• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Terrorists Strike Aviation Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are terrorists likely to use aviation or another medium for another terrorist attack?

• Yes, aviation is the likely target.

Votes: 343 56.3%
  • No, terrorists will use other avenues.

Votes: 266 43.7%

• Total voters
cl604driver said:
I think it will happen again, but now we know what to do. Dont open the cockpit door. Do whatever it takes even if they kill everyone on board, but dont open the door and land the plane, and let the police do there job. I think the worst thing that congress ever did was to allow pilots to carry guns. You guys now have a steel reinforced door that cant be opened except from the inside only so why do you need a gun. I like guns and have a few myself but I am not going to go looking for a gun fight. If a terriost is on board with a gun well i am going to keep that door closed and land the plane. That is why we have police, swat, etc. I am a pilot not a marksman, sniper, etc. Chances are he is going to be waiting for so when you open the door. That is my thoughts.

The cockpit door may be bullet proof but not the head right next to it. What if a whacko sends a plug into the cockpit from some other area than straight through the cockpit door??? Doh

I will cautiously add air cargo to the discussion. Whats in the box? Who packed it? Pallets full of shrink-wrapped _____ ? from just about everywhere in the world.

cl604driver said:
That is why we have police, swat, etc.
Ummmm, yea, O.K.

Sheriff's Deputy Mistakes Pistol for Taser

[SIZE=-1]The Associated Press
Friday, June 23, 2006; 3:33 PM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
BREMERTON, Wash. -- A sheriff's deputy who was trying to get a man down from a tree shot and wounded him after mistakenly pulling a gun instead of a Taser, authorities say.

The deputy, a five-year veteran of the force whose name was not released, was placed on leave while Thursday's shooting is investigated.

Deputies carry both a Taser and a gun on their utility belts. The Taser, or stun gun, is similar in shape to the compact .40-caliber gun the deputy carried, sheriff's spokesman Scott Wilson said.

The victim was listed in satisfactory condition.

The man had been climbed a fig tree and stayed there for hours, talking to himself. Deputies were unsure whether he was intoxicated or psychotic, and they wanted to get him down before he hurt himself or others, Wilson said.

Deputies and rescue workers tried to coax him down for almost two hours, during which he became increasingly hostile, said David Blakeslee, an employee at an auto repair shop nearby
Blakeslee said the man climbed down on his own after getting shot.

"He said, `Ow, that hurt. I'm coming down, I'm coming down,'" Blakeslee said.

© 2006 The Associated Press​

kevdog said:
I wanted to hear what major airline pilots think about this matter. Has security changes changed the likelyhood of another terrorist attack via aviation, or will terrorists simply try other ways?

Only interested in " major airline pilot's" opinions? No regional, freight, etc., pilot's opinions?

Here's my .02 worth. The politically correct, DEMOCRAT, head-in-sand, incompetent transportation secretary, Norm Mineta....RESIGNED! He's one reason the TSA has been handcuffed from being more aggressive to weed out potential terrorists. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Man, I just dont get it....I see more gun toting pilots these days then I've ever seen during my twenty year career. I have to admit that it is nice to have a gun in the cockpit but once again we have chosen to provide a service for free.......When will it end.....Im currently looking for another career as this ocupation continues to go the way of Greyhound. I never thought I would say that but I am no longer proud to even be a Major Player. This profession is being destroyed by those amongst us who continuously give in to economic pressure AND THEIR OWN SELF INDUCED MACHISMO. I see no end unless our leaders in ALPA stand up and do the right thing. I for one will not subsidize pajama travelers anymore.....My life is too short for that. Good Luck to all. ( yes, I am currently employed and flying a line.)

The reality is this,they have not got bored and gone away,they have multiplyed and have mutated into independent cells with no tangible links to Al queda but with very similar goals as Al queda.they are here in this country watching,learning,probing for there next big spectacular.We cannot afford to let our guard down for one second,there threat may or may not have an Arab face and we must also be alert to that fact.The routine of security checks and added responsibility should not be relagated to just one more task before we go fly they are as relevent today as they were on September 12th,we will enevitably be the last link in the chain and if that day should arrive will you be ready?

Focus said:
Man, I just dont get it....I see more gun toting pilots these days then I've ever seen during my twenty year career.
You just like using the word tote.

Focus said:
I see no end unless our leaders in ALPA stand up and do the right thing.

Soemtimes that starts at the local level. And it's done through resolutions introduced at your LEC meetings. Thats where you find out if your thinking is right on track or your peers consider you to be out in left field.

Don't like how your local LEC runs things? Run for office....again, this will tell you if your thinking is square on or if your are waaaayyyy out there.

All the best for getting the changes you want.

Tejas

Dieterly said:
Ty, this thread was not meant for you to answer, Valuejet/Airtran is NOT a major airline.

What a jacka$$! There is always some moron who will turn every thread into a flame session.

Stick to question at hand and learn to forgive the airlines that turned you down.

Latest resources

Back