Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would ASA do better in this industry if they focussed on making the pilots happy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FishandFly

Over the years I have had a consistent feeling that ASA does not care about the pilot groups' level of contentment. I don't believe they even view the pilot group as an asset.. Only an expense that must perform at 100% no matter how they are treated.

Our leadership must think that we do not vary in our efficiency and performance when we get frustrated with them.

Does anyone else think this is true? Doesn't it make sense that they should do everything in their power to keep us running at 100%?

After you beat a dog for years the memories will remain. They have altered the personalities of their people. It will take a's many years to undo the wrong.

Over the years I have had a consistent feeling that ASA does not care about the pilot groups' level of contentment. I don't believe they even view the pilot group as an asset.. Only an expense that must perform at 100% no matter how they are treated.

This is a fact, not a feeling.

To me it means other stuff more than money. How many stories do we have in our memories where people were simply screwed by the company even though the screw-job had nothing to do with saving the company money/being better staffed/etc.

I think we would all accept the pay we negotiate, and that would be static for the duration of a contract right? But why go out of your way as a company to stick it to your employees?

I'm not just complaining about a single time it has happened to me or others, but rather that our company does it on a continual basis. It's almost like every employee that deals with assisting / controlling the pilot group has a manager who has specifically told them that they are not to do anything other than what the contract requires them to do when dealing with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Southwest-Air...1843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311721089&sr=8-1

When the bottom line is the most important metric for the company, this is what you get. Unfortunately for us as employees, our happiness, and the benefits that we provide, can't be measured easily in dollars and cents.

Remember when we as a group collectively busted our asses to make this airline run great. Our D-0 and A-14 numbers were great. Now look at our numbers. We're back to the bottom of the list again. We were awarded with nice bonus checks, now we collect checks that seem to be barely worth the paper they are written on. Seems we are in a vicious cycle here...the beatings will continue until morale improves.

I hope to someday see our airline have a good relationship with management again.

Last edited:
Any productivity gains coming from happy employees are easily dwarfed by the ever increasing expense of a more senior workforce, or at least that seems to be the company view. I believe the mantra is up and out. Out to where I'm not sure but after 5-7 years you become an expense that should be cut. Or at least until there is a fatal accident and experienced crew members become valuable again. But we've watched how Buffalo changed Colgan's hiring...wait, nevermind.

Last edited:
If up and out is the goal then they are playing the game well. Unfortunately in the process they are converting people who once were fairly content and willing to go a bit above and beyond into folks who when the chips are down will now follow the path of least resistance and choose to stand idly by as the wheels fall off...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back