Women and minority pilots.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cjs said:
For God's sake people stop being so danged PC and drop the hyphenated-American crap. Are you afraid of calling a black guy "black" to his face when he'd call you "white" in a heartbeat?

I agree. Maybe white people should be called European-Americans if we follow the same train of thought.

Foxcow said:
I agree. Maybe white people should be called European-Americans if we follow the same train of thought.

I know a captain at my airline who was born and raised in south africa. He now lives in the united states. His skin is as white as a ghost, but he is african american.

cjs said:
For God's sake people stop being so danged PC and drop the hyphenated-American crap.
I'm a Belgian-German-American...but you can call me "cracker" for short. :D

I graduated from high school in 1994. My senior year I told my counselor that I wanted to go to Riddle and be a pilot. She told me that women weren't pilots, but they were nurses and librarians and mothers. Now, I live in a fairly rural area, but it was 1994! Not 1894! I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I made it my personal goal to educate as many women and other minorities about the careers available to them in aviation. I have not done as much as I could to achieve that goal, but I try. I do as many career days as I can and I seek out the schools that have mostly black students. They always seem so surprised when I tell them all the things they can do in aviation. It's just not something they are told about by their educators or their families. I mean, think about it. Most of the schools I go to that are mostly black are also mostly low-income. These boys and girls aren't hopping airplanes every Christmas to see thier grandma. So until they are exposed to aviation some other way, they just don't know what their options are. They need role models, something other than multi-millionaire basketball players and thug rappers.

My airline seems to have a lot of minority pilots, which I think is commendable. And every one of them I have met, whether they are female or black or Asian or whatever are a very EXPERIENCED group. There doesn't seem to be a lot of low-time minorities. I have worked for other companies where I was blantantly discriminated against, so I have first-hand proof that discrimination is alive and well these days.

Mark Twain once said that there were lies, damn lies, and statistics. Well statistics lie. Airplanes, helicopters, or what ever is flown have no idea the race, religion, sex, origin, etc... follow me? You might not run into a "Black" pilot because in America, Blacks make up between 9-14% of the population. Of course that depends on which survey you want to believe.

riddlechick241 said:
There are a few african american pilots and a lot less female african american pilots and i happen to be one of them. It's so funny because, when i told my high school guidance counsler i wanted to be a pilot he had the nerve to say " maybe u should consider something else" IF HE COULD SEE ME NOW...

That's messed up.

Everything that I have heard from a "counselor" has been bad advice and a bunch of jibberish.

Good for you that you didn't listen to him....unfortunately many people do.

capt. megadeth said:
That's messed up.

Everything that I have heard from a "counselor" has been bad advice and a bunch of jibberish.

Good for you that you didn't listen to him....unfortunately many people do.

I dunno. At the rate this so-called profession is going down the tubes, his advice may turn out to be sage.

Without bothering to read the entire thread, I'll throw in my two cents. My former employer, for whatever reason, did not have many woman pilots. I think it was something like 3 or 4. Only one of them was a captain, who spent most of her time in the training center, and only got out on the line about once a month. I had the opportunity to fly with her once, when I was new. It was pretty non-eventful. She flew like a training-center pilot, meaning you could tell she didn't get out much (in hindsight, as I was new at the time), but she knew that and was took extra time accordingly. I also had the brief chance to spend a few months as a captain. I flew with one woman FO during that time, and of the maybe 20 or so FO's I flew with during my short time in the left seat, she was the best one I flew with. Granted, being a junior captain at the time, I flew with alot of junior FO's, and she was the most senior of the bunch and "knew the program". But nevertheless, she was the best and made my job easy. I would look forward to the opportunity to fly with her again.

I have not had to opportunity to fly with any women captains at my current employer, however I did do a recurrent sim session with one a few months ago. During my 2 hours at the flying pilot, when I am supposed to be being evaluated, I felt as though she was trying to run the show a little too much. Part of me was saying, "okay, she's the captain here", the other part of me was saying, "this is my checkride" as she is leading me into incorrect checklists and rushing how I would handle a V1 engine fire and subsequent emergency return. I guess thats just part of the difference between daily line operations and the simulator, so I didn't say much and let the instructor chew us out after we failed to do the prescribed sequence of emergency checklists.

Perhaps what I'm saying is that women pilots are just pilots like the guys out there. They aren't owed anything special, nor do they have anything to prove. Just do the job and don't try to prove anything, and we'll get along just fine and get home on time without any hassle.

riddlechick241 said:
There are a few african american pilots and a lot less female african american pilots and i happen to be one of them. It's so funny because, when i told my high school guidance counsler i wanted to be a pilot he had the nerve to say " maybe u should consider something else" IF HE COULD SEE ME NOW...

LOL. Yeah, If he could see you now as a starving CFI with a horse crap outlook for your future. Enjoy

Latest resources

Back