Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wow I only need 350 hours and 25k to fly an RJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It reads like the original American Eagle program from 1991.

Pay us money, we give you some training...and you are on your own. Good Luck! not!

Does anyone happen to know if Part 121 ever had time requirements similiar to Pt 135? If so, why were they dropped to the current level? (the current level basically being none)

I'm not sure what needs to be done to reverse this trend, but I have a suspicion that minimum times (comparable to 135) would be a big step. Personally, I feel that everyone should flight instruct at least ONE primary and instrument student, as well as have some single-pilot (ala freight) under their belts. At the minimum, a comfort with flying in adverse weather.

I think that every pilot ultimately needs to ask themselves whether or not they're capable of handing that aircraft in the event of the Captain becoming incapacitated. If not, there's a problem.

The Truth said:
Personally, I feel that everyone should flight instruct at least ONE primary and instrument student, as well as have some single-pilot (ala freight) under their belts. At the minimum, a comfort with flying in adverse weather.

Yeah, thats exactly what I need. The FAA regulating what I can do with my certs. and ratings even more. I'm not advocation going out and paying 25K for an airline job at only 250 hours, but there are ways around instructing. I happened to instruct, and learned a lot out of it, but to tell someone they HAVE to get their CFII and instruct at least one primary and instrument student is kinda out there.

You just have to realize that times have changed. Just because you may have had to "pay your dues" and fly crappy planes in crappy weather for crappy pay, doesn't mean thats the norm anymore. I do however have the utmost respect for those that did go through that. With CAPT, Direct Track, and ATP along with the PFT you are going to get the low timers whether you like it or not. That's just how it is now.

Last edited:
How are these people getting interviews? I have about 1020TT/300ME which is still pretty low, and a bachelors in aviation management and nobody will even look at me. How are these 500TT/20ME no degree people getting hired? sheesh...

Anyone can petition the FAA for NPRM.

Write your congressman. Start a petition.

Buy a page in the USA Today.

"Your cancelled checks require a pilot with over one-thousand hours of experience to fly them to the federal reserve.

An airline pilot may have as little as 250 hours of experience.

Why is a piece of paper more important than your own life?
Call your congressman and tell him to support proposition #1 - Raise FAR121 minimums to 2000 hrs."

We can all complain about it here on Flightinfo.com to no avail. Until the FAA gets pressure from the traveling public nothing will change.

Better have deep pockets though, because the ATA is certainly going to fight back.

BushwickBill said:
Check out what I got in my email box! Sweet! No more paying dues as an instrument instructor or running around golfers in the Caravan. Do I get to wear a cool hat? Can I wear a backpack? 19 bucks an hour would be a 50% pay cut from what I make as an instructor but hell this must be the opportunity of a lifetime. I mean its not like I didn't spend a lot of money on my CIME instructor ticket but wow for only 25k what a deal!

Well, somebody has to fly the little RJ's when everybody gets moved up to the E170/190 Mainline aircraft.

A friend just sent me this email. Holy smoke! Is this for real?

On-Site Interviews with Pinnacle Airlines / Northwest Airlink

In just three weeks, Pinnacle Airlines (Northwest Airlink) will
interview a pool of ATP Instructors and Airline Transition Program
graduates on-site at ATP's headquarters in Jacksonville Beach, Florida.

Pinnacle will also interview a select number of pilots prior to their
enrollment in the Airline Transition Program for Conditional Offers of
Employment.

After successful completion of the interview, Pinnacle knows that
applicants will quickly gain a high level of proficiency and
standardization in ATP's 60-day Airline Transition Program.
If you're
pursuing an airline job, have 350 hours total time
, and would like to
know you're hired before investing $24,995, visit ATP's web site and
complete the application to be invited to 4 days of complimentary
interview and sim prep, and an interview with Pinnacle.

Check out the web site for details:

[URL="http://www2.atpflightschool.com/go.lasso?p=a&c=56870"]http://www2.atpflightschool.com/go.lasso?p=a&c=56870[/URL]

I don't favor these programs but maybe the industry has to realise that the level of training is so advanced now that 350 hour guys can fly the RJs. Also fo r those who have 1500+ hours and have not received offers, maybe you need some advanced training. Sim time is highley valued now for reg applicants. I talked to a former learjet sim instructor, he says that there is no difference between the sim and the real plane. If you can fly the sim well you can fly the real thing. Look at the military, they have similar hours when they start flying thos expensive planes. I would rather have somebody who has more sim time than 1000 hours of runs around the traffic pattern.

Last edited:
gringo said:
My sim partner at my last job was one of these 300 hour wonder kids.

He crashed on his checkride.

Twice.

And yes, in case you're wondering, he passed.

Get outta here!!! How is that possible?!

What company was that?

Latest resources

Back