Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why I am extremely nervous about 9E bankruptcy.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
listen people. You are paid to fly an airplane by the POM-nothing else. Given emergency authority is the only reason you should drift from that book. This argument hold no water. If you fly with me and sway from the book we will talk about it. If you disagree you can take yourself off the flight or I will. I don't give a crap if you are a senior captain or the newest of FO's who knows it all. I do not care if I am an FO or a Captain-if I am straying from the POM, then you must address the issue.

Not to sound like a know it all, cuz I am just an ordinary Captain, but no where in our POM, FOM, or anywhere else does it say to dial it up to 250kts out of ATL. I can point to a company memo that tells us to accelerate as soon as practical to 250kts out of ATL. Which it is telling us to disregard the climb of 210kts to 3000 AGL.

So tell me what is the problem with my technique of dialing it to 210kts until the flaps VMO line disapears and then dialing it to 250kts. I think thats good form and stick by it.

And for all you FO's that think I am being a stick in the mud, when the FO is flying and dials it all the way up to 250kts...I let them, but let them know my philosophy on the deal. As long as they understand the pitfalls of it all, they can fly their own technique. I just personally think it is a bad technique.

Not to sound like a know it all, cuz I am just an ordinary Captain, but no where in our POM, FOM, or anywhere else does it say to dial it up to 250kts out of ATL. I can point to a company memo that tells us to accelerate as soon as practical to 250kts out of ATL.

I couldn't find anywhere in those manuals either where it says to not crash the plane. There isn't even a memo on that either. :rolleyes:

I couldn't find anywhere in those manuals either where it says to not crash the plane. There isn't even a memo on that either. :rolleyes:

So we agree that dialing it up to 250kts is a technique and not per the book? Once we agree with that then we can move on to the debate of what is good technique and what is not.

So we agree that dialing it up to 250kts is a technique and not per the book? Once we agree with that then we can move on to the debate of what is good technique and what is not.

250 kts is to comply with the ATL RNAV SIDS. But you obviously don't read them.

Last edited:
More of a mandated technique. Just do it. Its not that hard and thousands of pilots before you have done it safely. If your going to be the guy who is constantly reinventing guidance from the standards department, its going to be a tough road here for you. If you really don't like, get involved and try to get it fixed the right way.

listen people. You are paid to fly an airplane by the POM-nothing else. Given emergency authority is the only reason you should drift from that book. This argument hold no water. If you fly with me and sway from the book we will talk about it. If you disagree you can take yourself off the flight or I will. I don't give a crap if you are a senior captain or the newest of FO's who knows it all. I do not care if I am an FO or a Captain-if I am straying from the POM, then you must address the issue.

If you can create a book that has a the perfect output for every input, you wouldn't have a job. They would write a computer program with all the input/output codes matched up. If you've been in this business very long and paid attention, I'm sure you've seen that "infallible book" waffle on the same topic several times. I'm not saying that the information written in the book isn't fantastic guidance and in most cases has a very good procedure for most situations, but certainly not infallible or even all encompassing. It's been my experience that people who say "Fly by the book and nothing else," are either trying to prove a point or are using that book to make up for a lack of leadership, decision making ability, or airmanship.

More of a mandated technique. Just do it. Its not that hard and thousands of pilots before you have done it safely. If your going to be the guy who is constantly reinventing guidance from the standards department, its going to be a tough road here for you. If you really don't like, get involved and try to get it fixed the right way.

Mandated technique is what is written in the book. Personal technique is something else.

For God's sake people someone put together a reasonable aurgument as to why you dial up the speed bug to 250 with the flaps down.

Enough of the BS of, flight standards, its the way we do it, the flaps will come up before you reach 230...blah, blah, blah. Its poor technique.

As getting involved, I have been involved on got burned out, now I just argue on Flightinfo.

Next we can argue why you guys put a space in the flight number on the EICAS screen. Hold on, let me guess, its so you can see it better. Roll eyes.

Not to sound like a know it all, cuz I am just an ordinary Captain, but no where in our POM, FOM, or anywhere else does it say to dial it up to 250kts out of ATL. I can point to a company memo that tells us to accelerate as soon as practical to 250kts out of ATL. Which it is telling us to disregard the climb of 210kts to 3000 AGL.

So tell me what is the problem with my technique of dialing it to 210kts until the flaps VMO line disapears and then dialing it to 250kts. I think thats good form and stick by it.

And for all you FO's that think I am being a stick in the mud, when the FO is flying and dials it all the way up to 250kts...I let them, but let them know my philosophy on the deal. As long as they understand the pitfalls of it all, they can fly their own technique. I just personally think it is a bad technique.

You are making this complicated. Pinnacle's procedure out of ATL on the 200s, as specified in the specific yellow CCI pages for ATL in the LIDOs, bug 250 out of 1000. Flaps come up at V2+12 for flaps 8 or V2+20 for flaps 20. You make your standard callouts and clean the airplane, well below 200 knots. You shouldn't even see the red barber pole as long as you followed your profile and called flaps up at V2+20.

So what's the big deal? Flap overspeed? Why? Because you forgot the callout to get the flaps up?

I never saw anyone at 9E do what you are saying out of ATL. But if a guy did, I'd consider it nonstandard. The book doesn't say to bug 220, wait to clean up, and then do 250. I understand where you're coming from, but the book didn't have that written in it. Now I left recently, but I distinctly remember the CRJ-200 LIDOs for ATL in the CCI page said you could do 250 out of 1,000AGL.

Edit: I spoke of the -200. I dont know the -900 operations. That thing has slats, and I don't know where the barber pole is or at what speed you clean slats up. But on the -200, with a flaps 20 takeoff you cleaned up flaps at V2+20, typically by 170kts and positive trend, the flaps were coming to 0. I don't think I ever saw the red barber pole on the speed scale for flap overspeed on a takeoff in a CRJ-200.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back