• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Terrorists Strike Aviation Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are terrorists likely to use aviation or another medium for another terrorist attack?

• Yes, aviation is the likely target.

Votes: 343 56.3%
  • No, terrorists will use other avenues.

Votes: 266 43.7%

• Total voters
Learjet Pilot said:
I think it will happen again, but now we know what to do. Dont open the cockpit door. Do whatever it takes even if they kill everyone on board, but dont open the door and land the plane, and let the police do there job. I think the worst thing that congress ever did was to allow pilots to carry guns. You guys now have a steel reinforced door that cant be opened except from the inside only so why do you need a gun. I like guns and have a few myself but I am not going to go looking for a gun fight. If a terriost is on board with a gun well i am going to keep that door closed and land the plane. That is why we have police, swat, etc. I am a pilot not a marksman, sniper, etc. Chances are he is going to be waiting for so when you open the door. That is my thoughts.
That would be a nice solution, but impractical. The door has to open for "physiologic" needs. A double barrier system could be devised, at great expense. No airline will spend the money. Besides, the intent of the airlines and government isn't to make travel more secure, it's to make the public feel better.
There are ways around that steel door and don't think the bad guys don't know them.
Telling the pilot to "just land the airplane" is like telling your wife to "just go home" if she's attacked in some isolated spot.
Armed pilots are the best deterrent we have.

Learjet Pilot said:
............I think the worst thing that congress ever did was to allow pilots to carry guns. You guys now have a steel reinforced door that cant be opened except from the inside only so why do you need a gun. I like guns and have a few myself but I am not going to go looking for a gun fight. If a terriost is on board with a gun well i am going to keep that door closed and land the plane. That is why we have police, swat, etc. I am a pilot not a marksman, sniper, etc. Chances are he is going to be waiting for so when you open the door. That is my thoughts.

"They could be waiting when you open the door." That's exactly how it could happen again.

Eventually the crew needs to eat and take a dump. Those doors don't keep anyone out when they are open. How many times does the door open during the flight? Every time it does the entire airplane is at risk.

THAT is why pilots are allowed to voulenteer for rigorous law enforcement training to carry a gun.

Why do you have guns at home? Don't you count on "the police, SWAT, etc." to be at your house within 2 seconds of your cry for help?

The only person you can count on to protect you is.......you.

Last edited:
pipejockey said:
I wholeheartedly agree with you. But put on any of the news stations, not 5 minutes will go by without them carelessly disclosing weaknesses in aviation. The media are obnoxious and it amazes me that they are not muzzled a bit. It seems they will not be happy until they scare everyone into not flying. I don't think we will ever see a strong demand for air travel again like we did pre 9-11 until the media decides to talk about something else.

Sorry to disagree but I think air traffic has reached and surpassed pre 911 days already, with this summer looking like record passenger levels.

Learjet Pilot said:
I think it will happen again, but now we know what to do. Dont open the cockpit door. Do whatever it takes even if they kill everyone on board, but dont open the door and land the plane, and let the police do there job. I think the worst thing that congress ever did was to allow pilots to carry guns. You guys now have a steel reinforced door that cant be opened except from the inside only so why do you need a gun. I like guns and have a few myself but I am not going to go looking for a gun fight. If a terriost is on board with a gun well i am going to keep that door closed and land the plane. That is why we have police, swat, etc. I am a pilot not a marksman, sniper, etc. Chances are he is going to be waiting for so when you open the door. That is my thoughts.

Geez, Learjet Pilot, you need to get a grip. You sound like you were brought up on Democratic talking points regarding government being able to take care of you, 24/7. How is a gun in the cockpit going to make it more unsafe? And how are police and FBI units going to protect you once Ahab starts beating down the door? There hasn't been any accidental discharges to my knowledge, so throw that negative out for now at least. Might Muhammed be waiting for a pilot to take a pee? Sure, but I bet he is much more happy to wait for the door to open on flights without a gun up front. Now he has to guess? Is there one or isn't there? These terrorists aren't the tough guys the media makes them out to be. They are determined and motivated, no doubt, but they like the route of least resistence. A potential gun in the cockpit is another variable for them. An FFDO unloading on a couple of them trying to break in might give the pilot flying enough time to put the plane on the ground while the door is closed again and/or the pax jump up and pound the fools into oblivion. Don't fret, your buddies at the ACLU will have plenty of time to sue the airline for excessive force.

If i were you guys i woulb be more worried about the right wing christian fanatic than anyone else. I was flying with this relgious nut the other day and he was telling me about christ and how i need to be saved. I ignored this guy during the whole trip and at the end, he returns to the plane because he mistakenly forgot his gun. He was a FFDO and i would never trust this nut.

Hey, did they ever catch the guy that bombed the abortion clinic for Jesus? I was walking around the terminal couple of days ago and this guy comes chanting about Jesus and how he saved the world, my flight attendant and I almost died laughing in our seat at this guy.

WMT said:
If i were you guys i woulb be more worried about the right wing christian fanatic than anyone else. I was flying with this relgious nut the other day and he was telling me about christ and how i need to be saved. I ignored this guy during the whole trip and at the end, he returns to the plane because he mistakenly forgot his gun. He was a FFDO and i would never trust this nut.

Hey, did they ever catch the guy that bombed the abortion clinic for Jesus? I was walking around the terminal couple of days ago and this guy comes chanting about Jesus and how he saved the world, my flight attendant and I almost died laughing in our seat at this guy.
Let me get this straight. You flew with a crewmember that was an FFDO and you didn't know it until the trip was over. He forgot his gun and went back for it? Where did he leave it?

WMT, you need to get your phoney stories straight. You appear to be an Atheist-fanatic. Like the other guy said, you fly with a guy but never knew he was an FFDO. Strike one. You are walking around the terminal when some guy starts babbling about Jesus, but you are laughed out of your seat. I thought you were walking. Strike two. Your info listed shows just over 1000 hours along with other nebulous data. Strike three. Not too convinced you are even a pilot.

WMT said:

Then call the TSA and tell them exactly what happened. If that is what happened you have a responsibility to report it. If not, run over to the Yahoo chatboards.

Latest resources

Back