Wright Amendment to lose some punch today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aa73 said:
It was sarcasm directed at his "I hate-AA" tone... for which you guys are notorious.

:beer:

And you guys aren't notorious for "it's all TWA's fault?" "Blame it on Supp CC", "Nordstrums vs Kmart", "They are lucky to have a job" "hotdog vendors" etc etc???

NAA Pilot said:
LUV: DAL to MCI round trip = 273.50

AA: DFW to MCI round trip = 158.00

(I used December 15 with return on December 17th)

It is too close to get the super saver fare on us. But I went to the 23rd with a return on the 26th and found this................

LUV: DAL to MCI round trip = $153.90

AA: DFW to MCI round trip = $328.40

It would be tough to figure out though, we JUST started the route and AA has been selling ticket for awhile, so there may have been some fares that were less.

Looking at February I found ......................

LUV: DAL to MCI round trip = $153.90 (with taxes)

AA: DFW to MCI round trip = $178.40 ($158.00 plus taxes)

Last edited:
Skyboss said:
1. Those routes are already competitive in nature. All Large markets are.
2. Any lost income will just be recovered on other routes. Short haul routes like this are profitable at $100 a seat, even for AA. They're even profitable down to about $59-69. An MD-80 run for AA seat cost is about $40.
3. The big hit will be on smaller connecting routes, but there's enough demand on these routes to connect a 737-800 or MD-80 to each major bank to offset what will be an overcapacity situation initially as AA and WN try to throw in 10-14 round trips each.

Skyboss,

You don't really think AA is going to put an MD-80 or 737/800 on those routes do you? Try about a dozen regional jets each. That's the AA answer to save costs and be competitive is to cram customers onto a small uncomfortable regional jet whose crews and other employees receive welfare wages. All to the horror of their customers who climb into the cramped RJ cabin and gasp in disbelief since they booked their ticket on the AA website. AA will keep taking MD-80's off line and replacing them with RJs and furloughing mainline pilots to compete with the LCCs. C'mon. Why do you even defend this?

NAA Pilot said:
And you guys aren't notorious for "it's all TWA's fault?" "Blame it on Supp CC", "Nordstrums vs Kmart", "They are lucky to have a job" "hotdog vendors" etc etc???

Nope, I'm sure as heck not. Having spent five years growing up in STL and having many friends that flew for TWA, I always saw both sides of the story. Those quotes were made by the APA leadership that set up the deal, not the rank and file. Most of the rank and file felt helpless towards the whole deal, since there was nothing we could do about it. Your pilot group is/was a class act, and I'm not alone in saying that here in "Sky Nazi Land."

elcid said:
Skyboss,

You don't really think AA is going to put an MD-80 or 737/800 on those routes do you? Try about a dozen regional jets each. That's the AA answer to save costs and be competitive is to cram customers onto a small uncomfortable regional jet whose crews and other employees receive welfare wages. All to the horror of their customers who climb into the cramped RJ cabin and gasp in disbelief since they booked their ticket on the AA website. AA will keep taking MD-80's off line and replacing them with RJs and furloughing mainline pilots to compete with the LCCs. C'mon. Why do you even defend this?

Elcid,

I'm sorry but AA has already confirmed that they will be operating "Mainline jets", not Eagle, out of DAL. Probably MD80s. No more furloughs, in fact just the opposite, we will be recalling pilots next year. I don't know where you get your info but it is mistaken. The RJ market is already saturated, and Eagle has stopped receiving new RJs. We still have a bunch of MD80s parked in the desert, so if we ever expand a little domestically, it will probably be mainline.

Skyboss said:
I know your business plan has flaws and I know your growth potential is finite. Did you know that? Probably not.

Finite....well yes, that is true, assuming we don't start flying to towns like Ardmore, OK, but in the meantime here's a link you might read to give you something else to think about.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.comb.perm.html

What happens when we open a new city? More pairing options.

The only thing that is constant is change. Most guys at SWA aren't as arrogant as you think they are.

Yahtz

skyboss is a loser..... sorry dude. But your momma still loves you:)

Yahtze,

I just pulled a muscle reading that website...since I'm on an overnight I'm going OJI thanks to you...:laugh: ...hope all is well for you...call when you get to big D again...cheers,

Slug,

I know better...your brain may be filled with hops and barley, but you're called Slug for a reason. It's like calling the family Mastoff 'Tiny'...your gig is up...;)

Chase...Happy, Happy Holidays! If permutations and combinations hurt, don't click on the link about fuel hedging from the guys at Northwestern....it's about 24 pages long, and chopped full of math. ;)

Go Dawgs! Sic 'Em...Woof! Woof! Woof!

Latest resources

Back