them outside of Texas as they had done inside of Texas, they used their political clout to stiffle the growth of SWA outside of Texas - thus the Wright Ammendment.

If you want to blame anyone about SWA being able to use Love while others could not, blame the people that used poorly written language in the bond covenants for DFW. It was their oversight in the language that allowed SWA to operate out of Love.

There are a few very good books that cover the subject.

Last edited:
NEDude said:
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!

SWA was allowed to operate out of Love after several years of legal battles. It was the courts that ruled SWA could use Love, nobody else.

The Wright Ammendment was in resonse to de-regulation, nearly five years after the court battle over SWA and Love was done. While under regulation, SWA could not fly outside of Texas. After de-regulation in 1978, SWA began to expand outside of Texas (New Orleans being the first destination). As the powers that be in Dallas - American, Braniff and Texas International - realized that SWA could do to them outside of Texas as they had done inside of Texas, they used their political clout to stiffle the growth of SWA outside of Texas - thus the Wright Ammendment.

If you want to blame anyone about SWA being able to use Love while others could not, blame the people that used poorly written language in the bond covenants for DFW. It was their oversight in the language that allowed SWA to operate out of Love.

There are a few very good books that cover the subject.

RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT.....WRIGHT!!

That statement you take issue with is correct. Remember, SWA could have gone anywhere they wanted to....from DFW! With regard to the current context this fight has assumed, your point is irrelevant. You say as much when you mention the authors of the bond covenants. SWA benefited from an ill-gotten strategic advantage at LUV and now they want to completely exploit the deal.

No airline would have left LUV if they had understood what would be going on today. If SWA wants to operate from LUV in an unrestricted manner that would be representative of a world where DFW was never built, then they can pay back every taxpayer, every airline worker, every share[bond]holder, etc. etc. that paid for DFW, with interest and surrender the valuable ground they have been squatting on to the rightful owners.

It could matter less if SWA was a party to the original deal or not. Because the truth of the matter is this: If the Metroplex could truly scale the economies of both airports and recoup the proper fees from Love Field that SWA should be paying, SWA would betray that deal as well and try to move to ADS or Alliance (or some dirt strip for that matter). Anywhere, where they can ply their folksy, pseudo-hick "SWA effect".

Resistance is futile

CitationLover said:
the point is exactly that.

why is AMR, or any OTHER airline, "engaging in unfair business practices", while SWA (the little angel that could) would never stoop to that level? it's that mentality i'm trying to point out.

Their not, so please don't play the "Evil SWA Empire" card when we try to correct an unconstitutional anticompetitive piece of legislation

We are not "stooping" to any level other than what is legal, ethical, and smart business:)

Chest Rockwell said:
CitationLover,

Every airline lost a lot of money on 9-11. AA and UAL lost much more in the crews and passengers that were lost. SWA was in better position to react quickly to the changes in the industry.

BTW, I believe that SWA was the only airline to pay all its employees for the days they were shut down.

CR

Quite proud of yourselves, aren't you? Polish your nickels, stick them in your pocket and shut your trap. A better position? Is that what it is termed? That is what it is when you are not directly affected? Each of you SWA employees that responded to this thread disgust me.

I am pissed off at this reply more than I can air here.

Last edited:
SWA tech said:
AA what a bunch of crying babies. That is fine more cities for SWA to fly to I wish AA would just bring it or not already.

Just make sure you say that when you come up to ask for the jumpseat.

I would LUV to tell you were to stick it.

Have a nice DAAy.

AA

SWA the poor under-dog... my A$$..

Latest resources

Back