• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA keep the 717s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I’ll explain my earlier post: personally, I am not convinced that the 717 are here to stay at SWA. Rumor has it, that it might be hard to keep these things going with parts and such. Who wants to fly an airplane not in production anymore,

Like the 757, Mad Dog (all versions), ATR (while it was out of the hunt), 727, DC8, "Classic" 747s, etc. Yeah, nobody flies planes that aren't currently rolling off the assembly line.

Back to the 717 issue and ICT as an example. I think MDW and DEN flights will be added with the 717 and now you get the whole country covered from ICT. Other similar cities will follow suit.

Like the 757, Mad Dog (all versions), ATR (while it was out of the hunt), 727, DC8, "Classic" 747s, etc. Yeah, nobody flies planes that aren't currently rolling off the assembly line.

Gary was in the MCO lounge in November talking to us, and his concern was not the airframe, but the engines. I know nothing about the DC-9 ;), but the AT ones supposedly have odd duck/problematic engines on them.

He mentioned repowering them if we keep them.

Gary was in the MCO lounge in November talking to us, and his concern was not the airframe, but the engines. I know nothing about the DC-9 ;), but the AT ones supposedly have odd duck/problematic engines on them.

He mentioned repowering them if we keep them.

I don't think our engines are any different than any other 717 . . . I believe they all have the Rolls-Royce BMW product (BR715). Apparently, some issues of WWII have not yet been resolved, and so the various components are waging their own minor skirmishes inside the cowling.

Bring back the JT8! ;)

I don't think our engines are any different than any other 717 . . . I believe they all have the Rolls-Royce BMW product (BR715). Apparently, some issues of WWII have not yet been resolved, and so the various components are waging their own minor skirmishes inside the cowling.

Bring back the JT8! ;)

Yeah, Gary said that there were other, more reliable options out there. This was a while ago, and things change, so who knows?

Apparently some time back there was an uptick in the engines seizing up resulting in some mods to the compressor sections that by all accounts have solved the problem. Any 717 guys have one crap out on you lately? Anyway, I know I'm one guy and I am surely jinxing myself now but I have 7 years of problem free time in it. Those engines work good and last long time!

Apparently some time back there was an uptick in the engines seizing up resulting in some mods to the compressor sections that by all accounts have solved the problem. Any 717 guys have one crap out on you lately? Anyway, I know I'm one guy and I am surely jinxing myself now but I have 7 years of problem free time in it. Those engines work good and last long time!

A buddy had one shred itself on takeoff about 3 months ago. Low speed (less than 60Kts).

The problem has been solved by only using one engine at a time. :D

Latest resources

Back