Williams Gateway Airport Flight Patterns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
8sm said:
I have a home in Ahwatukee/Foothills there are similar complaints about the flight patterns in/out of SkyHarbor.

So do I and I don't know what all the fuss is about. There is more noise from those soon-to-be-deaf-guy's driving around the neighborhood with the bass blasting away or the guy who thinks it is cool to sit in his garage opening the throttle on his Harley Davidson at all hours of the day, just because he thinks it sounds cool.

Resume Writer said:
When I signed my public report for the house, the paperwork said that we were NOT in the flight pattern, but the jets over my house say different.
:D

About 7-8 years ago, a friend of mine bought a house near IWA on Baseline and Higley. When he bought it, the girl in the sales office said there wouldn't be any noise issues because the airspace above the subdivision was "restricted". I had to here this for myself, so I went in with him one day and asked her about the noise. She gave me the same reply. I told her that either she had been given some bad info or she wasn't telling the truth. She then produce a sheet of paper that had the normal traffic pattern at IWA and the normal arrivial corridors into PHX. She said the planes had to avoid that area. My friend thought I had been put in my place until one night around 10pm I circled his house for about 5 minutes while returning from an air ambulace flight. Point is, these people will tell you anything to make the sale.

Isn't Queen Creek right around the Chandler Airport as well? What kind of overflying traffic do you get from that airport?

I know its probably a lot smaller aircraft then whats going into IWA, but I had a friend that lived out there and it was always annoying regardless.

There are parts of Queen Creek that are near Chandler Airport. My old house was about 5 miles north of Chandler Airport and the GA never bothered me.
I am WAY out in Queen Creek; almost to Florence! I moved out here because the housing was very inexpensive and it is very quiet - except the larger aircraft that fly into Williams. Since I work from my home, I can live anywhere.

The main reason I have posed this question is to find out how MUCH traffic is going to be generated if they go more commercial at Williams. The wind usually blows from west to east, and I think that one of the runways is set northeast to southeast on an angle. I figure with the wind patterns that I have seen so far that many of the aircraft with fly over my house.

xrated said:
About 7-8 years ago, a friend of mine bought a house near IWA on Baseline and Higley. When he bought it, the girl in the sales office said there wouldn't be any noise issues because the airspace above the subdivision was "restricted". I had to here this for myself, so I went in with him one day and asked her about the noise. She gave me the same reply. I told her that either she had been given some bad info or she wasn't telling the truth. She then produce a sheet of paper that had the normal traffic pattern at IWA and the normal arrivial corridors into PHX. She said the planes had to avoid that area. My friend thought I had been put in my place until one night around 10pm I circled his house for about 5 minutes while returning from an air ambulace flight. Point is, these people will tell you anything to make the sale.

I wonder if the sheet she produced was from when Williams was an AFB. I think these public reports are way off, as I read it cover to cover, and it said nothing about air traffic patterns.

Resume Writer said:
The main reason I have posed this question is to find out how MUCH traffic is going to be generated if they go more commercial at Williams. The wind usually blows from west to east, and I think that one of the runways is set northeast to southeast on an angle. I figure with the wind patterns that I have seen so far that many of the aircraft with fly over my house.

Only time will tell, but it sounds like the city of Mesa would like to generate as much traffic as possible. A big rumor for a while was making it a cargo hub. Good thing with that is there is a realitivley small percentage of cargo flights compared to passenger flights. Bad thing is the hours they typically run. Though I'd be suprised if it happens. IWA is so far east of town, therefore making trucking all the freight and packages into Phx a time consuming process.

Generally speaking, you are living right under (maybe a little to the west) the arrivals into runways 30 which is the predominate runways in use. I'm sure one day there will be regularly scheduled flights out of IWA but I doubt it will be substantial enough to be a major headache.

Overflights of QC

I live in QC and Fly a daily shuttle operation out of IWA and our flight from the West Coast always flys directly over the San Tans and sometimes as far south as Johnson Ranch and Copper Basin at about 4000 msl or 2400 agl in a twin jet commuter size. We do that 5 days a week and in the morning we fly over Pegasus Airpark on our way West. I see IWA as a major hub airport soon since PHX is growing so much and can definately support 2 major airports.

IMO

Tailwinds

Philso said:
So do I and I don't know what all the fuss is about. There is more noise from those soon-to-be-deaf-guy's driving around the neighborhood with the bass blasting away or the guy who thinks it is cool to sit in his garage opening the throttle on his Harley Davidson at all hours of the day, just because he thinks it sounds cool.
I lived in "the tuke" for a while and I always thought it ironic that the same people bitching about the aircraft on those arrivals that were 6000ft in the air and throttled back were the same ones that bought their spoiled-brat kids (when I see them walking down the street after dark I call them the "Ahwatukee toughs") those noisy little scooters with the chainsaw motors on 'em.

User997 said:
Isn't Queen Creek right around the Chandler Airport as well? What kind of overflying traffic do you get from that airport?

I know its probably a lot smaller aircraft then whats going into IWA, but I had a friend that lived out there and it was always annoying regardless.
I live just west of the 45 to downwind entry for RWYs 22. I enjoy it. :D

So what if IWA becomes commercial? The airport was here before a lot of the development out here. Where else is the traffic gonna go once PHX gets too busy?...Nice big 'ol airport out here that's capable. Let the state be stupid and waste money on a new, unnecessary airport somewhere, just like they blew millions on a new stadium for the worst team in the NFL.

Its not even that loud...chill out

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back