• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll throw my .02 in here. I have always wanted to do the aviation thing as well. I don't know how old you are or where you are in life but, here's something to chew on. Personally, I think Chase has given the best advice you can get. The only thing I will add is look at the military option specifically the Air National Guard or the Air Force Reserve. If you're older than about 27 then this might not be an option for you. If your under that and have a 4yr degree there might be a fantastic oppurtunity waiting for you. I currently fly for the military and this saved my butt when I was furloughed a year ago from a regional. I made more money in the Guard than some captains at regionals this past year. I flew around the world and continued to build expereince for down the road. If you decide to go the aviation route it is absolutely critical to have a backup plan. If your wife can handle it (ie the ratings, you being gone, and all the other crap she needs to put up with in aviaiton) then pursue your dream. But, remember family first in your decisions.

Good idea as per military side! However; there are so many furlough guys out on the street, and in the military side of flying it is next to impossible to get picked up by the guards and the reserve units. Especially due to the fact that prior trained guys who left the military for airlines are going back to guards and reserve unit with their experience and contacts. Not trying to be a downer, just speaking by what I have experienced. Good Luck!!

Well, they call it WORK for a reason. Not s'posed to be fun all the time.

As others have stated, I'd buy part of a plane, finish my tickets, and at least try it out in a few years. You can do part-time CFI and part-time 135 and keep your day job. Then bail if it doesn't rock your world. The personal sacrifices which come with a pilot career are very high and it shows no sign of easing up. Good luck.

I would suggest buying a single engine(with maybe one good partner) and finding a good CFI to get you all of your flight training possible in the airplane that you own. When you sell that airplane you will still have a huge amount of equity and far less debt that financing all of your flight training with other means. HX

The best post thus far. Believe me.

I know the airline industry isn't anything like it used to be with the pay cuts etc, but I still think being a professional pilot would be one of the coolest jobs out there.

I know the airline industry isn't anything like it used to be with the pay cuts etc, but I still think being a professional pilot would be one of the coolest jobs out there.

Don't sell yourself short--it appears you already are a professional pilot. Like any job, it is what you make it. I know your mileage may vary, but I had a blast as a CFI. I could have done that for my whole career, if it weren't for the food stamp thing. Being an airline pilot is also a very rewarding job, but again, it is what you make it. I will admit that luck is half the factor needed to enjoy a successful career, though.

Just cause it's a cool job doesn't mean it will provide for your/his family.

I am not up on the current pay scales, but iirc isn't the $15,000/yr only for the first year or two?? Even at the regionals it seemed like you could do pretty good after the first couple of years? Unless I am wrong or things have changed.

Don't sell yourself short--it appears you already are a professional pilot. Like any job, it is what you make it. I know your mileage may vary, but I had a blast as a CFI. I could have done that for my whole career, if it weren't for the food stamp thing. Being an airline pilot is also a very rewarding job, but again, it is what you make it. I will admit that luck is half the factor needed to enjoy a successful career, though.

Thanks. I really enjoy instructing too. I just do it part time. I don't have the cash needed to build my multi time.=( Maybe I'll win the lottery someday then I can blow it all on an aviation career. LOL

Maybe this question should be asked in the Majors forum. Are they as disgruntled with their flying as the regional pilots?
At this point, it doesn't matter to much anyway. There won't be any decent hiring for a few more years. Then, it should get much better and at the worst, always some hiring to cover attrition. Most pilots aren't complaining nearly as much when they are moving up the seniority list:)
If you have time, go back and read post from early 2007. Are pilots then telling everyone to leave the industry?
For what it's worth, I'm probably resigning from my regional job and am taking a "desk" job that pays enough so that I can live decent. If I really love the industry, I figure I'll get back in when there is movement again.

Latest resources

Back