Would you takeoff 25 lbs over gross?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ralgha said:
Really? Why's that? We drained fuel regularly when the examiner (who was rather large) and student would put the airplane over gross for the checkride. No big deal. Just don't smoke while you're doing it. Actually the FBO should do it for you, that whole liability thing.

And if the FBO is smart, they will charge you to cover their liablity. Its a $50 min where I work to defuel an aircraft.

apcooper said:
On saturday I will be taking two friends up in a Cessna 172 and just realized that since I'm the first flight of the day for the rental that the tanks will be full. I calculated that based on all our weights we will bean issue here.

What should I do?
Carry an empty 5-gallon gas can with you to the airport. (I don't know why they call those things cans when they're actually made of plastic, but that's another thread..) Before you go fly, drain 2.5 gallons from each wing into the empty plastic can. Take a Sharpie permanent marker with you so you can label the plastic 5-gallon gas can with the type of fuel. (You wouldn't want to mix up 100LL with 87 Unleaded or Diesel 2.) Put the 5-gallon plastic can behind the back seat. During your first stop after 1 hour of flying, transfer 2.5 gallons of the 5 into the left tank, and the remainder in the right tank. Discard the empty 5-gallon plastic can, because you don't want fumes in the cockpit.

Simple, huh?

:)

Since you are asking this question I'd suggest that you don't even go flying, for your safety and the safety of your friends...

TonyC said:
Carry an empty 5-gallon gas can with you to the airport. (I don't know why they call those things cans when they're actually made of plastic, but that's another thread..) Before you go fly, drain 2.5 gallons from each wing into the empty plastic can. Take a Sharpie permanent marker with you so you can label the plastic 5-gallon gas can with the type of fuel. (You wouldn't want to mix up 100LL with 87 Unleaded or Diesel 2.) Put the 5-gallon plastic can behind the back seat. During your first stop after 1 hour of flying, transfer 2.5 gallons of the 5 into the left tank, and the remainder in the right tank. Discard the empty 5-gallon plastic can, because you don't want fumes in the cockpit.

Simple, huh?

:)

...check me if I'm wrong here...

Take 30 pounds out of the wings and put it in the back...the airplane will still be 25 over gross, no? Just because it isn't in the wings, doesn't mean it isn't in the airplane...

My opinion/advice....re check your W&B numbers...maybe just maybe you got the pax weights wrong? ;)

-mini

*edit*
to answer your question, no...I'd never take a plane over gross/out of balance.

minitour said:
...check me if I'm wrong here...

Take 30 pounds out of the wings and put it in the back...the airplane will still be 25 over gross, no? Just because it isn't in the wings, doesn't mean it isn't in the airplane...

My opinion/advice....re check your W&B numbers...maybe just maybe you got the pax weights wrong? ;)

-mini

*edit*
to answer your question, no...I'd never take a plane over gross/out of balance.

mini - take a good look at Tony and I think you'll find his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.

bigD said:
mini - take a good look at Tony and I think you'll find his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.

*sigh*

Roger...I've got a pretty high density altitude right now...my bad

-mini

Just assume you got the math wrong. If you overestimated you're legal and safe. If you underestimated........ you're still illegal and dangerous...... so you haven't lost anything.

apcooper said:
On saturday I will be taking two friends up in a Cessna 172 and just realized that since I'm the first flight of the day for the rental that the tanks will be full.
Either learn how to place a fuel order or take the one person up first and do the rest later...don't violate the limitations of the aircraft.

Need a reason to NOT violate the design limitations of an aircraft? Think about how swell it's going to be when your cell mate "Bronco Buster" is polishing your anal sphincter to a dull sheen. If you survive a crash of that aircraft and in the process someone dies or is seriously injured, the state you crashed in could charge you with criminal negligence.

Latest resources

Back