Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wow I only need 350 hours and 25k to fly an RJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I love this. Back when some of you guys had 500 hrs., if you were offered a job on an RJ or TP, you would have turned it down, right? Sure buddy, keep on telling yourself that. Right or wrong, its going on and I dont think your career would be going in any different direction if they had ATP mins for the new guys. Remember, the guy that gets hired with 2000-3000TT is going to screw up in training, fail checkrides, have a bad attitude, accept the same pay rates, just like the 500hr. guys are going to do. Just get over it.

The Truth said:
Face it, boys and girls, this is what your "profession" has come to. Name a regional that doesn't have a bridge program which slashes published minimums? ...makes me sick.

Air Wisconsin does not have a bridge program.

AWACoff said:
Air Wisconsin does not have a bridge program.

I know plenty of people that got hired there with less than 500 hours and the crj type.

punkpilot48 said:
I know plenty of people that got hired there with less than 500 hours and the crj type.

I don't know "plenty", but I do know AWAC takes kids from RAA in Arizona that go through some kind of "FOS" course or something where the candidate buys a CRJ type. I heard one pinked his type ride in DEN, still got hired. Amazing.

Some of these guys buy a CRJ type and then get hired at a ERJ oepration. What a joke.

Yeah I used to work at raa Ive seen plenty of guys and gals go through.

Quiet Flight said:
A friend just sent me this email. Holy smoke! Is this for real?

On-Site Interviews with Pinnacle Airlines / Northwest Airlink

In just three weeks, Pinnacle Airlines (Northwest Airlink) will
interview a pool of ATP Instructors and Airline Transition Program
graduates on-site at ATP's headquarters in Jacksonville Beach, Florida.

Pinnacle will also interview a select number of pilots prior to their
enrollment in the Airline Transition Program for Conditional Offers of
Employment.

After successful completion of the interview, Pinnacle knows that
applicants will quickly gain a high level of proficiency and
standardization in ATP's 60-day Airline Transition Program.
If you're
pursuing an airline job, have 350 hours total time
, and would like to
know you're hired before investing $24,995, visit ATP's web site and
complete the application to be invited to 4 days of complimentary
interview and sim prep, and an interview with Pinnacle.

Check out the web site for details:

http://www2.atpflightschool.com/go.lasso?p=a&c=56870

There is no more stick and rudder pilots in those RJs... It's all about flight management and pushing buttons, a 250hr guy or gal can do that. and when it's get ugly....well hopefully the PIC will know what to do...

jeroom said:
...It's all about flight management and pushing buttons, a 250hr guy or gal can do that...
The only substitute for experience is horsepower.

I've been conducting IOE in a 50 seater for 4 years. The low-time guys that come to me from paint-by-numbers, push-button simulator land are not ready.

It's really frustrating when you have to spend the first 2 days teaching pitch+power=performance and that you are supposed to give the ATIS code on initial contact with Approach Control. Hand-flown visual approaches are a study in airborne chaos.

I hear crew-room talk from captains who say they should be getting IOE pay for flying with the guys who just came out on the line. My response is "Hey, you got them when they had 25 hours in the airplane. I got them when they had zero."

The upgrade candidates that come to me get 25 hours of "thou shalt not let thy confidence exceed thy abilities" and "when in doubt, don't." They get absolutely no help in decision making. They get extensive debrief on their decision making, however. I develop a mental image of them flying with the FO I signed off last week and use that as the basis for my decision whether to sign them off. Sometimes I don't. It's hard work.

I intend no disrespect to these guys. I'd have gone into the right seat of a jet at 250 hours had that been available to me; as would have all of us. They are doing their best but the experience just isn't there. The check airmen are pushing for more stringent hiring minimums, but those decisions are above our paygrade. We have a pretty good idea where the deficiencies consistently lie and we keep plugging.

Last edited:
Axel said:
The only substitute for experience is horsepower.

I've been conducting IOE in a 50 seater for 4 years. The low-time guys that come to me from paint-by-numbers, push-button simulator land are not ready.

It's really frustrating when you have to spend the first 2 days teaching pitch+power=performance and that you are supposed to give the ATIS code on initial contact with Approach Control. Hand-flown visual approaches are a study in airborne chaos.

I hear crew-room talk from captains who say they should be getting IOE pay for flying with the guys who just came out on the line. My response is "Hey, you got them when they had 25 hours in the airplane. I got them when they had zero."

The upgrade candidates that come to me get 25 hours of "thou shalt not let thy confidence exceed thy abilities" and "when in doubt, don't." They get absolutely no help in decision making. They get extensive debrief on their decision making, however. I develop a mental image of them flying with the FO I signed off last week and use that as the basis for my decision whether to sign them off. Sometimes I don't. It's hard work.

I intend no disrespect to these guys. I'd have gone into the right seat of a jet at 250 hours had that been available to me; as would have all of us. They are doing their best but the experience just isn't there. The check airmen are pushing for more stringent hiring minimums, but those decisions are above our paygrade. We have a pretty good idea where the deficiencies consistently lie and we keep plugging.

If they are not qualified, why did your fellow IP's not spot this during the sim training phase?

Everywhere in the world takes ab-initio pilots with < 300, its one of the oldest debates out there. The key is making sure the filter before arriving on line is solid. If your training dept is putting thses guys on line without them beeing ready - there is a systemic issue with the filter.

respectfully.

fareview

Alot of the training these guys have is training them for the sim. The sim is different than the actual airplane. He mentioned knowing to tell approach that you have ATIS. I've found that a lot of the sim training I have recieved skips over that stuff and goes straight into "whoops! you just lost your right engine! What are you going to do now?" kind of stuff. If you come from these academies, they train you for this kind of stuff, so you become an expert at simulator emergencies. What Axel is talking about is day-to-day kind of stuff that is easily overlooked and missed with such low time.

The Quick Start Programs know which boxes need to be checked on interviews and in training. They can train to the checkride and ignore everything not applicable. Not much different than knowing your local D.E.'s "standard" checkride and training to it. Frankly, the PTS and FAR61 requirements even leave holes. As long as they never run into any situations outside of what they were trained for, all is well.

It works because the low timers are coming in with what they need to know to get the job, make it through the training syllabus and get to IOE. The IP's are the ones stuck getting them signed off and the line captains are the ones who are babysitting and keeping them safe and legal while they learn. Just like any other certification or qualification, it is the minimum standard and just a chance to learn more. Just like a new Instrument Rating, it is a great opportunity to learn a lot about flying or get dead fast. The big trick is knowing what you dont know and acting appropriately.

Kids, if you are thinking about an airline career, learn as much as you can about flying. Do yourself a favor and teach others how to fly. Teach primaries, teach a LOT of instruments, teach commercials and ATPs. If you arent interested enough to soak up everything related to flying and be the best possible instructor you can be, flying is probably not for you. Lose a bit of seniority down the road? Sure, but the industry is such a krap-shoot, who can tell if that year or two would make much difference in the long run? Luck may have it that waiting will benefit you greatly, especially if you are able to get a better feel for the industry before pledging you allegiance to any given seniority list, and have the qualifications to go for the one you really want.

If you dont LOVE the act and challenge of flying, do yourself a favor and go into another profession, you will be much happier in the long run. The pay, the lifestyle, the prestige; they are gone- or at least slipping away.

Ok, Ill come down off my high-horse now.....

Latest resources

Back