Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hardball,

I drifted from the majors forum to the regional forum and saw your interesting post/question. My apologies for intruding and my experience is a little different:

55 yrs, 20 yrs military, 10 yrs SWA. Never been at a regional or any GA to speak of.

Some very sound advice from other posters on here and these I echo:

1. Most important ingredient to pursuing your dreams, wife. If she doesn't appreciate your passion or is willing to sacrifice, then "man up" and stay with the job you have. Don't risk the chance she says "sure honey" and she doesn't mean it when you find yourself unemployed or facing tough times as a civilian getting tickets and experience....not if it will happen but when. Your current job may have that same stress but only you know.

2. The only title that matters is being a world class parent or spouse....pilot isn't on the top 10 but it is nice. Refer to statement #1.

3. If you have the means as suggested, use your time to enjoy GA by flying privately and filling the square there. I like playing sports and skiing but I'm not going to re-dedicate myself to becoming an Olympic skier either...enjoying flying comes in many ways.

4. I left one career in '79 to choose flying, it has paid off handsomely for me due to good timing and working reasonably hard. The same could happen for you....experts will tell you it is a great time to start getting your tickets and finding those little jobs that add up the time you will need to be hired by the next rung on the ladder and other experts will tell you it is a terrible time. The number of pilots vs. engineers is probably much smaller so the pyramid gets smaller as you near the top....the demand for flying isn't going to decrease but most likely increase however and the aging pilot demographic shows there will be a demand for pilots, experienced and inexperienced down the road. At what pay and how stern is the competition is the question....if you aren't up for the challenge, don't get in the pool....it is full of sharks.

5. Lastly, I couldn't image doing anything else in my life...everyday is a joy to go to work (OK, the vast majority of days), I commute (kids are out of the house now so it doesn't bother me as much but I was deployed a lot when I was in the military also when they were home) and I'm at one of the best majors around....I saw a military peer (we retired the same yr) the other day, same age who was leaving United marking his 2nd furlough in 10 yrs (never been a capt) but was going back into the military and being stationed in Hawaii with the AF for a 3 yr contract....talk about a good furlough option!!! Choose carefully grasshopper each job you have in the aviation career (if you decide to do it) because each one is like a cheese match, think a couple of moves ahead (ask a ton of questions like you are now...well done) but realize you don't have control over a lot of the variables.

Good luck to you, the decision isn't easy but either way it sounds like you have a good life generally speaking....wife, child and a love of aviation that won't go away....find ways to give back to others also is something I learned later in life, non-profits are a good way to go to find some of the fulfillment in your life that may not be as good as the aviation elixir but is close.

BTW, moving to Fair Oaks next summer but visit SAT quite often...send a PM if you wish to get together...always happy to share an adult beverage.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hardball,
I have been fly for the airlines for 11 years now. I've been through 4 furloughs. This is my third airline. I was a captain for 2 out of 11. I've made around 20 something thousand every year but the 2. I have missed almost all holidays, Birthdays....too many things to list. There are some here that the doors have opened at just the right times and there are doors that just never seem to open for others.

There is stress in at any job. For me, low pay (running for bill colectors now), gone too much (just visting when I do get home) and just missing out on the really important things in life.

So here's the question for you. Could you live my life?

It's all about what's on the other side. I currently fly a 757/767 around the world. The flying I've enjoyed most since it became a job, was getting my seaplane rating in a cub.

Keep your day job and go fly a cub without the doors and windows. IMO, that's the most joy you will find.

If you want to be a career regional FO at Skywest, Republic, Colgan, Pinnacle ect. then by all means go ahead. Very few majors will hire even when age 65 kicks in. Every major job that has been outsourced is now a job at the regionals. The problem is 90% of the Capts at the regionals like Rep, skw, eagle ect. are going nowhere and they are all around their 30's and 40's so that means along time before they retire. Thus no movement. All the retirements at the major will be filled by thoes on furlough at a major right now. Read no movement or hiring.

The only thing left is the nationals like JB, Airtran and Spirit. The competition will be more fierce fir these jobs because of the limited major hiring and all the qualified (read PIC turbune ecpd guys) major guys on the street trying for ooption 2 and spending their remaining years at a national trying to make up some of what they lost at the major they were furloughed from (some 2 or 3 times.)

For example myself.

I'm 13 years into this career:

1 year as a 135 FO
1 year as a 135 CA
5 years at a turboprop commuter (ca upgrade but only for a short time)
4 years at a regional (MDA/republic) 2 as FO, 2 as CA
Just shy of 2 years at a major as an e190 FO (before I'm furloughed in Feb2010).

I've averaged 40K/yr gross and the most I've ever made was 85K gross as a Rep CA (e170).

After I'm outsourced in Feb I don't think I'll ever see US Air again. My best hope is that I can get picked up by JB or Airtran or Spirit and maybe in 10 years (by the time I'm 45) be a 737 or AB CA if they expand and some guy retire.

I'f I'm reall really lucky maybe UPS or FDX if they hire limited in a few years.

Other than above the only choise I face is to suck it up and go to Compass or Rep or SKW and be a career FO for 45K/yr gross untill I die.

Good Luck

Would you rather be saying "roger....cleared for takeoff" or "will that be paper or plastic sir?"

That depends. If was working for Jon Ornstein or bagging groceries, I may just choose groceries. At least I could still have my pride intact, life is too short to work for dirtbags.

I actually used to see an ex Luftwaffe F-4 driver bagging groceries in TX, and another one who used to fly F-104s that could go mow yards for work.

I read a lot of posts here , but rarely post myself. The best advice I ever received is "find something that you love and make money while doing it"

I can't really say if i would still love to fly if I still worked at the regionals. I only worked there for 1 year. I jumped to the Corp side after 1 year. Before that I was a 135 FO for a year and a 135 Capt for 1 year. I now have the best job in the world flying Corp. Maybe an overnight here and there (1-2 per month) Good pay, good bennies, and great company to fly for. The best move I ever made was jumping to the Corporate world

I would add to any pilot out there is the best part about this job is it can allow you to make money on the side. Learn about investing, make money online, start another side business, and so on.

I would suggest buying a single engine(with maybe one good partner) and finding a good CFI to get you all of your flight training possible in the airplane that you own. When you sell that airplane you will still have a huge amount of equity and far less debt that financing all of your flight training with other means.

Sorry for the ramblings. There is a reason I do not post very often.

HX

I'll throw my .02 in here. I have always wanted to do the aviation thing as well. I don't know how old you are or where you are in life but, here's something to chew on. Personally, I think Chase has given the best advice you can get. The only thing I will add is look at the military option specifically the Air National Guard or the Air Force Reserve. If you're older than about 27 then this might not be an option for you. If your under that and have a 4yr degree there might be a fantastic oppurtunity waiting for you. I currently fly for the military and this saved my butt when I was furloughed a year ago from a regional. I made more money in the Guard than some captains at regionals this past year. I flew around the world and continued to build expereince for down the road. If you decide to go the aviation route it is absolutely critical to have a backup plan. If your wife can handle it (ie the ratings, you being gone, and all the other crap she needs to put up with in aviaiton) then pursue your dream. But, remember family first in your decisions.

Latest resources

Back