• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Women and minority pilots.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had an African-American flight instructor at my old school. Of course, he was a white guy from South Africa. Lucky for him he can still check the box...

I had a good friend (African-American) who was also a USAF pilot. I asked him why there weren't more black pilots. He said he went out to schools, etc. to try and interest young black people in becoming pilots, but there was not much interest in being a pilot. He was at a loss to explain it. My own thoughts are that pop youth culture in the black community views discipline and conformity negatively . . . things that are the basics in aviation.

Midnight Flyer said:
If God had given me a clam instead of a crank, I'd be with FedEx right now
...or at the minimum, we could plow you, if you asked us nice enough.

For God's sake people stop being so damned PC and drop the hyphenated-American crap. Are you afraid of calling a black guy "black" to his face when he'd call you "white" in a heartbeat?

Regarding affirmative action, it only sets people up for failure. If you can't get the job on your own merits, then you shouldn't be performing that job, period. I don't care if you're a white, black, or purple. Spare us the "disadvantaged" claptrap we've been force-fed from the left-wing. Life isn't fair, some whites get all the breaks, then again, some blacks do. Nothing will change that, unless you wouldn't mind living in a commune. Don't expect Uncle Sam to step in and fight your battles for you. People love to talk about "levelling" the playing field, but no one seems to concern themselves with the cost of such measures: the animosity it creates and the burden it places on minorities who will never know if their race factored into their career progress. Instead of looking to others for a helping hand, look inward, set your goals, and let nothing stand in your way.

I find it very telling the people focus so intently on perceived inequities exploited by the majority (such as the controversy over predominantly white quarterbacks in the NFL), yet fail to turn the problem on it's head and ask why basketball players are predominantly black, or guards, tackles, linebackers, etc. and receivers in the NFL. White guilt in action, ladies and gentlemen .. and what a pathetically sad show it is.

There are a few african american pilots and a lot less female african american pilots and i happen to be one of them. It's so funny because, when i told my high school guidance counsler i wanted to be a pilot he had the nerve to say " maybe u should consider something else" IF HE COULD SEE ME NOW...

cjs said:
For God's sake people stop being so danged PC and drop the hyphenated-American crap. Are you afraid of calling a black guy "black" to his face when he'd call you "white" in a heartbeat?

Regarding affirmative action, it only sets people up for failure. If you can't get the job on your own merits, then you shouldn't be performing that job, period. I don't care if you're a white, black, or purple. Spare us the "disadvantaged" claptrap we've been force-fed from the left-wing. Life isn't fair, some whites get all the breaks, then again, some blacks do. Nothing will change that, unless you wouldn't mind living in a commune. Don't expect Uncle Sam to step in and fight your battles for you. People love to talk about "levelling" the playing field, but no one seems to concern themselves with the cost of such measures: the animosity it creates and the burden it places on minorities who will never know if their race factored into their career progress. Instead of looking to others for a helping hand, look inward, set your goals, and let nothing stand in your way.

I find it very telling the people focus so intently on perceived inequities exploited by the majority (such as the controversy over predominantly white quarterbacks in the NFL), yet fail to turn the problem on it's head and ask why basketball players are predominantly black, or guards, tackles, linebackers, etc. and receivers in the NFL. White guilt in action, ladies and gentlemen .. and what a pathetically sad show it is.

Swing and a miss.....calm down Archie, so far the vast majority of folks in this thread have expressed their disagreement with affirmative action. You on the other hand, are a case and point of the people I was talking about in my previous reply. Fighting with yourself, "WORK HARD!!"-spouting fella. The mere fact that you constantly stress throughout your post that inequities are perceived and not real, it testament to how dismissive you are to the ramifications of the statement "life isn't fair", statement which YOU endorse no less!

You throw a tantrum at affirmative action (no beef there chief), but fail to yield an inch to the possibility that minorities are not gaining access by reasons other than "they're just morally bankrupt: i.e. won't work, are racially or socially predisposed to ask for a handout and therefore we [white people] don't owe them sh%t". The preceeding being the translation to the euphemism that was your post.

Then you proceed to defend your reasons for defending the status quo culture (the real problem at hand), by using the "blacks in sports" case-study and pathetically attempting to suggest it is a microcosm of the entire American society in the context of minorities and work access. How about you look in the mirror and ascertain whether or not you're really impartial to non-whites having access to commonly-white jobs and vocational fields. The result of that exercise might surprise you.

FastCargo hit it right in the head, and definitively got the core of my "thesis", when he raised the question of whether or not we are inclined, or even able, to re-shape our social sub-structure to allow others different than us, in physical appearance and cultural context, to compete against us for positions and aspirations we hold dear. I agree we are far from that point, a lot of re-socializing that needs to take place, even as we enter 2006, but a social dynamic that at the very least needs to be recognized, and not rationalized and dismissed like our friend Archie over here.

Last edited:
ASA now has a black female FO. I have seen, and flown with, many black pilots. I have seen, and flown with, many female pilots. I have only seen one black female pilot. As a white male who lives in GA can I say "you go girl." I was there when she walked into the crew lounge in ATL with her IOE CA. Many jaws dropped, including my own. I don't know her, and have never flown with her. I will not pass judgment on her either. But you were talking about minorities, and ASA has a minority that I have never seen walking through a terminal ever. Has anyone outside of ASA seen a black female airline pilot?

hindsight2020 said:
Swing and a miss.....calm down Archie, so far the vast majority of folks in this thread have expressed their disagreement with affirmative action. You on the other hand, are a case and point of the people I was talking about in my previous reply. Fighting with yourself, "WORK HARD!!"-spouting fella. The mere fact that you constantly stress throughout your post that inequities are perceived and not real, it testament to how dismissive you are to the ramifications of the statement "life isn't fair", statement which YOU endorse no less!

This should be obvious to the casual reader, but I'll break it down for you. "Perceived" implies that the inequities may or may not exist, because "inequities" is a vague concept. There isn't one man on this planet who is equal to another in all respects. Furthermore, the cultures they espouse are not equal by any stretch of the imagination. The only equality men can enjoy is equality before the law. Thus, when a social crusader such as yourself shouts "inequality! unfair!" or something to this effect, I'm not at all surprised. It should be obvious that the game we play is unfair, because all men have been bestowed with different abilities and resources. Although it is unfair in that respect (and in that respect, we can do nothing, for this is the nature of capitalism and mankind), it is fair in the most important respect, that being, the rules we play by are fair, regardless of race, creed, or gender (ignoring affirmative action, of course). This is the crucial point.

You throw a tantrum at affirmative action (no beef there chief), but fail to yield an inch to the possibility that minorities are not gaining access by reasons other than "they're just morally bankrupt: i.e. won't work, are racially or socially predisposed to ask for a handout and therefore we [white people] don't owe them sh%t". The preceeding being the translation to the euphemism that was your post.

How about you let me speak for myself, rather than speculating. Whether certain societies/cultures are predisposed to ask for a "handout", I'm not going to debate here, not now, not on New Year's Eve. What I will argue is that cultures do vary in the quality/nature of child rearing and mentoring, and, as a result, men who espouse different cultures will pursue a wide gamut of careers. To expect the government to counteract this is preposterous. If those cultures find that their young generation is not moving in the proper direction, then by God it's their responsibility to change. We all play by the same rules, the same laws, and as such are masters of our fate.

Then you proceed to defend your reasons for defending the status quo culture (the real problem at hand), by using the "blacks in sports" case-study and pathetically attempting to suggest it is a microcosm of the entire American society in the context of minorities and work access. How about you look in the mirror and ascertain whether or not you're really impartial to non-whites having access to commonly-white jobs and vocational fields. The result of that exercise might surprise you.

You missed the point of the example, and I'm not surprised. Never will you see social outcry over whites, or males, being under-represented in any industry. White males are seen as "more fortunate", as as such have no right to complain about laws which discriminate against them. If you're not white, or male, your complaints will fall on receptive ears since, right or not, you are seen as "disadvantaged", and requiring special attention. It should have been obvious that the aim of the example was to show how receptive American society is to anything which criticizes discrepancies white males "enjoy" and how un-receptive society is to complaints over discrepancies "enjoyed" by all others. Let me be clear. I have no problem with blacks being predominant on basketball teams, or asians predominant in graduate school. Different cultures, different pursuits, same rules, such is life, end of story.

FastCargo hit it right in the head, and definitively got the core of my "thesis", when he raised the question of whether or not we are inclined, or even able, to re-shape our social sub-structure to allow others different than us, in physical appearance and cultural context, to compete against us for positions and aspirations we hold dear. I agree we are far from that point, a lot of re-socializing that needs to take place, even as we enter 2006, but a social dynamic that at the very least needs to be recognized, and not rationalized and dismissed like our friend Archie over here.

Your profound "thesis" makes so many assumptions, I don't know where to begin. I don't know about you guys, but I have no problem competing or working with people, whatever their color. Sounds like a personal problem. :rolleyes:

.. and Archie? Is that really the best you could do?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back