• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Terrorists Strike Aviation Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are terrorists likely to use aviation or another medium for another terrorist attack?

• Yes, aviation is the likely target.

Votes: 343 56.3%
  • No, terrorists will use other avenues.

Votes: 266 43.7%

• Total voters

kevdog

I wanted to hear what major airline pilots think about this matter. Has security changes changed the likelyhood of another terrorist attack via aviation, or will terrorists simply try other ways?

Terrorists will try again, it is only a matter of time. It may or may not be al Quaeda, but there wil be more attempts, it's almost an historical certainty.

A few things have changed, though . . . no one will appease them. The passengers will be motivated to get involved, which will make it much more difficult. With new procedures, it will be much more difficult to gain access to the cockpit, where they may be met with a firearm, (if it happens in my cockpit, they will wish that it was only a firearm- but that's all I'm willing to say about that).

No, I think a more likely problem will revolve around explosives, or missiles used to bring an airliner down over a populated area.

As much as we all rip on the "Trying to Smell Alcohol" screeners, the best defense is a good offense, and I think that the Fed Gov't has done a good job so far of keeping them off balance enough that nothing has happened, yet. Hopefully, we will stay at least a half-step ahead of them.

SOme internet sources and foreign newspapers are saying that they are going to attempt something "major" in NYC on 2/2. Hopefully not, but "y'all be careful out there" . . . I know I will be.

Last edited:
This topic has a high probability of exposing sensitive information in a public forum. Recommend any discussions along these lines be taken to a more secure site.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to discuss actual policies, procedures, or protocol, but your point is well taken.

oh chhhhrist...

not the "dont talk about sensitive topics on our board" police again...

give it a rest please....

Just what I would have expected from a guy flying a plane built by . . . . . the French!

Merd!

kevdog said:
I wanted to hear what major airline pilots think about this matter. Has security changes changed the likelyhood of another terrorist attack via aviation, or will terrorists simply try other ways?

This is JMHO, but I feel that the flying public is waaaaay to vigilant! (1)Look what happened to that poor bastard on that Southwest flight, they sufficated him! (2)The poor kid who thought the AA flight in to ORD was going to hit the Sears Tower, the pax on that plane subdued him. (3)Richard Reid is another.
I just think that the flying public is done taking crap. 9/11 has changed the way we travel forever.
Again, these are just my thoughts!

80drvr said:
This topic has a high probability of exposing sensitive information in a public forum. Recommend any discussions along these lines be taken to a more secure site.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But put on any of the news stations, not 5 minutes will go by without them carelessly disclosing weaknesses in aviation. The media are obnoxious and it amazes me that they are not muzzled a bit. It seems they will not be happy until they scare everyone into not flying. I don't think we will ever see a strong demand for air travel again like we did pre 9-11 until the media decides to talk about something else.

Aviation gives terrorists a big bang for the buck and they seem obsessed with this avenue. Like Ty said, just a matter of time. If you don't have a plan B career, or you are counting on airline stock, you are taking a big chance.

I think it is getting tougher for them to try anything in the US or against US bound airliners. Even the shoulder fired rockets aren't really "bringing down" aircraft in Baghdad. I think they will try another avenue, like cruiseships---even though they are increasing security too.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back