will net jets change bases policy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ThisistheDream

now that new hires have to be based at one of the 5 cities, do people at net jets think this will always be the case or will it go back to the way it was when you could live in most major US cities. Also what can people do if they dont want to move to the base, can you acure enough frequent fliers in a few months that you could use those to get to and from your base? also is net jets willing to fly you from the city you finish in back to your home city vs. flying you back to your base if the cost is the same or less and if more will they let you pay the extra charge for the ticket. I am trying to figure out if it is at all possible to commute at netjets since we cannot jumpseat. If there are pilots there that got hired after the bases where in place and (Fly) commute on your own what do you do? thanks

Last edited:
ThisistheDream said:
now that new hires have to be based at one of the 5 cities, do people at net jets think this will always be the case or will it go back to the way it was when you could live in most major US cities.
Maybe, but don't count on it.

Also what can people do if they dont want to move to the base, can you acure enough frequent fliers in a few months that you could use those to get to and from your base?
No.

also is net jets willing to fly you from the city you finish in back to your home city vs. flying you back to your base if the cost is the same or less and if more will they let you pay the extra charge for the ticket.
Yes. You have to arrange it, though.

New guys are trying all sorts of things to try to make it work while hoping that the policy will change. It could change, but probably not soon and if it does, I would guess it would be to slowly add new domiciles and probably only enough to keep the new hire pipeline open. I've even heard that the original 5 they were letting people choose from is now down to CMH, PBI, and LAX.

Guys and gals are attempting some pretty hideous drives- many over 5 hours each way- trying to make things work. It will be really rough until they get 7 and 7 schedules, but at least that should happen fast as long as the hiring continues. Some are paying to airline themselves to their domicile then hoping to be able to fly back home at the end of the trip without ending the trip at the domicile. This could become very expensive. Some still have flight benefits from their former airlines and can do it for free as long as there is space available. I'm guessing none of these ways are going to work very well over the long run for a sizeable proportion of the people trying to do it and that there will be some extra turnover here once they decide it's not worth the hassle and/ or cost anymore. If you want the job, I would suggest moving either to one of the domiciles or to within an hour or two and plan on staying there for while. I think eventually there will be more choices, but not until the well is dry of good applicants and that will probably take a while.

if you commute what time would you have to be available on day one is it 6am or when ever they assign you trip? also what are the schedules like all 7 on 7 off or 5 on 4 off??

ThisistheDream said:
if you commute what time would you have to be available on day one is it 6am or when ever they assign you trip? also what are the schedules like all 7 on 7 off or 5 on 4 off??
You have to be in domicile at the report time on your brief, which you could get as late as 7pm the night prior. Provided they brief you by 2pm, you could be required to start at 12am on day 1.

If you're on the 7&7, it's just what it says. If you're on reserve, it could be anything that results in 18 days of work and your 4 requested hard days off (H days).

The new domicile system is not for the commuter. Many of us drove hours to be in position for that dreaded 1am wake upo call that may or may not have come. 91K has made things soooo much easier and to mu knowledge, Netjets is the only major fractional observing it.

If you get hired now be prepared to report to the Domicile you are hired into for quite some time.

The Company really wants to do away with the HBA system and they want to reduce all the crew bases into what we have now or maybe just a few more....they are going to fight it all the way.

Folks in the middle of the country are pretty much hosed....

Are you down to 2 cities now or what?

jtf said:
I've even heard that the original 5 they were letting people choose from is now down to CMH, PBI, and LAX.

What the truth to this? One of ACPs at flexjet has been spreading this rumor around now that it is down CMH and PBI only. Since this and some other crap are being widely used in the "look what the union got NJA" propaganda, I am very interested in the facts if someone can definitively confirm or deny. Thanks.

Also, are there relocation expenses paid for new hires or bonuses for HBA eligible guys to move?

Nope...new hires have to move on their own if they want to.....

Who really knows what domiciles are open or not? Send in a resume and see what they say....

Let the ACP at Flex spread those rumors....make sure he spreads them all, like our pay raise, benefits package, crew meal program, 401K, uniform program, vacation time, sick time accrual, our 91K no call during rest policy, our fatigue policy.ect.ect.ect.....

There is a reason why NJA is the leader in the fractional business......not just from a management piont of view but from pilot's QOL point of view as well.

I think it's down to CMH and PBI but these bases have nothing to do with the union. The union wanted more bases but the company wanted to show them how it could be done with just 5. So the union said do whatever you want. The company said fine we'll do 5 and still be able to hire 450 pilots. HAAAA

I guess if you don't study history you're doomed to repeat it. Idiots. Ever wonder why we had to go from 1 gateway to 26?

Oh well another example of the left hand (hiring) not knowing what the right hand (scheduling) needs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back