Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
On saturday I will be taking two friends up in a Cessna 172 and just realized that since I'm the first flight of the day for the rental that the tanks will be full. I calculated that based on all our weights we will bean issue here. I will be at sea level with a 45025 over max TO weight. I'm in a delema. Should I fly for a half hour to get to gross with only one pax and delay the flight or just bend the rules a little bit. Don't we all do that sometime or another. Kind of like driving 5 mph over the posted speed but the cops won't usually care. Obviously syphoning fuel is out of the question and extremely dangerous in my book. I will be using a 4,300 ft runway at sea level. On the other hand IMHO taking off at gross in a 172 in Aspen on a hot summer afternoon is legal but not at all safe. What should I do?

You have "a lot" of Total Time and "too many to count" in the experience discription and you are asking this question?

How about simply leaving a note or message to those responsible (ie: flight school or FBO) to leave it down a bit. I do it all the time. Easy solution.

Posting that you are going to slightly bend the rules, which isn't very OK in the eyes of the feds, on this message board, is always a bad idea.

Over gross is over gross. Lose 25lbs, its not that hard, ya'll need to lose some weight, catch my drift. Seriously, none of you drink anything until after you get in the air.

(EDIT: When I clicked reply there were no responses yet. I had to go put the windows up outside because it just started raining, then I typed my goofy response, clicked submit, and a ton of people already posted.)

You still have 2 days ahead of you. It should be plenty of time to give notice to your FBO not to fill up the airplane. Every flight schools I tought at or took lesson from would not fill the tanks the night before at the customer's request if there was a weight and balance issue. 25 lbs is nothing, people do bend the rules but you have to draw a line somewhere for the legality aspect. You never know for a fact how much weight you exactly put in the aircraft. Bottom line is, the paperwork has to be within limits. If a fed shows up upon landing to do a routine ramp inspection and you are the lucky winner, he is going to ask to see your weight and balance. Bottom line is, I would not bend the rules and tell the flight school that the plane will have to be filled half way (or 3/4) the night before, of I will have to cancel my flight. To my knoledge it has always been common procedure and flight schools in the country.

Buck

The plane will fly just fine 25 over gross. But that's not the point. You'll do 25 and get away with it, and next time you'll be faced with the same question, only it's 50 pounds. Where are you going to draw the line?

Stick to the reg.

Ygtbsm

At sea level on a hot, humid summer day? You might as well be on top of a 3000 ft. mountain. 25 lbs does make a difference. Why your at it, why not plan to fly the airplane to the maximum published range without regard for the winds? Would you do that? I doubt it (I hope).

No offense, but, don't be stupid and do what every one else has said above.....

Next time you interview and they ask: Have ever broken a limitation? You will have a good story for them and a thanks for coming today, we will be in touch.
WP

Latest resources

Back