• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sitting next to idiots like you, makes me hate my job and want to club you like a baby seal.
PBR
This job isn't about flying, its about moving idiots from one trailer park to another one in another state.
F'EMWEGTTHERMNY

Why do you think I'm an idiot? Is it because I love my job? I got into aviation because I loved it. I didn't start out wanting a career in aviation. I started as a private pilot, and didn't pursue any other ratings. Eventually, it was obvious that I was in the wrong career, so I made a change.

Why, exactly, is that stupid? It isn't my fault that you hate your job. Quit. Move on. If all the bitchy little girls would quit their jobs, the rest of us would move up in seniority that much faster.

First time poster long time reader. And yes, I’ve used the search function.

Ill keep it short and simple so I don’t waste your time.

I’m 26, married, with a 7 month old baby girl who is my world.
126 hours with an instrument. Wife makes just over $50,000 and I make just under $70,000 in retail management. I’m home every day by 7pm. 2 days off in a row but it's a job and career I absolutely hate.

BUT......Not a day goes by in the last 4 years where I look up and wish that was my office. Past posts from here have kept me from doing it. Most here seem to say the profession is dying.

My question to you is, would you trade me? Should I just suck it up, be a man and provide for my family in a job I hate?

Or go on, pursue my passion? Do I really have a decent chance at making a decent living and enjoying my career?

Tear me to shreds flightinfo

Keep your $70K/year job, and go fly for the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves. Best of both worlds, plus better benefits and job security. And you don't have to pay for the rest of your training.

You dont have time on your side. The economy is sluggish and the proverbial window is closed. Couple that with your age and you would need alot of factors to come together quickly for your family to not have to be affected by the dismal working conditions of the first several years.

My advice, get your self a great weekend airplane, teach the wife to enjoy it too, and use it often. Your passion will not fade if you keep it a hobby.

SOLID advice by all- Even the comment about my wife! She's smokin, is the baby yours?

I respect each one of you for the work you do each day, I respect you even more for the advice you give.

Looks like I need to suck it up as a man.

Well, let's look at your situation a little less emotionally. Right now you have 126TT. If you're in position, financially or otherwise, to get the rest of your ratings, heck, why not? It's not like having done that can hurt you in your current or any other career, can it? By the time you're done, who knows where the industry will be? The only thing you can do is what you can do, which is get your training. If at that time the industry is still in the crapper, you can decide to stay with the job you hate then, but at least you won't be wondering "if only I'd gotten my ratings".

I just got my recall notice from furlough, it's not been an easy ride, but there is nothing I would rather do. Ever.

Any one reading this board can make it as a pilot provided the talent and desire are there and eventually make it to a point where they can live on what they make, it may not be a "major", but it might be a good charter operation, a good corporate job, a regional, or something involving flying airplanes. It is hard, it is lots of moves, you go where the next job is, it is living in flop houses with 4 other pilots and one bathroom down the hall, it is not buying any new underwear for one year, it is driving a car that you jump start from the battery you keep in the apt on a charger, it is being 100% subservient to your bosses wishes until you can move to your next job and he gives you a good recommendation, it is saying no to your brothers birthday party, it is saying no to being home a Christmas. Come to think about it, this sounds alot like being in the Navy, except for the underwear part. They made us get new stuff. You need a talent for flying, you need a most gracious personality that focuses on what you can give and not what you can take, and a goal is sight that you will pursue no matter what. Family, girl fiends (more than one night) , babies, do not count, they only get in the way. I have had more than one flight student, older guys starting flying in their late 40's early 50's, tell me they wished they had it all to do over again, they would gone into flying as soon as they could of, but Suzy (girl friend) wanted the house, the babies, the family lifestyle, and they thought there would be time later, but once the commitments come and you elect to honor them, there is no later, until all the kids have left home and you are semi free again. I know this post will probably bring out some different views, because it so politically incorrect, and besides I am semi management in a bottom feeder industry, so what would I know about an aviation career. But you ask, so here is my input from the prospective of 35 years in this business.

and besides I am semi management in a bottom feeder industry, so what would I know about an aviation career.

Wrong. You are management in a bottom feeder company, not industry!

But you ask, so here is my input from the prospective of 35 years in this business.
Nobody asked, you just like to hear yourself talk, with over 7000 posts!

Posting jealousy?

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nobody asked, you just like to hear yourself talk, with over 7000 posts!
Lets see you have been a member since June of 2006, I have been a member since 2001. I think I see posting envy, I got a head start on you and you are jealous and can not contain yourself. BTW Didn't your mother, priest, Boy Scout leader tell if you can not say something nice, don't say anything at all?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back