• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
Heard those 2 words 9, yes 9 times in an hour while listening to NY app
this afternoon online. This REALLY gets annoying and does nothing but clog up the freq during the busiest time of day in some of the busiest airspace in the US!! Come ON!! Everyone, knock it off PLEASE!! Of course ATC knows your "with them." Why does everyone tell them your "with them" when in actuality you could be 30 miles away!!! For the grace of God, let it stop NOW!!!

I don't say with you, however this isn't the main problem.

How about "uh, approach, can we get direct" instead of request direct XYZ.

And conversly, "down to 3,000" instead of "leaving 8,000 decending 3,000"

This is from Don Brown's column "SAY AGAIN" on avweb
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182638-1.html
His columns are full of intesting info on this and may other atc subjects.

While I have you held captive in the holding pattern, let me give you another sermon on the rules. You know that silly rule that says you're supposed to state your altitude leaving when you're assigned a new altitude? You knew it was in there for a reason, didn't you?
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight
level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.
Now we plug in the controller side of the equation from the FAA 7110.65
b. Assign an altitude to an aircraft after the aircraft previously at that altitude has been issued a climb/descent clearance and is observed (valid Mode C), or reports leaving the altitude.
There you are in a holding pattern at 12,000 with a dozen other airplanes stacked above you and Approach starts running them again.
ZTL: "Airliner 123 cleared over the SHINE intersection to CLT via the SHINE5 arrival descend and maintain one one thousand.
AIR123: Airliner 123 cleared to CLT down to one one thousand.
ZTL: (sigh). Airliner 123 say altitude leaving.
AIR123: Uh, we're out of twelve.
ZTL: Airliner 234 descend and maintain one two thousand.
AIR234: We're descending to one two thousand Airliner234
ZTL: (big sigh) Airliner 234 say altitude leaving.
AIR234: Airliner 234 is leaving one three thousand for one two thousand.
ZTL: Roger, Airliner345 descend and maintain one three thousand.
Have you ever seen a radar scope with a full holding pattern? All those targets dragging those big data blocks over the same spot? Ever tried to observe someone's Mode C when it's like that? We're lucky if we can find your data block, much less observe your Mode C. Getting the picture?

Wow....I'm glad all you high time wonder pilots have the time to critique those of us that do it for a living, do it safely, and nobody in the real world seems to give a rats a$$ about these things. I bet you're just a joy to fly with....:rolleyes:

Darn now 502. Well, too bad this "With You" thread #410 has been ruined. Guess we will have to talk about something worth while.

Chatty

The_Russian said:

Boy you really do like to tie up the airwaves dontcha?

Paulsalem, thanks for describing ATCs point of view from the "stack of pancakes". Personally I've never thought about it like that.

Over and out.

Latest resources

Back