Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why isn't there a union for the Regionals??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only time government should facilitate commerce is when the potential tax revenues exceed the construction costs. Airlines don't want to increase tax generating capacity. They want to increase frequencies and reduce gauge. There is no upside for system improvements from the government point of view.

The correlation between airtraffic congestion and highway congestion is really quite similar. In both situations increasing the amount of concrete available will likely address the problems. The problem is getting the concrete where people want it. Like PCL says above, nobody wants to go to ISP. They want to go to LGA and they don't have space for more concrete. Likewise, a new interstate across Death Valley would do little ease traffic in the LA basin.

Somehow people seem to accept supply and demand for their ground travel needs. If a certain route is unbearably congested they look for other routes, ride mass transit, carpool, or just don't go. This concept is lost on air travelers though who have the "entitlement" attitude that their $100 ticket should provide them a seemless travel experience.

FWIW: If my memory serves me right the interstate highway system was conceived for the use of the military and to provide jobs to a largely unemployed America. Either way, huge tax revenues have been generated from their construction.

Yeah, and I guess the airlines don't generate huge tax revenues, being one of the highest taxed industries in this country...Jet fuel taxes, landing fees, gate fees, security fees, etc.?

Yeah, and I guess the airlines don't generate huge tax revenues, being one of the highest taxed industries in this country...Jet fuel taxes, landing fees, gate fees, security fees, etc.?

The bulk of taxes are generated by ticket sales. Like I said earlier though, airlines aren't selling more tickets. They just want more flights in a smaller gauge airplane.

The bulk of taxes are generated by ticket sales. Like I said earlier though, airlines aren't selling more tickets. They just want more flights in a smaller gauge airplane.

They aren't selling more tickets??? So traffic levels are the same now as they were right after 9/11? Rigghttt!

They aren't selling more tickets??? So traffic levels are the same now as they were right after 9/11? Rigghttt!

No, but they're about the same as they were right before 9/11, only with lots more smaller airplanes.

And where are you going to put these numerous new runways and gates? Been to LGA lately? Not exactly a lot of space. How 'bout DCA? Same problem. MDW? We barely have enough room to clear the houses at the end of the runway on takeoff.

Personally, I'm a big fan of regulation in aviation. The airlines are now the backbone of the national economy. Allowing the airlines to behave in whatever manner they choose and clog up the limited space we have with their ridiculous little RJs that are merely a tool of breaking mainline labor is absurd. I'd love to see a return of the CAB and a completely regulated industry. If the airlines continue with their stupidity, then that's exactly what we'll see happen years down the road when they've completely crippled the transportation system with more and more RJs.

Let's start by not letting pilots buy the right seat!
And, the ones that do, are not allowed to voice their piehole for 10 years. Got the hint pcl?
What a wonderful world it would be...
rum

And, the ones that do, are not allowed to voice their piehole for 10 years. Got the hint pcl?
rum

You really should remove that sand from your mangina.

rum

You guys that slam on PCL 128 really get off on generalizing him don't you? I bet it makes you feel better about yourselves. Give it a rest.

I can't smile on his method of entering this profession but like most in his ranks back then they didn't know sh*t when they signed up. Unlike many though he learned as he went and now knows more about this business than most veterans.

His selfless contributions to this profession in his first decade are more than the people who discredit him will probably ever achieve. Go figure.

It always pains me to see an ALPA rep defending deregulation. I know you must have read Flying the Line, Vol II at least once. Deregulation is the singular catalyst that has sent this profession down the sh*&er. The sooner we reregulate, the better.

I guess its the libertarian side of me. I just feel the less the government has their fingers on things the better. The government should only regulate aviation safety. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and I guess Carter and Kennedy didn't think this was an exception.

And yes, I have read Flying the Line I & II.

The only time government should facilitate commerce is when the potential tax revenues exceed the construction costs. Airlines don't want to increase tax generating capacity. They want to increase frequencies and reduce gauge. There is no upside for system improvements from the government point of view.

The correlation between airtraffic congestion and highway congestion is really quite similar. In both situations increasing the amount of concrete available will likely address the problems. The problem is getting the concrete where people want it. Like PCL says above, nobody wants to go to ISP. They want to go to LGA and they don't have space for more concrete. Likewise, a new interstate across Death Valley would do little ease traffic in the LA basin.

Somehow people seem to accept supply and demand for their ground travel needs. If a certain route is unbearably congested they look for other routes, ride mass transit, carpool, or just don't go. This concept is lost on air travelers though who have the "entitlement" attitude that their $100 ticket should provide them a seemless travel experience.

FWIW: If my memory serves me right the interstate highway system was conceived for the use of the military and to provide jobs to a largely unemployed America. Either way, huge tax revenues have been generated from their construction.

You may have a point with revenue versus taxes. But I disagree with your premise that airlines don't want to increase revenue. As for the upside for the government, don't forget that this is a government of the people and for the people.

There is the possibility to increase concrete or utilize the concrete already in existence in places that its needed. People will go to where it makes sense for them to go.

The point is that if commerce demands it, the government should try to facilitate it. You could also use the railroads as another analogy for this.

I guess its the libertarian side of me. I just feel the less the government has their fingers on things the better.

Normally I would agree. I'm a big fan of free markets in the general sense, but some industries need to be excepted from that rule. The aviation industry is now the backbone of the US and world economies. Without a functioning air transportation system, the entire world economy would collapse, and the US would feel the biggest brunt of it. That was the original intent of regulation and the RLA in the aviation industry. The industry was considered too important to national commerce and national security to allow to be swayed by sometimes-volatile free markets. I think this industry has proven that it's far too volatile to be subject to the whims of a free market. A return of the CAB and full regulation would be a welcome event, as far as I'm concerned.

Latest resources

Back