• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Working for atc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atrflier, As far as I know, you need to be under 31 to become a controller.

dsim80, I've heard the FAA is hiring lots of controllers these days. Have you checked their website? Not sure if they hire off the street or if you have to go to one of the schools/military experience.

eelb53, $100k is not bad money, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly anywhere more than average middle class. I think too many people see it as "six figures". $100k in 1990 might've been some coin, but with the cost of things these days, it's not that great, in my opinion. You're better off going for that gulfstream position that'll pay $200k/yr for 10day/mo of work.

Typical 2009 OSI/SCI/locality increase was around 4.9%. Four more of those and your damn close...granted there are some assumptions there but its hardly the pie-in-sky you make it sound. Additionally if NATCA gets a contract back which it will under a LaHood/Garvey/Babbit FAA it could well be higher.
BTW where do you apply for those 200K Gulfstream
jobs? Less than 5% of positions if that.

don't you fly Gulfstreams? you tell me. the people I know flying them (I don't fly a gulfstream, I'd love to) make that kind of $.

I wouldn't be so sure about a contract for the NATCA guys. Though Babbit was a former union boss (ALPA), from what I've read, he's drank a large glass of the kool-aid and is rather anti labor. He was against a lot of the 2006 stuff when the controllers had their contract imposed on them, and I guess NATCA isn't a fan of him, at all.

I'm not saying that being a controller looks like a bad job, but too many people say it's a big $ easy job that's not true. Controllers work their A55es off, and they really don't make much $ for 2009.

Also, as far as I know, that average 4.9% increase that folks got in the FAA this year was VERY high, and way above average compared to other years, apparently.

Is there any way 36 year old can get into the game with no prior controller experience, but an aviation background?

FAA rule....if you aren't hired by your 30th birthday, the game is over.

If I have no prior air traffic control experience and want to be selected, what must I do?
How to Apply
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...hr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/how_to_apply/

There are some jobs where you do not have to meet the age requirement. Look for Air Traffic Assistant positions. These mostly have to do with filing flight plans, modifying filed flight plans as necessary ie delays, equip swaps, alt changes and things like that.

I have a friend who was hired late last year and works in Clearance Delivery at LAX Center. She's about 35, and has about 10 years experience as an aircraft dispatcher.

The last time I looked there were 3 positions in Las Vegas and 1 in MSP. They were listed as temp positions not to exceed 5 years, but it would be a foot in the door.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back