• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Going to see family" can mean a lot of things. I have told people that on a number of occasions. Once it was for a wedding. Another time it was for a funeral, and a couple of times for family reunions. Sometimes it was just to go hang out with my brother for a few days.

I would gladly let the jumpseat go for the latter, but not for the first three. In all those cases, when people asked, I told them I was going to visit family. No offense, but the details are really none of anyone's business if I don't feel like talking about it.

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt. You just don't know what his circumstances were.

Sadly, I'm with Newman on this. I was a new XJT pilot getting ready to spend a long weekend with some frineds of mine in JAX. Well, the flight was full and at the time pilots couldn't use the FA jump. This AA pilot comes up to me desperate for the jumpseat to visit his mom who is very sick...no brainer I said "its yours", even followed him out to the hardstands b/c our retarded IAH gate agents insisted that I go before him. I get the later flight in 2 hours no big deal.

Get this! So after the weekend, I see that same AA pilot, along with another non-COEX pilot standing at the desk going back to IAH. I stand behind them and overhear all about the nice few days of golfing they got in together with the gate agent. I said, hey so the golfing was good huh? Glad I sat around for 2 more hour so you could make get another round in...he turned white and needless to say didn't make the flight back to IAH (FULL).

NEVER AGAIN will I give up my seat, too bad I got con-ed only 3 months into my first 121 job...oh well for the next guy.

Bro... it's no secret there are crappy people out there that take advantage but to live your life by there example is to become just like them. Be your own man and don't let other low life people dictate yours.

Get this! So after the weekend, I see that same AA pilot, along with another non-COEX pilot standing at the desk going back to IAH. I stand behind them and overhear all about the nice few days of golfing they got in together with the gate agent. I said, hey so the golfing was good huh? Glad I sat around for 2 more hour so you could make get another round in...he turned white and needless to say didn't make the flight back to IAH (FULL).

NEVER AGAIN will I give up my seat, too bad I got con-ed only 3 months into my first 121 job...oh well for the next guy.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was low. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. People are d!cks, that's why I don't trust anyone. DAMN!!!!!!!!!! That's just unbelievable!!!!!! I can understand why you would feel that way after that happened. What did the jacka$$ say?

with a couple rare exceptions it's 1st come 1st serve. The commuter finishing up a long trip or the pilot going on a long overdue vacation should not have to sacfrice his/her plans in order to accomodate someone going to work or someone who has some BS sob story. If you are that desperate to get on the flight than perhaps you should show up at the airport earlier or pay SWA or Jblue $59 and be a revenue passenger. And as far as the sick Grandma stories and Brothers wedding, again, don't wait until the last flight/minute and try to bump someone out who has been checked in for an hour. Now if 2 jumpseaters both show up 1 hour early just as the gate is opening, then perhaps they can discuss it. We all have places to go and when we are at the airport trying to travel our time is for the most part very equally valuable. For those who disagree than perhaps you can come up with a jumpseat priority list... we can disregard 1st time 1st serve and we can disregard code-share/family priority and we can adopt a new system where the person who gets the jumpseat is the person with the biggest BS sob story. I nominate Marinedog to come up with the priority list.

Latest resources

Back