Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Procede with caution!

Maybe this question should be asked in the Majors forum. Are they as disgruntled with their flying as the regional pilots?
At this point, it doesn't matter to much anyway. There won't be any decent hiring for a few more years. Then, it should get much better and at the worst, always some hiring to cover attrition. Most pilots aren't complaining nearly as much when they are moving up the seniority list:)
If you have time, go back and read post from early 2007. Are pilots then telling everyone to leave the industry?
For what it's worth, I'm probably resigning from my regional job and am taking a "desk" job that pays enough so that I can live decent. If I really love the industry, I figure I'll get back in when there is movement again.

If a career in flying is your goal, do not resign your position. How will this look to another employer? And, just where will you go, out of currency, haven't flown in a few years, etc. Don't think that Cessna 172 will keep you current. A future employer will want to see professional flying on your resume. Hang in there it will get better (or you will at least get used to the pain!)
Cheers- Rum

If you are not sure, you can always build you time up and go for your ATP. By then, there will be a pilot shortage in the regionals and you should move up nicely.

There is nothing worse than sitting in a 9-5 job office watching the clock tic. At least with the airlines, your schedule is far from normal.

I've done the 9-5 in engineering. BORING.

I remember how desperate a lot of the regionals were back in early 2007. I figure it'll be the same again sometime in 2014 or after. The biggest problem is I need to do a little bit of flying, or I go into some kind of withdrawal:(
Truly a terrible addiction flying is.

Name your next girl Mesa, so when she gets older all the boys will know she sucks.

So that was a joke? Lame at best! But that's what we've come to expect from people with limited intelligence such as yourself.
Funny how you are giving advice on how to suck! I guess the old saying goes, "learn from experience."
Good one skooter! Keep it up, you're on a roll!;)

So that was a joke? Lame at best! But that's what we've come to expect from people with limited intelligence such as yourself.
Funny how you are giving advice on how to suck! I guess the old saying goes, "learn from experience."
Good one skooter! Keep it up, you're on a roll!;)

Good job parroting the other guy. Try and get some original material. The whole "you're gay and stupid" is a little tired.

Man that's a tough question...

I can't really add much to what the other posters have said, except to say that the only people who really count in this decision is you and your family. Your wife is the most important component of your decision. She has to understand that if you become a professional pilot she will endure a great deal of hardship she never counted on. That isn't necessarily a bad thing... My wife believes it has actually been a good thing for her. She has built a lot of self confidence by way of my absence.

Being an airline pilot is cool. The comraderie is unequalled... My best freinds in the world are other pilots who I consider to be like brothers. Bonds between people are forged in the bumpy road we travel as professional pilots. The responsibility is enormous, although the compensation doesn't reflect it. The work can be a bit of a grinding routine... But still just different enough to hold your interest. Don't expect to get along with the boss. That doesn't happen much because of the nature of airline politics.

I have a family too... A great wife and two small kids who have never known another life, so they are used to this. Still, I miss a lot of milestones while I am away. I think the trick is not to expect "time off" when you get home. Be ready to work hard and play hard with your family. They deserve it. If your wife is willing and if you are sensitive to your family's needs then it can work.

You'll probably never make a mint, but if you take this route than at least you can say you did it. You are a pretty young guy, you have time for a couple more careers before you sit down in the rocking chair. Don't let FI scare you away from pursuing your goal to be a pilot. It is a tough job, but you may just uncover character you never knew you had and you will make friends that will last a lifetime. My $.02.

crj567 hit the nail on the head. LISTEN TO ME, I was in your EXACT same position.. retail job, wife two kids etc. Heck I even owned my on plane....I was 10 years older than you are now. I sold the plane, made the switch and was three years into it when 9/11 happened. I can't begin to tell you how bad it impacted our finances and my health. I currently fly corp and I am very very lucky I am not out on the street. Yes I really enjoy my job, but let me add to what crj567 said:
1. I'm almost 50 years of age. I have had two friends my age having a hard time with health issues. One of my good friends just lost his medical after having a fluke heart condition ...25 years of flying a lear and pooof gone...no pay check nothing. Another one used to fly for DHL. Cant find work at the age of 52. Not Fun.
2. My kids are in there late teens. I wish i could have seen them more the past 13 years.
3. Guys I worked with that are now retiring in retail have a heck off alot more money in the bank than I do.
4. If I had it to do all over again...and I have given my children this same advice. Make your money, invest wisely, buy a plane (if you buy it right its actually not a bad investment) get all of your ratings...make it fun. Then when you have some local corp flight departments needing a right seat guy in their King Air make yourself available for those weekend trips or burn a few days of vacation. One of our contract guys does just that.

I'm begging you please do not jump into this industry at this time. As you get older (and you will) it will become a job period. Yes I absolutely enjoy aviation, but flying for fun and flying for a paycheck are different solar systems apart. I always tell people it was a great way to ruin a good hobby. Now I restore old trucks.....I do miss flying GA....but I can't even afford to rent a plane anymore...If your wondering how serious I am about your question look at how long I have been a member here and how few post I make...Your question is a really important question that needs to be answered in the most objective manner possible. Thats why I decided to respond to this post.

Good luck, let us know what you have decided.

This is the most civilized discussion on flightinfo that I have seen is a VERY long time, good job guys...

And they are right, stay with the desk job, and make enough to fly for fun. An FO once told me "All the FREEDOM I loved about aviation has been lost since joining the airlines, I don't get to pick where I go, when I go, how I go, who I go with, or even how to get there. The only choice I have everyday is what altitude I go at, and that is not the freedom of flying".

This is a rough business in good times, and absolutely retched in bad times, the sidelines with a good paycheck is a nice place to be.

At least let the job come to you don’t chase after a job. A good example of this is my buddy who took a job with Mesa did a two leg commute across a time zone to reserve. It took him a full day to get back and forth the kicker was he only had 8 days a month off. Oh yea and they were not weekends! Basically he was home for hours not days at a time. Some times he would just stay in the crash pad over his days off it was such a nightmare getting home. All for 20 some grand a year. I waited longer and took a job based near my house. The worst they can do is still not that bad. Although reserve still kind of sucks. We both made captain and are both in the process of getting down graded. With a very long wait for upgrade again. After 6 years we will both be making less that $30K a year. I would not recommend this career to anyone so I am not going to you, but I know most people will not listen and find out the hard way.

Latest resources

Back