Working for atc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dsim80

just wondering what it takes to get a job working for atc I have checked out the website and requirements but I was wondering about real world requirements I dont have a four year degree but I have been a pilot in the 135 world for the last five years or so and I am 28
Just wondering?

just wondering what it takes to get a job working for atc I have checked out the website and requirements but I was wondering about real world requirements I dont have a four year degree but I have been a pilot in the 135 world for the last five years or so and I am 28
Just wondering?

You are as qualified if not more so than 90% of the public hires entering the ATC workforce. Depending upon what facility and what locality are you hired into you could be making 100K+ within 2 yrs. PM if you have further questions.

don't exaggerate the money though.

sadly, the money isn't good in ATC anymore. while there are a few level 12s that with locality you can make over $100k, it's not much over (sfo i think has the highest locality) and at a level 12 there, you'd be at $106k. not exactly a great income.

sadly, when the new contract came out in '06 the faa really fvcked over the controllers and killed the pay, making it a very underpaid job.

While I completely concur with your assessment of the FAAs unilateral pay actions I am not sure that 100k in two years is a bad deal by any measure. The ATC 12 pay band in most level 12 runs around 98k to 137k plus 10 federal holidays at 1.5 base rate and night differential and Sunday premium pay and overtime. This could add another 10-20k to your W2. The opportunities to top this in aviation are somewhat scarce not to mention the job security.

GIV, I agree it's not terrible, but it's not great. $100k doesn't go real far these days, it's not exactly a great income. Additionally, one can't bank on overtime money as facilities seem to be doing everything they can lately to minimize overtime, and will prefer to just short-staff.

Ok valid points and the FAA staffing plan has been a 25 year loser no doubt and the B scale needs to go away. . But if I live in Northern California and I accept a position at Norcal Tracon I can reasonably expect to checkout in 2 yrs (if I make it) and I can make 115K without OT that year and 140k within 5yrs. What is my other option for that pay gradient in aviation?

I have been flying a hawker for two years now with a promising future making 50+k a year that is until I got laid off now I have to start all over so in my mind 100k does not sound too bad not to mention the job security dont get me wrong I love to fly airplanes but I have been laid off twice in the last 6 years and I would like to settle down someday.
So does anyone know when the faa is hiring any more atc trainees??

GIV, I agree it's not terrible, but it's not great. $100k doesn't go real far these days, it's not exactly a great income. Additionally, one can't bank on overtime money as facilities seem to be doing everything they can lately to minimize overtime, and will prefer to just short-staff.

Don't know what universe you're living in, but to most Americans, $100K a year is still alot of money. Yes, even for aviation professionals.

Is there any way 36 year old can get into the game with no prior controller experience, but an aviation background?

GIV driver, where do you see $140k within 5 years? No one is making $140k within 5 years, getting hired today.

Latest resources

Back