Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey,

I'm a TSA pilot and I had this -exact- thing happen to me -yesterday-. I was trying to go see my family on the jersey shore. It was either me or a Continental Express guy that got the js on a full flight and I'm AA code share so it was mine for the taking. I only have 3 days off then it's back to the hell that is TSA reserve so it would have been nice to get on that flight and see my family and have a little beach time and I was entitled to the seat as well, but I gave the CoEx guy the js so he could have an easier commute to work.

I don't think you -have- to do that. I think I'm totally awesome for being such a great guy. But if my desire to be on the beach and see my family had been just a bit greater I'd've taken the seat, and felt bad for Mr. CoEx.

My opinion on this is that we're all in the same ship, and that we should all treat each other the way we would want to be treated. If we look out for each other someone's always looking out for you.

Work trumps pleasure every time, no brainer.

When this happens, I see which aviation academy the other pilot went to, and what his grades were like. If they are better then mine (never happens), I give up the seat.

It's nothing personal.

How did I know you went to Riddle before I even looked at your screen name?

Work trumps pleasure every time, no brainer.

incorrect sir. Anyone who commutes know the risk they take when they make that choice not to move. If I ever have to commute should I get good news from my upcoming interview I will most likely move at some point. In the interim I would commute for a time. I would never expect anyone to give up the jumpseat for me because I am going to work. Likewise I will never give up the jumpseat simply because they are going to work.

We all have somewhere to be. If someone misses work because I had the jumpseat I am not going to lose sleep over it. When I am traveling though no one knows I am a pilot at all. I take all crew tags off my bag and hide my badge. I simply wait until it is my turn to board then get on while the other jumpseater is probably still looking for someone that looks like a pilot hahaha.

If I don't have priority oh well thats life. If I do then I will be saying cya. I am not going to risk screwing myself over just because someone made the choice not to move for his company. That is why you travel incognito so you don't even have to deal with it. If you have priority you zip right on the plane when it is your turn to board. If someone bumps me then the gate will let me know and thats life.

I have given up the jumpseat in this situation before. You have to help the guy going to work out and hope he would do the same.

Newman--you are either the biggest flamer or the biggest a$$hole of all time. It doesn't really matter because either way you are a tool. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

He is an excellent flamer.

I for one, would piss on him if he were on fire. I should mention though that often my urine is flammable! BOOYAAKASHA

I have given up the jumpseat in this situation before. You have to help the guy going to work out and hope he would do the same.

Newman--you are either the biggest flamer or the biggest a$$hole of all time. It doesn't really matter because either way you are a tool. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Dude! YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! I gave Newman the benefit of doubt in regards to all his/her stupid comments thinking he/she is a newbie and will learn. This one takes the cake though. Either a flamer or tool or both.

Hey I am just treating people as I want to be treated. I don't want to give up the jumpseat just because someone is going to work. I would never expect anyone to give up the jumpseat if I was going to work. The jumpseat is for WORK and PLEASURE. Whoever gets there first or has the seniority wins the prize. Now if someone had a family emergency or something that is a different story. Someone maybe missing work is not even that big of a deal. Can you say sick call?

Latest resources

Back