• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chuck Yogourt said:
Shut the hell up and get a life.

You sound desperate there Chuckie.

I agree with you and Ty on 1 of 2 points...

UM#1 said:
Ty,
As a former ATA guy (left in april 05) you are just about right on. The Southwest deal may have kept the doors open longer at ATA as it was more of a code share than the Airtran deal was, but as far as the pilots are concerned those Southwest Preferential interviews turned out to be a bum deal. I was not interviewed as I resigned before effective furlough date but for those that did interview (about 70-80 roughly), less than 10 got hired. Airtran has done a great job of hiring many of ATA's pilots and Continental also has done a good job of picking up ATA guys. You got some good guys over there and I know they are happy to be there..

I agree that the as far as hiring, it appears more have gained employment with FL than with WN. It seems to be a more rigid hiring process at SWA over the past year. I wish more ATA pilots could have been hired at SWA!

However, as far as the business aspect, FL would have chopped up the parts much quicker than SWA. Ty, in previous posts you seem to flippedly say how you'd just want the parts, etc., even about Midwest, or am I misunderstanding you?

I have been hopeful for the ATA folks that SWA would see the value in the international code share and fly Europe/MidEast to BWI and feed their system and ETOPS to Hawaii. I beleive there is still a lot of value for SWA in ATA.

TWA offered value to AMR with STL as an auxilary hub and the STL profit center. 9/11 change all that. I just hope that Katrina doesn't turn into a 9/11 for many other carriers like ATA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Big G limit the fuel supply to the airlines like they did in 1973. 1973 it was a 20% reduction for all airlines.

Good luck to all and play nice!

Last edited:
Jeff Helgeson said:
I agree that the as far as hiring, it appears more have gained employment with FL than with WN. It seems to be a more rigid hiring process at SWA over the past year. I wish more ATA pilots could have been hired at SWA!

Ty, in previous posts you seem to flippedly say how you'd just want the parts, etc., even about Midwest, or am I misunderstanding you?

I am not a believer in "the parts" . . . believe it or not, I think that if you are buying airframes, you can take the people that came with those airframes, but with big enough fences to make it a moot point. Buying assets and stapling offends my basic sense of fairness. I know, that is just the airlines, but if I wanted to be a pr!ck, I would've went to law school.

I have been hopeful for the ATA folks that SWA would see the value in the international code share and fly Europe/MidEast to BWI and feed their system and ETOPS to Hawaii. I beleive there is still a lot of value for SWA in ATA.

Sure, there is value there, no one would argue against that, BUT I think that it is ancillary to blocking us at MDW.

I am very happy we are hiring a lot of ATA guys. I knew we would, although a few ATA guys were on this board, saying how pissed they were that we didn't roll out the red carpet . . . a few of them also called SG a "low-level flunky" which showed how much they bothered to learn about our company.

What did they think, that Joe Leonard should have come to them and handed them the applications and number 2 pencils?

Those same guys were also certain that SWA was going to swoop them up and put them on line. MY point was simply that those guys were wrong. Our company has done a good job of interviewing and hiring ATA pilots, just as I knew they would.

Welcome aboard, guys!

Last edited:
Go to Midwest
it's a Wisconsin tradition.
Embrace the right seat
since there is no attrition.

Sweet talk the stews,
the long winter sucks.
Yes, they drink Blatz
and fart like ducks.

A small price to pay
for the Best sCare In The Air.
Once you're on board,
on your nads you'll grow hair.

(sing with me to the tune of 'Roll Out The Barrels')

Roll out the pilots, rolls out the pilots from here.
Roll out out the pilots, we are all out of free beer.
Next time you come here,
please leave your wife back at home.
This is Wisconsin,
Not where the buffalo roam!

Last edited:
Not to throw gas on the fire here, but Chuck, Ty and especially Crashpad (you need to get out more son), you can call Midwest many things like somebody said ex toilet paper airline, or Wisconsin tradition as Crashpad said in his stunning song, I'm sure it'll go triple platinum. But remember one little tiny thing, many ex-Eastern airline pilot's already know, you work for one of the largest Lorenzo cronnies in FORKLIFT JOE LEONARD, your time of labor rift and give backs will be upon you soon enough, not that I hope it ever does. So enjoy life while it's good. And I do not work for Midwest!

Double check your engine bolts boys and girls.

devine9driver said:
Not to throw gas on the fire here, but Chuck, Ty and especially Crashpad (you need to get out more son), you can call Midwest many things like somebody said ex toilet paper airline, or Wisconsin tradition as Crashpad said in his stunning song, I'm sure it'll go triple platinum. But remember one little tiny thing, many ex-Eastern airline pilot's already know, you work for one of the largest Lorenzo cronnies in FORKLIFT JOE LEONARD, your time of labor rift and give backs will be upon you soon enough, not that I hope it ever does. So enjoy life while it's good. And I do not work for Midwest!

Double check your engine bolts boys and girls.

First you call out others, point the finger at them, then do the same lame thing with an old, weak and well-worn argument. "Double check your engine bolts". Hey that's almost mildly amusing. But it is most definitely as childish as you acuse the others as being. So, I guess you need get out more, too.

FYI, of the 3 pilots you mentioned in your post...one flies for Air Tran, one for MidEx and one for Frontier. So, I guess your venom was directed only at Ty. Why bring the others into it? Or maybe in addition to being lame, you are not too bright. Yea, I guess that's it.

Don't lay awake at night worrying about Joe. He is getting very close to retirement, and is doing very well with his stock options . . . . as he should. You can say what you want about him, but the turnaround he accomplished here was textbook. Look at the balance sheet, look at the fleet, look at the numbers . . . .

Or live in the past. Change, or die.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back