• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Terrorists Strike Aviation Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are terrorists likely to use aviation or another medium for another terrorist attack?

• Yes, aviation is the likely target.

Votes: 343 56.3%
  • No, terrorists will use other avenues.

Votes: 266 43.7%

• Total voters
Ty Webb said:
Gremlins? Like the AMC version? Pregnant rollerskate with denim seats?

Seriously, I didn't have anything to do with it. Maybe someone used the poll?

No idea, but your name was listed in the "last post" block with today's date. When I looked at the thread, it was your old post from 2004 though. Who knows.

There was just a Cathay Pacific thread listed at the top that is over a year old as well, so maybe they are having site problems.

Back to the original topic - my $.02.
I have been to many tactics conferences with the reserves - MOF I finished another one today. It is scary how cheap manpads - shoulder fired missiles are. SCARY. Now...no factory in Russia or China will just SELL them - but on the black market - if you figure the factory price plus markup - they are still cheap.
If a hi0-bypass fan took a hit - it would puke out its insides and the plane should be ok...that DHL bird took a hit in the wing and lost hydraulics - because the old POS missile they shot missed the engine......but that means those POSs could hit us anywhere on our planes.
Anyway - I don't think they will hijack a US plane again. I think passengers will attack them with every available means..pens.....seat cushions as shields..throw the FAs at them (our Delta FAs make formidable weapons).etc.
What worries me is how EASY it would be to get a manpad into the country. Hell...how many times to rich guys with 40' fishing boats go out for a nighttime fishing trip - 30 miles off the coast? They then rz with a big boat out of Sout America, then cruise back in the next day with some tuna and 1000lbs of coke - that could easily be a missile. IMO. So I think no to hijacking - yes to other methods of attemtping to attack us.
My $.02. We need to watch everything! Heck - there was a pipe bomb set near an AF base I work out recently!!!!!! Methinks that wasn't even some middle east radical either!!!
Thoughts?
PS all this was read on unclass sites too. :)

Another Perspective

A fascinating Op Ed by mathematician, philosopher, investor, Nassim Taleb, that appeared in the NY Times on April 8, 2004.

Before you flame, Taleb's not a Musilm, nor is he particularly political. He's just a very intereting fellow who sees the world through an interesting lens.

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/nyt.htm

80drvr said:
This topic has a high probability of exposing sensitive information in a public forum. Recommend any discussions along these lines be taken to a more secure site.
Rodger tango zulu leader, this is tango zulu one, switching freaks. Not.

The real threat is some mad man straping lazers to sharks heads ..... sharks with freaking LAZERS!

And when exactly does the profiling start? I'm getting a little tired of the TSA spending my social security money to search my Grandma everytime she comes to visit...

kevdog said:
I wanted to hear what major airline pilots think about this matter. Has security changes changed the likelyhood of another terrorist attack via aviation, or will terrorists simply try other ways?

All they have to do is put fear in your eyes. They already won. The industry was bound to hit the fan, but jesus, compare your job now compared to years ago. Who won?

I think it will happen again, but now we know what to do. Dont open the cockpit door. Do whatever it takes even if they kill everyone on board, but dont open the door and land the plane, and let the police do there job. I think the worst thing that congress ever did was to allow pilots to carry guns. You guys now have a steel reinforced door that cant be opened except from the inside only so why do you need a gun. I like guns and have a few myself but I am not going to go looking for a gun fight. If a terriost is on board with a gun well i am going to keep that door closed and land the plane. That is why we have police, swat, etc. I am a pilot not a marksman, sniper, etc. Chances are he is going to be waiting for so when you open the door. That is my thoughts.

Latest resources

Back