• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would NetJets Interview Me ....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish. I work at American Eagle. We have 8-year f/o's here. I am 800 numbers from jet captain, 600 from the Saab. We had eight, yes eight upgrades this month. You do the math. The upgrade for me is still years away and I've been almost four years now.

IHF

Oh....sorry about that. Sounds like your options are spend the $$ to get your ATP, leave AE to go somewhere that will get you your ATP, or stay at AE until you can upgrade. The problem with the last one is that every company that you mentioned you'd like to go to will continue to hire guys that do have their ATP and you'll just have to hope they're still hiring when you get it. How much seniority will that time cost you?

You could always check into your bank or credit union on getting a loan for a couple grand to get your ATP. Good luck on whatever you decide.

BTW - Is SJU ATR still taking forever or could that be an option also?

I am looking at a NetJets application as I write this. The first page of the application says:

"All potential pilot applicants should meet certain minimum requirements when submitting resumes or applications. Resumes and applications received missing reference to one or more of the following requirements will not be processed". Among other things, an Airline Transport Pilot (MEL) certificate is listed.

Hope this helps.

IHF,

Do whatever you can to Leave Mother Eagle... best decision I ever made 2 1/2 years ago, and I ain't ever looking back.

Get the ATP, get the app, and Leave Eagle hell behind! Your blood pressure will drop, your QOL will increase dramatically, as well as your $$paycheck$$!

As long as you can fly instruments well, the ATP really isn't that hard. I did mine on my own with about 4 hours of prep.

I know how hard it is to give up your hard earned schedule and seniority. I had to do it my self not that long ago and in almost the same shoes. You might feel like you are taking "a leap of faith" but, you will be amazed at the doors that will open for you with the ATP and your total jet time combo. Spend the dough and get your resume out there. If you cant spend the money, keep your eyes peeled for any chance to fly for someone that will type you for free, the opportunities abound. As for the ATP written, invest in the Gleim CD ROM. It will save you loads on a crash course. Just keep reviewing it until you are ready to take a check ride. As for the rest, Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Cheers

Thanks for the info Cake. I'll look into that. The ATP will probably have to wait until next year though at the earliest. I've also been looking at Jetblue and some others that require it as well. It would be nice to find a job like yours and get paid to get the ATP however I'm still not sure I want to jump ship.

I do like where I'm at, have great schedules and lots of time off. I would just like to make more $$$ and have decent QOL. Who wouldn't? The only way to do that here is with an upgrade and that's still years away.

Dude,

if you're OK with taking it up the butt you could always go to pinnacle. I was told there upgrade is real short for a guy that has 7000+ hrs.

Dude,

if you're OK with taking it up the butt you could always go to pinnacle. I was told there upgrade is real short for a guy that has 7000+ hrs.

Ouch! It hurts just thinking about it! Not looking for a lateral transfer and don't need any PIC time. I'm not chasing an upgrade, just looking for a fair paycheck and good quality of life.

Joker, great advice. I'm taking the written on Thursday just to get ot out of the way. For the last week I've been working all sorts of angles and trying to get the ATP done. I know the doors do, in fact open when you have one. There are not many jet operators outside of the regionals that don't require one.

IHF - see if you can find an accountant. I think you get a deduction for acquiring your ATP on your own. If that's true, then that cushion some of the financial pain of paying for your own ATP.

But like others have said, having an ATP opens a lot of doors for you. And if you have several friends flying at NJA, you should get an app pretty quickly. That's been my experience when I've sent in a letter of recommendation.

Bottom line: get your ATP ASAP.

IHF - see if you can find an accountant. I think you get a deduction for acquiring your ATP on your own. If that's true, then that cushion some of the financial pain of paying for your own ATP.

Absolutely correct:

From IRS Publication 970:

You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests:
  • The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona-fide business purpose of your employer.
  • The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.
So there you go. As long as you're already working in aviation, it's deductible. If you're changing trades or businesses, it isn't deductible under this section.

Hope that helps.

Latest resources

Back