• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BS. Only those who got into this job for the wrong reasons hate their jobs.
Sitting next to idiots like you, makes me hate my job and want to club you like a baby seal.
PBR
This job isn't about flying, its about moving idiots from one trailer park to another one in another state.
F'EMWEGTTHERMNY

There has been a lot of good discussion on this board. I agree that your wife needs to be on board. My opinion is that you should keep your job while working towards becoming a CFI. After you get all of your tickets then instruct part-time while keeping your day job. This should be your routine until you find a decent flying job that can pay the bills. If you don't for a while don't sweat it. Given enough time, you will. Simply refuse to work for substandard wages for too long without a carrot, ie, quick upgrade, etc. Consider a starter corporate job as they pay better than bottom level FO jobs at any regional ( again unless there is a quick upgrade). Many in the corporate world transition to the majors when the timing is right. Keep a list of all of your contacts along the way, they can help in the event that you get laid off. Keep your CFI current, that is, as long as you like instructing, which I did. Keep your options open. You should also have a plan B in the event that you lose your medical or license. Its a lot to do,but if you love it, its worth it, and if you don't, you'll know before getting to far involved. Good Luck!

I was a career changer. I have seen it all. A couple years instructing, flying freight, regional, and a "National". I have been furloughed, affected by 9/11, and seen this industry COMPLETELY change. I would not recommend to anybody to get into this industry. But most people that want in don't listen. So here are The things that helped me make it through:

My wife works, and actually has a pretty good job. We always have lived on her paycheck and anything I made was bonus. And for many years my pay did not cover much. Does you wife like her job? Is it pretty secure?

We paid off ALL our debt (except house) and put aside a large emergency fund BEFORE I LEFT MY SECURE JOB. THIS IS HUGE. Six months emergency fund. Before you leave a secure job discipline yourself to live on what you are going to be making and save money. See what it is like and if the family (wife) approves. Don't live at your current lifestyle while you are making less.

Don't leave a job (especially your current one) until you have a job.

I will never catch up to my career earnings at my last career. If you think money is the reason to come over hear then you will be very disappointed. Good luck.

I am not up on the current pay scales, but iirc isn't the $15,000/yr only for the first year or two?? Even at the regionals it seemed like you could do pretty good after the first couple of years? Unless I am wrong or things have changed.

The OP is making $70K/yr and home every night. In 6 years at ACA and 4+ years at AirTran, I haven't made $70K/yr yet and I'm sure not home every night.

Do what I did initially, build a career outside aviation where you can afford your own airplane and use it for business and build time on your own. Then, when and if you decide you want to take the plunge, you can do it on your own terms and then get out later if you decide you don't like it. So far, I'm happy with the move, but that could change. I recently had a chance to go back to my old career with a six figure salary, and I turned it down. It's nice to have options. In fact, that is what makes me the most happy, having options. Good luck.

Honestly, I think you have to evaluate things on a job by job basis. My current situation is fairly good, but that's mainly because I have relatively good seniority for bidding and I have a base that I want. Would I trade the job that I have now for yours? Probably not. Would I trade some other regional job at a base I didn't want or being stuck low on reserve for what you have now? Absolutely I would. In fact, I'm about halfway done with a masters degree in accounting as a hedge against just those types of things. I love flying, and I love doing it for a job, but I could definitely love flying for fun and working a normal job as well. It all just depends.

Of course, if I were flying for fun, I wouldn't get to fly in crappy weather, which is something that I actually really look forward to. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only who holds this opinion. What can I say, I'm a freak of nature.

Honestly, I think you have to evaluate things on a job by job basis. My current situation is fairly good, but that's mainly because I have relatively good seniority for bidding and I have a base that I want. Would I trade the job that I have now for yours? Probably not. Would I trade some other regional job at a base I didn't want or being stuck low on reserve for what you have now? Absolutely I would. In fact, I'm about halfway done with a masters degree in accounting as a hedge against just those types of things. I love flying, and I love doing it for a job, but I could definitely love flying for fun and working a normal job as well. It all just depends.

Of course, if I were flying for fun, I wouldn't get to fly in crappy weather, which is something that I actually really look forward to. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only who holds this opinion. What can I say, I'm a freak of nature.

I love flying in crappy weather too. I haven't been doing much flying lately, but when I was doing my double "I", I used to want to go up and do approaches in actual to minimums with 30 knot winds in my 172.

Follow Your Dream.... with her permissison!!

I learned to fly early in life and was very passionate about it also. I also had a good career before I pursued the airline job I now have. Now, I have a GREAT career! My only regret is that I did not pursue my dream of an airline job earlier in life. I have been flying professionally for 11 years and love flying more now than ever. Go for it now - Or regret it later!

I love flying in crappy weather too. I haven't been doing much flying lately, but when I was doing my double "I", I used to want to go up and do approaches in actual to minimums with 30 knot winds in my 172.

I used to be the exact same way, although I wouldn't be nearly as agressive with weather as I used to be if I were flying a single-engine piston. I'm glad I lived through that. I should qualify what I said earlier: I love flying in crappy weather in an airplane with two turbine engines. It's a difference of raising an eyebrow and remarking, "Wow, that's a lot of ice." vs. freaking out and declaring an emergency.

But I did have the old One Seven Deuce down to mins a couple times... and also landed in 30 kt crosswinds too, but never at the same time.

Yeah, glad I lived through that.

Latest resources

Back