Will SWA keep the 717s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HVDRIVER,

The point is that the list is only worth the paper it's written on if we never go to one operating certificate. That list never happens if we don't! How much are the AAI guys willing to gamble that the SLI List may never happen if it harms SWA pilots and how much is SWA willing to cave if it harms SWA pilots or somehow (not sure how) would harm AAI pilots. That list never has to be implemented.

On one hand, we have Chase's post . . . . . and on the other, yours. AirTran pilots, like most people, respond a lot better to a handshake and a smile than threats and feeble attempts at intimidation. Buddy, we spent our years working under the remnants of some of the Industry's meanest, toughest, union-busting management imagineable, there is nothing you can say or do that will intimidate us. . . . . But a smile and a handshake will help your case more than anything.

I think the valmorification for the 717 will be a rewrite of FOM to align with SWA 737FOM and only keep the 717 specific variences.

While it may be cheaper to leave the 717 stuff alone, long term, one airline needs one way to operate.

Look at it this way, a three or four week paid vaction to DAL.

Point taken, and I agree...just seemed like a long time.

I mean, I can handle a week of heavy drinking, but three's gonna need a lot of extra training.....

.....starting now!

I think the valmorification for the 717 will be a rewrite of FOM to align with SWA 737FOM and only keep the 717 specific variences.

While it may be cheaper to leave the 717 stuff alone, long term, one airline needs one way to operate.

Look at it this way, a three or four week paid vaction to DAL.

I enjoyed living in big D and would enjoy going back. Hopefully we get a F/E deal for both and this time next year I won't even remember how to spell AirTran!!!

AirTran pilots, like most people, respond a lot better to a handshake and a smile than threats and feeble attempts at intimidation. . . But a smile and a handshake will help your case more than anything.

This coming from TW.....:laugh: LMAO!

BTW...just stating the facts that both sides need to play fair!

This coming from TW.....:laugh: LMAO!

BTW...just stating the facts that both sides need to play fair!

Whatever. buddy. :rolleyes:

Do a search . . . I don't start threads . . . and I don't pick fights, but I will engage.

Chase,

21 days? Is that just for indoc? That seems like a serious overkill and a waste of resources, (from training costs to lost productivity from idle flight crews). The 737 folks I can understand due to a lot of operational differences, but the 717, I imagine, would continue to operate satus quo post SOC.

I'd think a week to ten days would be plenty of time to cover company policies/ops differences....my humble opinion anyway.
From what I have been told when SWA pulls an aircraft from AirTran they plan on it taking 40 days to reconfig and repaint it to SWA standards. Since the aircraft won't be flying for 40 days that is when the AirTran crew will be trained. What with days off and IOE/UOE that does only leaves 21 days for ground school, sim training, and PC. Even if a pilot had just taken a PC on the 717 for AirTran the FAA will still require a PC, with the documented training, for SWA.

ATLPilot,

As to your question about the length....as much info that is passed out by any flight ops shop is "tentative", I would put my comments in that same category. Things change and if they do, AAI pilots will still be on property.

There is much to learn; our new hires bring their spouses for the first 2 days...will that happen with AAI pilots? Don't know but if there is a way to get off on the right foot, getting one's spouse on board isn't a bad way. Benefits are explained and they get to meet the leadership that calls the shots.

SWA is considered (as is any air carrier that is going through a merger I'm told) a "stressed carrier". We all need to be watching things closely and moving slowly with AAI integration, -800 integration in 1Q12 and other moving parts. Giving everyone sufficient time (some might say too much time) is a wise idea; plus there is much more than just flight ops to get exposed too.

Who knows if it will be executed in the manner I was told; the good news is a lot of thought is going to go into it and the sooner SLI issues can be resolved, the sooner the plan can be finalized and things moved forward.

No promises except a more enjoyable work environment and more bling on the 5th and 20th. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks for the info chase

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back