Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would ASA do better in this industry if they focussed on making the pilots happy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Staff us properly and I'll be happy (so will our customers, partners, etc). Our performance would be better too. It's just that simple.

Staff us properly and I'll be happy (so will our customers, partners, etc). Our performance would be better too. It's just that simple.

We will be staffed properly after Labor Day...Just watch...

I can't wait for this fabled 'pilot shortage' to actually show up.

The only thing that will change ASA's (or any company's) approach to employee attraction/retention will be economic pressure. If, as a pilot group, we're willing to perform at the level they demand in exchange for the total compensation they offer, then they'll continue to demand more.

It will change when they're unable to get the level of performance they need.

I'm a little surprised at how willing they've been to underperform and jeopardize their business relationships...lots of crew cancellations this summer that they HAD to see coming.

<shrug>

Whatever.

That's what worries me. Those in charge will see an adequately staffed airline as overstaffed.

We have to make money...We aren't in business to lose money. Right now we don't make money. The cash cow that regionals used to be doesn't exist anymore. Reimbursement rates have gone way down. Costs have gone way up...Something has to give. The net profit margin that ASA enjoyed back in 1998 has been shrunk to zero or worse....

Joe, would you agree though that being adequately staffed encourages a pilot group to operate at 100% efficiency?

Of course the question would be which saves more money, but considering offering a good product comes only with being adequately staffed maybe it would work out.

An interesting example is our mechanic catastrophe. They have been refusing our mechanics even minimal pay increases for ever and look what happened. Now our entire operation is failing partially due to continual mx issues. Why can't they forecast the costs that result from being a bad company to work for?

The only thing Mgmt cares about right now is to complete SOC by the end of the year, unfortunately everything else is being ignored or going to s**t right now.

Joe, would you agree though that being adequately staffed encourages a pilot group to operate at 100% efficiency?

Of course the question would be which saves more money, but considering offering a good product comes only with being adequately staffed maybe it would work out.

An interesting example is our mechanic catastrophe. They have been refusing our mechanics even minimal pay increases for ever and look what happened. Now our entire operation is failing partially due to continual mx issues. Why can't they forecast the costs that result from being a bad company to work for?

Fish, it's not that simple in this business...I wish it were.

1. The airlines have far more flying in June, July, and half of August than the rest of the year....You can't use 20% of the year for your staffing model.

2. The majors we partner with are constantly adding flying at the last minute. How do we account for that? It may end next month.

3. We have built a "master/apprentice" type industry where the "regionals" are "stepping stone" jobs to the "real" jobs at the "mainlines"... This causes constant movement, and the cost structure is based on this constant movement. In addition, it only takes 2 weeks notice to quit, but 3+ months to replace. For mechanics, it takes far longer to get them up to speed...

4. We already can't make money under the new paradigm...How does increasing our costs make us make money? The only way it will work is to outlive the competition and get pricing power....

5. You say this is a "bad company to work for". Can you name a regional that is better to work for. Which one is better?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back