WN to ground 190 flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TOP 10 RESPONSES SWA PILOTS GIVE REGARDING THE 190 FLIGHT PULL DOWN:

10. It's not our fault. The FAA wants us to spend more time on maintenance!

9. It was planned growth so reducing it is not really a reduction, it's a decrease in growth. We planned 8-10 percent growth and our change in the schedule is a reduction in the increase in the rate of growth. So we still have growth, it's just a reduction and next year we are still forecasting growth, it will be flat growth. And this is all good because we don't want negative yields on our growth.

8. It's not a cut, it's seasonal!

7. At least we have shiny new headsets!

6. You try flying out of LBB and see what you get!

5. We're still hiring!

4. My airline is better than your airline!

3. We've spoken with our guru and he says we need more flexibility!

2. It's okay, we've got 5 more years to fly!

And the number one response from SWA pilots on the 190 flight pull down.....

Yeah but we're adding flights to Burbank now!

Lighten up guys......

Last edited:
The following explains a little better than CNN :rolleyes:

SWALogo06.gif
08-27-2008 | New Schedule Puts Planes Where the People Are
We recently opened our winter schedule (January-March 2009), which includes the elimination of 196 flights and the addition of six flights, for a net reduction of 190 flights. The changes are wide-ranging but relatively minor in magnitude. We currently operate approximately 3,400 flights a day—and doing the math—this equates to an approximate five to six percent change to our schedule. Why did we make these schedule tweaks?
The primary reason for the changes is to better align our flights with Customer demand and to strategically place our aircraft where they are making the most money. Technology enhancements pinpointed where we need to be, information that is especially important during this time of soaring fuel prices and a weak economy.
The industry typically experiences an overall decline in traffic between January and early March, and our winter schedule is a reflection of that change as well. Also, the number of aircraft needed to operate during the winter months increases due to the change in weather—meaning we need more aircraft to maintain the same schedule. Any extra aircraft time resulting from these reductions will be used to maintain our efficiency during the winter weather.
We are scaling back on our growth in 2009 due to the slowing economy and added fuel pressures. We will have a better idea of what our full 2009 growth outlook will be as we move closer to March, and the possibility exists that traffic improvements and changes in the competitive landscape could lead us to alter our capacity plans.
Be sure to check out Bill Owen's blog post on the schedule changes by visiting http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/whoopsjanuarys-hereand-i-forgot-blog.

TOP 10 RESPONSES SWA PILOTS GIVE REGARDING THE 190 FLIGHT PULL DOWN:

10. It's not our fault. The FAA wants us to spend more time on maintenance!

9. It was planned growth so reducing it is not really a reduction, it's a decrease in growth. We planned 8-10 percent growth and our change in the schedule is a reduction in the increase in the rate of growth. So we still have growth, it's just a reduction and next year we are still forecasting growth, it will be flat growth. And this is all good because we don't want negative yields on our growth.

8. It's not a cut, it's seasonal!

7. At least we have shiny new headsets!

6. You try flying out of LBB and see what you get!

5. We're still hiring!

4. My airline is better than your airline!

3. We've spoken with our guru and he says we need more flexibility!

2. It's okay, we've got 5 more years to fly!

And the number one response from SWA pilots on the 190 flight pull down.....

Yeah but we're adding flights to Burbank now!

Lighten up guys......

I don't really see where you come up with this stuff. Those SWA guys who are putting out responses like your list are probably just trying to tweak the tweakers (and they seem to be having great success, judging by the page count so far).

How about this for the 190 flight pull down: I think it s*cks and hope it is reversed soon. Hiring just came to a standstill and there are lots of good people still trying to come on board...now they'll have to wait that much longer. Nobody (even us) is immune to the effects of $100+/bbl oil. I hope the carnage is minimized at all airlines.

P.S. Wish us all the best of luck with our (now protracted) contract negotiations. Only a fool would believe the company is not playing up the industry gloom & doom outlook to us.

Last edited:
The following explains a little better than CNN :rolleyes:

SWALogo06.gif
08-27-2008 | New Schedule Puts Planes Where the People Are
We recently opened our winter schedule (January-March 2009), which includes the elimination of 196 flights and the addition of six flights, for a net reduction of 190 flights. The changes are wide-ranging but relatively minor in magnitude. We currently operate approximately 3,400 flights a day—and doing the math—this equates to an approximate five to six percent change to our schedule. Why did we make these schedule tweaks?
The primary reason for the changes is to better align our flights with Customer demand and to strategically place our aircraft where they are making the most money. Technology enhancements pinpointed where we need to be, information that is especially important during this time of soaring fuel prices and a weak economy.
The industry typically experiences an overall decline in traffic between January and early March, and our winter schedule is a reflection of that change as well. Also, the number of aircraft needed to operate during the winter months increases due to the change in weather—meaning we need more aircraft to maintain the same schedule. Any extra aircraft time resulting from these reductions will be used to maintain our efficiency during the winter weather.
We are scaling back on our growth in 2009 due to the slowing economy and added fuel pressures. We will have a better idea of what our full 2009 growth outlook will be as we move closer to March, and the possibility exists that traffic improvements and changes in the competitive landscape could lead us to alter our capacity plans.
Be sure to check out Bill Owen's blog post on the schedule changes by visiting [URL="http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/whoopsjanuarys-hereand-i-forgot-blog."]http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/whoopsjanuarys-hereand-i-forgot-blog.[/URL]

Good explanation all in all. I think people are making up excuses when the obvious is right there. Some of those flights aren't making money and they are pulling them down. When you fly a CRJ at 0600 from GSP to DTW and it is half full, it is one thing. NWA or DAL can justify it because some of those pax may connect to an Asian flight where they make it all back and then some.

However, when you are in the point to point business, and you fly a 737 from DTW to BWI at 0600 and it has 20 people on it, that flight ain't makin' money. The guys at SWA are not stupid. They probably saw that some of those early morning/late night flights were sucking eggs and decided not to continue wasting fuel on money losing flights.

In my mind, there is no way around the fact that they are pulling down money losing capacity just like everyone else. It is what it is. Sucks for pilots, commuters, and the very few that need to be somewhere by 0700 in the morning, but makes good business sense to me.

more propaganda for ya. tongue in cheek.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/whoopsjanuarys-hereand-i-forgot-blog

Whoops....January's here...and I Forgot to Blog!!!

Tue, 08/26/2008 - 14:32 — Bill Owen Forgive me, Blogosphere, for I have sinned.

I’ve been so wrapped up in a few other issues this past week that I completely neglected—well, actually, forgot—to prepare a blog post about our January, 2009 schedule, which went out for sale last Thursday. There are a lot of changes incorporated into that schedule, both frequency changes as well as changes to methodology (love that word—sounds so “consultant-ish”!). So, let’s dive right in!

As lots of people have already noticed—and I have to admit, you media types and all of you guys on on FlyerTalk.com and airliners.net are incredibly observant!—we have a lot of changes in the January ‘09 schedule. The number of departures change in a whopping 98 roundtrip markets (including three, which get one MORE flight each!) compared to the November ’08 schedule. Still, I wouldn’t characterize any of these as huge strategic “statements” as only three markets have been completely discontinued (Birmingham-Phoenix, Nashville-Oakland, and Nashville-Seattle), and neither are there any completely new markets. We have made these changes to better align our flying schedule with our Passenger demand.
The more interesting, schedule-geeky details are about how, and why, these reductions have been accomplished. From a scheduler’s standpoint, two things happen in every January Schedule. One, we go into winter weather, and flying times—the time it takes to get from point “A” to “B”—take the largest increase of the year. Two, we move into a traditionally slower traffic period (and January and February are two really sluggish months from an airline traffic standpoint), and that really kills flights that depart really early or really late. And you guys have told us—by your flying habits!—that you don’t like flights before 700 a.m., nor ones after 800 p.m. Our new schedule optimization “algorigthm” (again, LOVE that word—sounds so educated!) allows us to move departure times around within individual markets with nearly surgical precision. We tell it we know about the earliest and latest desired flights in each market—literally, we tell the optimizer what departure times you guys want—and the resulting schedule is one that mirrors more closely than ever what you, our Customers, want.
For the January ‘09 schedule we really took advantage of this new capability and made the earliest flights later and the latest flights earlier. The result: the vast majority of the flights that are trimmed in the January schedule would have departed in the 600 a.m. to 700 a.m. or 800 p.m. to 1000 p.m. time frames. A hidden dynamic that’s driving this whole early/late thing is the fact that we’re not adding any new aircraft in the January schedule, so had we not slightly reduced our schedule, the longer winter flying times would have had the effect of spreading the first and last flights of the day into those time frames that we already know y’all don’t like.

Yes, I may have “sinned” in my failure to communicate, but hopefully I can come up with suitable penance to make up for it. Maybe I’ll share my grandmother’s home-made Banana Pudding recipe with you….Nanny might roll over in her grave but trust me, it’ll win me your forgiveness (even if it will blow your diet for the entire last half of 2008)!!!

Hey all...my buddy told me the guy who runs the training department in Dallas said that there's no more classes after the LONE Sept class.

He also said that they were "overmanned for the winter schedule."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back