Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

With no pax, do commercial pilots goof off???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
viper548 said:
"professional pilots" have been known to "goof around" when there are no pax onboard. Some things these "professional pilots" do include agressive rudder inputs at mid level altitudes, agressive nose ups and push overs. Climbing at airspeeds signifcantly lower than those published by the manufacturer or FOM. Switching seats mid flight, overtemping engines, activating stick pusher and/or shaker, using non-standard phrasiology such as "dude"

On ferry flights, "professional" pilots keeps saying to eachother, "Hey we're 'professional' pilots" (They do the little quotation motion at the same time). They also correct the student pilot who uses the phrase: commercial pilot, instead if their preferred word that they continually put in quotes (also with the motion and condesending tone). The poor kid asked a question and you knew what he meant. Relax "dude."

- Jack

Dude, I bummed a ride on a Repo flight about 2 weeks ago, Aisle surfing in the 170 is rockin!!! Rip the covers off of a Hemisperes Magazine and on climbout let 'er rip down the coach class.

It was Like surfing the 50 Year storm, Johnny

NYCPilot said:
I recall reading in a book written by some retired airline captain that they had a landing contest on one flight. The deal was that if the pilot could land the plane and taxi back to the gate without causing the toilet seats to drop (they were placed in the up position by the flight attendants prior to landing), they would receive BJ's.

The crew managed to land the plane nice and smoothly, and all went well up until they taxied up to the gate. Just as they were pulling up the ground crew suddenly made a gesture with the batons to stop abruptly for some reason (I forget what). You guessed it, the seats all at once came crashing down, making a loud thump throughout the cabin. Needless to say, they lost the bet!

That wouldn't sound good on the CVR!

This thread is an omen......

I haven't done an empty leg in a few years, and I did one last night.. We were running about 2 hours late, and they accomodated all the pax on an earlier flight.

I made sure to try ALL of the antics posted in this thread, just to see if they worked! ;) There's a little pitch coupling as you come through the 90 degree bank on a '700! ;) (I am kidding for those humor impaired types).......

Actually, the biggest thrill I got was changing into civvies for the flight to MCO....... I think it's the first time I ever flew a 737 in shorts and a t shirt!

The FA's in the JS enjoyed the ride too, as 2 of them had never sat in the cockpit for TO and landing......

It's also nice being able to get up and pee without a huge procedure!

Tripower455 said:
This thread is an omen......

I haven't done an empty leg in a few years, and I did one last night.. We were running about 2 hours late, and they accomodated all the pax on an earlier flight.

I made sure to try ALL of the antics posted in this thread, just to see if they worked! ;) There's a little pitch coupling as you come through the 90 degree bank on a '700! ;) (I am kidding for those humor impaired types).......

Actually, the biggest thrill I got was changing into civvies for the flight to MCO....... I think it's the first time I ever flew a 737 in shorts and a t shirt!

The FA's in the JS enjoyed the ride too, as 2 of them had never sat in the cockpit for TO and landing......

It's also nice being able to get up and pee without a huge procedure!

"Professional pilots" leave their uniforms on even when no one's watching, you know, like in the hotel room while they sleep. ;)

SiuDude said:
That wouldn't sound good on the CVR!

I once saw this documentary on crashes and they profiled a crew on T/O that forgot to set the flaps. On climbout you hear the pilots yucking it up with some female FA's about how this CVR thing is for the wife and Feds to hear for posterity. Next thing you know the horn and shaker are going off and the plane comes crashing down. It might have been a 727 and I don't recall if they survived or not.

TrafficInSight said:
"Professional pilots" leave their uniforms on even when no one's watching, you know, like in the hotel room while they sleep. ;)

I've never been accused of being professional! ;)

They also wear them to the mall, food shopping, to the movies etc........

I recall that empty legs were conducted the same way as with peeps aboard, and what a ride those poor folks got!!!!!!! :D

Latest resources

Back