• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know its not want you want to hear, but flying for an airline just isnt what you think. Your daughter will grow up knowing mommy better than daddy, your wife will get lonely. Things happen while you are gone, both good and bad things. You wont be there. You wont get paid for not being there.

Yes looking up at the sky you will see airplanes and think, "Gawsh, that coulda been me!" But really dude, its not worth it at all.

Unless some unforseen major event happens that changes the aviation labor landscape, i'd seriously listen to everyone else telling you that flying for FUN is way more fun.

Save as much money as you can as a back up. Go for your dream. If not you'll never forgive yourself. I love this job. It has it's moments, but what job doesn't. There are times that I don't want to be on the road, don't want to be broken or delayed, and some holidays are missed. As long as your wife supports you pursuing your dream I say go for it. And don't let the crabby, negative jerks on here tell you otherwise!

And no I won't trade you, but I'll gladly buy you a beer on an overnight some day :beer:
I have had the pleasure of The Nuge occupying the jumpseat and barstool next to me (not at the same time). All I can say is he is of great character and I back this statement 100%.
If you want, PM me, I might have some ideas for you in SAT (my home is in Stone Oak).

Cheers- Rum

My GOD, what a bunch of whiney pu$$ies!!!

I am on my 15th year of professional flying and am even more in love with it than when I started.

It's what you make of it, yes the starting pay sucks, and I'll never go back to working for an airline EVER! But remember there are more than just airline jobs out there.

To all you disgruntled airline pilots, I say thank-you; you provide job security for me every time you open your mouth to show your disdain, and bemoan the people that actually pay your salaries, the passengers.

We all entered this profession for a reason, and very few of us did it for the money.

Follow your dreams, you'll regret it later if you don't!

Good luck landing the corporate/fractional gig without having to miss the first 10 years of your daughter's life.

First time poster long time reader. And yes, I’ve used the search function.

Ill keep it short and simple so I don’t waste your time.

I’m 26, married, with a 7 month old baby girl who is my world.
126 hours with an instrument. Wife makes just over $50,000 and I make just under $70,000 in retail management. I’m home every day by 7pm. 2 days off in a row but it's a job and career I absolutely hate.

BUT......Not a day goes by in the last 4 years where I look up and wish that was my office. Past posts from here have kept me from doing it. Most here seem to say the profession is dying.

My question to you is, would you trade me? Should I just suck it up, be a man and provide for my family in a job I hate?

Or go on, pursue my passion? Do I really have a decent chance at making a decent living and enjoying my career?

Tear me to shreds flightinfo

Pursue aviation and lose your family, pursue family and lose aviation. I think family is more important.

After a while, flying is much like any other job

WTF? Where's the link back to FI for titties sake?

What the f#$k are you sweethearts drinking today?

I can't believe it's up to me to drop this thread back into proper FI decorum.

The single most important piece of information this young man could EVER get on this website is that Mesa sucks.

The second most important piece of information is that we need compromising pictures of his hot ass wife NOW!

Please start bashing this poster properly. Wussies.

Hide your money, divorce the wife and let her keep the kids. Nothing smells as rewarding as the scent of burning JET-A at 7 AM.

Seriously though, you should pursue your dreams. Get the remainder of your certificates while keeping your job and CFI part-time until hiring picks up again. Aviation functions on a cyclical hiring cycle. A lot of pilots have walked away for good from this profession and there's a drop in student enrollment, so your chances are good if you prepare yourself now.

Enjoy your income, your baby, and your wife and go fly for fun. You will have the perfect life.

Sage advice.

Your family is far far far more important than flying aluminum tubes around the sky for work. Besides the fastest way to make something less fun, is to get paid for it.

Maybe get into an aircraft partnership, enjoy some of those weekends flying to get that 100 dollar hamburger. But treasure your family more, because that is your legacy.

Last edited:
Name your next girl Mesa, so when she gets older all the boys will know she sucks.

Name your next girl Mesa, so when she gets older all the boys will know she sucks.

Not really that funny of a joke (average at best), and I don't even work for MESA. Try it without his future daughter and it might be funnier.

Latest resources

Back