Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

With no pax, do commercial pilots goof off???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recall reading in a book written by some retired airline captain that they had a landing contest on one flight. The deal was that if the pilot could land the plane and taxi back to the gate without causing the toilet seats to drop (they were placed in the up position by the flight attendants prior to landing), they would receive BJ's.

The crew managed to land the plane nice and smoothly, and all went well up until they taxied up to the gate. Just as they were pulling up the ground crew suddenly made a gesture with the batons to stop abruptly for some reason (I forget what). You guessed it, the seats all at once came crashing down, making a loud thump throughout the cabin. Needless to say, they lost the bet!

NYCPilot said:
I recall reading in a book written by some retired airline captain that they had a landing contest on one flight. The deal was that if the pilot could land the plane and taxi back to the gate without causing the toilet seats to drop (they were placed in the up position by the flight attendants prior to landing), they would receive BJ's.

The crew managed to land the plane nice and smoothly, and all went well up until they taxied up to the gate. Just as they were pulling up the ground crew suddenly made a gesture with the batons to stop abruptly for some reason (I forget what). You guessed it, the seats all at once came crashing down, making a loud thump throughout the cabin. Needless to say, they lost the bet!

Nice story...needless to say, that ground crew got their a$$es beat to a pulp!

crash-proof said:
Nice story...needless to say, that ground crew got their a$$es beat to a pulp!
That's interesting. IF the pilots could in fact beat the ground crew's asses to a pulp, they would be stuck with this predicament...

"Hey Lenny, where did you get that nasty gash on your forehead?"

"I got it off a toilet seat."

NYCPilot said:
Here's some proof that pilots like to have a little fun (maybe too much of it!) heh.

A few years ago a couple of Southwest pilots were fired for stripping down to their boxers up front during a revenue flight. After stripping, they summoned the flight attendant up front. Their defense - they spilled coffee on their uniforms! = O)

Uhhh, not true.......

TurboS7 said:
"Professional pilots" also try to fly to 410 when they have never been there before and have no business giving it a try.

Real classy, scab. They are DEAD you know. What they did was pretty far out there, but have a little respect.

UnAnswerd said:
So, does the "professional pilot" tend to goof around and have fun when there are no pax???

I'm too scared to ever "goof off" in an airplane. However, I do fly differently with no pax on board. I won't go outside of the normal envelope, nor go against my companies operating manual. What I will do is get to the edge of the envelope much quicker. With pax on board, I keep the bank shallow, roll rates small, pitch changes easy and power changes as smooth as I can. Without pax, I just a tad quicker on the control inputs. One thing that I won't do is attempt to fly higher than the airplane wants to go, full boat or empty. But then again, I'm the original aeronatical chicken.

enigma

PS, it is rare for an airline line pilot to ever fly an empty airplane. My empty leg flights have been the result of delivery flights after maintenance, and the occasional reposition flight.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back