Will SKW slow down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FACT
Training dept. wanted to run a class of 70, but only had 23 to put in class.

RUMOR
1.Flying for Southwest and/or American...
2.C-Series aircraft 100+ seats

Source Sim instructor meeting..

Believe it when I see it....

P.S. dont kill the messenger!!

And you can't fly for AA because you fly 70-76 seaters for UAL, DAL and AA scope does not alow you to fly for them unless you guys start another certificate like CHQ-S5.

Thinking about making a move from Eagle to SKW. Have only been here a few months so the lateral move won't be too tough. I have heard that there are no more upgrade or new hire classes this year. Is this just a typical holiday slow down or are things not going to be fast at SKW anymore. I don't care if upgrade is less than a year but I don't want to jump ship if I'm going to be at the end of the hiring boom.

There are no more upgrades because cause there's not enough FO's

I heard something different on that pay vote where the "deal Brad an ace" statement was used. While a lot of pilots' selective ears heard

"Vote for this temporary less than ideal pay raise where 50-99 seat pay was the same, and you'll see a big raise next time",

that's not what I heard. What I heard was

"Vote for this pay package and the company will have the flexibility to attract more flying which will result in faster progression to the left seat which means more pay for you - not in the scale but in your progress through the scale."

I never heard anyone from SAPA or the managment team say otherwise. By the way, looking at the fleet structure before and after that vote, I think they delivered on that promise. Similarly, there may be some who are hearing the OC say,

"Vote ALPA in and life will be great",

even though the OC is not saying that. We often hear what we want to hear and not what people are saying. I think if ALPA is voted in, the OC will deliver on their promises but will fall short of what many of the pilots expected.

Andy,
The "deal Brad and ace" statement was more of a metaphor for all the promises that always come up every time we have a union drive on the property...it's those times that we all of a sudden start hearing from management about how we need to work together without a third party to make things better, how their door is always open, and how we should just trust them to take care of us once the evil union is voted down once again, etc., etc., etc.!
This from the same company that didn't see fit to give us any COLA for the last 7 years, and either 0 or 1% for the next four years. I've always been a strong advocate for the company, doing everything possible on my end to benefit Skyw, somehow going backwards for 11 years without any COLA for inflation doesn't quite fit my idea of working together?!!!

P.S. I voted NO on the TA because I don't believe pilots should sell themselves out for growth...from what I heard, we already had the flying either way! With the TA, it just meant more money for Skyw Inc., and less for the pilot group!

Last edited:
FACT
Training dept. wanted to run a class of 70, but only had 23 to put in class.

RUMOR
1.Flying for Southwest and/or American...
2.C-Series aircraft 100+ seats

Source Sim instructor meeting..

Believe it when I see it....

P.S. dont kill the messenger!!

Facts not Rumor

1. Nobody will be flying for Southwest but Southwest. Take that one to the bank. Skywest will not be flying for American--they own American Eagle and contract with TranStates only through the purchase of TWA. American does not need Skywest--now or in the future.

2. C-series aircraft 100 seats--if skywest flies these, they will have to purchase them and fly them under their own brand. THIS Will not happen in any hub that they fly for Delta or United because of Scope. Didn't ACA try this once? If skywest tries to step out of their niche, the Majors will crush them like they did ACA. However, I am sure your company would like you believe this right before the final hour of the VOTE.

Source Sim Instructor meeting??? Jerry uses them as a conduit for the misinformation distribution! If Skywest was going to do this in the future, they have a duty to protect this information until there is a public announcement per SEC rules or otherwise they could go to jail.

I plan on saving these B.S. posts so that I can repost them in the future for those of you who like Fool's Gold! Shame on you for buying into this B.S.!

...P.S. I voted NO on the TA because I don't believe pilots should sell themselves out for growth...from what I heard, we already had the flying either way! With the TA, it just meant more money for Skyw Inc., and less for the pilot group!

I voted no on that one too because I thought there should be a relationship between productivity and compensation.

Metaphor or not, do you get the point I was making? You can listen to each side with selective hearing and probably be disappointed even though each side is true to their statements?

This is all just last minute spin. The outcome is allready decided. Only the computer knows, tell "high noon."

I voted no on that one too because I thought there should be a relationship between productivity and compensation.

Metaphor or not, do you get the point I was making? You can listen to each side with selective hearing and probably be disappointed even though each side is true to their statements?

I do see the point you were making...However, I not only try and have an open mind(to avoid selective hearing), but also do a lot of my own research(to get a more unbiased view on things).

To sum it up, while I know ALPA can't come in and wave their magic wand to make everything perfect...the direction SAPA has been taking us for some time(while being steered by management) is not the right one! In a perfect world it would be nice if we could rely on those we elected to represent us at SAPA. However, sadly it has become all too apparent as to who they really represent over the last several years! No matter how hard I try, I can't come up with any justification for having no COLA for 11+ years from a company as succesful as Skyw(or for SAPA to have settled for, let alone advocate the lousy 0 and 1%)!

Last edited:
Sad thing is, some folks will buy into it. Those folks will be on the OC next time around.

Wow. That's quite profound rtmcfi.

That is one of the very few FI predictions that I would actually bet my next paycheck on.

Thinking about making a move from Eagle to SKW. Have only been here a few months so the lateral move won't be too tough. I have heard that there are no more upgrade or new hire classes this year. Is this just a typical holiday slow down or are things not going to be fast at SKW anymore. I don't care if upgrade is less than a year but I don't want to jump ship if I'm going to be at the end of the hiring boom.

Even with all the little problems going on with SkyWest, it is still a good place to work and the Boys in SGU always have something on the burner. My OPINION is do what you have to to not commute. If you end up spending alot of time at a regional then you will want to be home as much as possible. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back