will net jets change bases policy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
be-400xpdriver said:
To quallify for moving expense as a new hire is if you are awarded a Home Base Airport designation. Then only if you move from your HBA to a domicile. Then you lose all rights to Home Base Airport in the future. At this time all new hires are Domicile based.
Hmmmmm.... I thought it sounded too good to be true. :( And I was so excited about not using U-haul for once in my life!

I'm disappointed for you, CA1900. It sounds great, initially. But the more you read, the worse it gets. The company gets to proffer a deal that makes them look good, all the while knowing very few will take them up on their offer. Another PR mistake. Things like that just hurt morale. If they aren't sincere, they shouldn't bother.

netjetwife said:
Things like that just hurt morale. If they aren't sincere, they shouldn't bother.
It has nothing to do with sincerity. It's in the contract that we voted in. As long as everyone reads the contract (current pilots AND prospective new-hires), there will be no surprises.

Not everything in the new contract was a win for us (you can't expect it to be, either), but the good outweighs the bad.

Am I a fan of new-hires being stuck in domiciles til who-knows-when? No. But it's no secret, so they shouldn't be surprised when that's exactly what happens. Same with moving expenses. They should take the time to read our contract and understand what they're in for, before accepting a job offer. Due diligence and all that.

What's truly going to bite the company in the ass is the lack of the training contract. People will come here not understanding the contract, get a type, find out that commuting won't work, and bail.

I understand everything you're saying, UG, and realize the fine print spells things out. I did caution pilots to read closely, did I not? My point is that the inclusion of something that is all show and no substance serves no purpose and potentially erodes the opportunity to build good will that a real offer could have made. When a benefit comes with so many strings attached that few people will be interested in it, you have to question the motivation behind it, and the attitude that generated the motive. Their unacceptable offer to pay moving expenses only highlights their true opinion of the pilot force. That being the case, they did more harm than good. With the new CBA was supposed to come a new labor-management relationship. That didn't help.

I would send Netjets a resume tomorrow if they would allow new hire homebasing, there is no way in God's earth I would accept an LAX domicile, even with the new contract-it doesn't pay enough with SoCal's exhorbitant cost of living.

After living 14 years in LA I gave California the big goodbye because of cost of living factors, I'll just bide my time or consider other opportunities.

TDB, you're a living example of the problem I (and others) have been pointing out. Your valid complaint is the very reason the domicile debacle needs to fail. The NJ pilots had so much lost ground to make up for in their new CBA that it just wasn't possible to accomplish all that needed to be done at this time. The continued low FO pay and their domicile experiment are the outstanding problems that , alas, were not completely correctable. Those areas saw some progress but clearly more needs to be done. The Local is keeping a close eye on the situation and will try to salvage something from the mess if circumstances force the company to reconsider. Stay tuned. I'm sorry for you and your family that things are this way.

Best Wishes,
Netjetwife

netjetwife said:
TDB, you're a living example of the problem I (and others) have been pointing out. Your valid complaint is the very reason the domicile debacle needs to fail. The NJ pilots had so much lost ground to make up for in their new CBA that it just wasn't possible to accomplish all that needed to be done at this time. The continued low FO pay and their domicile experiment are the outstanding problems that , alas, were not completely correctable. Those areas saw some progress but clearly more needs to be done. The Local is keeping a close eye on the situation and will try to salvage something from the mess if circumstances force the company to reconsider. Stay tuned. I'm sorry for you and your family that things are this way.

Best Wishes,
Netjetwife

Thanks for your concern, with home basing I can afford the move to Netjets with the current contract, LAX on $39000/yr? I don't think so. So I'll wait and watch to see if policy changes.

Don't look for the domicile basing system to "fail" anytime soon.

Talked to my buddy who recently hired on there, he asked how many applications they were getting from "qualified" pilots, and he was told "more than we could ever work through to interview".

I know of 2 or 3 people who have put in resumes, got the email response back, but never received an application yet I did, and we have almost identical backgrounds and experience.

They seem to have all they can handle right now just getting through the resumes. Remember, there's over 10,000 furloughed pilots out there right now looking for jobs, not to mention the thousands at regionals who are drooling over the new pay rates at Netjets.

Unfortunately, I don't see the "shortage" coming anytime soon, which is a shame. If you guys had home basing I'd have jumped all over it.

Lear70 said:
Don't look for the domicile basing system to "fail" anytime soon.

Spot on I think (the above statement). There are enough people wanting/needing a job that there will be no shortages any time soon. And that's not even considering another round of furloughs, for whatever reason that may happen.

The only way domiciles will change to HBA for post CBA folks will be on the next (or subsequent) contract , and that's years away.

NJA has got something in mind with the domiciles, a "master plan" if you will. Make all the jokes you like (I'm sure I would agree), but the facts are the facts. It's the law of the land and the law is not likely to change until the pilots make it an issue and vote it so. Whether there is going to be enough solidarity for "HBA for all" vs. what may be more burning issues at the time is to be seen. Only time will tell.

Come here expecting a domicile for your career, and perhaps you may be pleasently surprised. But don't plan your life around it.

TheDogsBollocks said:
I would send Netjets a resume tomorrow if they would allow new hire homebasing, there is no way in God's earth I would accept an LAX domicile, even with the new contract-it doesn't pay enough with SoCal's exhorbitant cost of living.

You don't have to worry about LA. From what I am hearing LAX is not offered anymore. CLOSED. Only PBI and CMH. Kind of fun watching them dig and dig and dig their hole. I wonder when they will open their eyes. Then things will get interesting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back