• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I should have included that I talked to the guy for about 20min and he did know I was going to work. There was another flight a couple of hours later that he would have had priority on as well. To top it all off it turns out we went to the same school, at different times but none the less. And agian I wasn't picking on TSA I said that in my post just trying to get the story across. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone and it sounds like a lot of you would give up the seat.

Thats why I like CAL's system for JS priority. Its very cut and dry who and when can and cant bump others. Different classes for different pilot groups. Inside of each class i.e. JS1, JS2, etc... if you check in outside of an hour prior and nobody else has checked in outside of one hour prior you own it. If somebody senior to you in your same JS class comes up inside of one hour tough ********************, its yours. If both of you come up inside of an hour prior the senior person gets it. At any time somebody with a higher JS class can bump you. With this system the most junior person at the company could take the JS over the most senior.

When this happens, I see which aviation academy the other pilot went to, and what his grades were like. If they are better then mine (never happens), I give up the seat.

It's nothing personal.

Well you havent run into me yet!

:laugh:

If you work for GoJets, you might find that this had something to do with it (I don't know if you do - why don't you tell us). In this case, most of the CHQ guys would probably let ANYONE JS ahead of you (alot of ex TSA guys over here).

So I was commuting to work today trying to jumpseat on a CHQ flight. I check in with the gate agent and she says the flight is over sold but there isn't anyone listed for the jumpseat so I should get on. Well after about 30min. this TSA guy shows up and he is commuting to go see family and since TSA and CHQ both fly for American and my airline does not he has priority for the jumpseat. While I don't disagree with that policy I do think there is an unspoken rule, among pilots, that if one guy is commuting for work and the other for pleasure the guy going to work takes priority. I know I have given up the jumpseat on numerous ocations when I am traveling for pleasure. Now if both guys are going to work all's fair in love and war. Seriously am I being too nice here should I just start saying good luck getting to work buddy I'll make sure I drink an extra one for ya since I'm going to get there 2 hours sooner!!! I'm not picking on TSA I just don't undertand what happen to common couresy. So the question is would you give up your seat???

It helps to have a commuter clause!

I agree with MarineDog 100%. My own personal policy is that I will always give it up if the other guy is going to work and I'm not. Sorry about your luck man.

It would have been courteous for him to give it, but of course, he doesn't have to. Personally, I would have given up the jumpseat. Oh well, it'll happen to him one day... just a matter of time! Karma's a b*tch!

This is mindblowing from a skywest pilot...

The suggestion that you would do anything out of courtesy towards another pilot or pilot group instead of solely basing your decisions on getting yourself something or somewhere.

Nice flame dude... Doing a little "fishing" are we? I'll nibble a little. Please tell me what WONDERFUL regional you fly for so I can quit Skywest and see the errors of my ways!!! Save me FishandFly!!!!

Idiot...

Latest resources

Back