Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You seemed to have missed the point. You must to be a "one issue" individual.
Boxboy and others, I apologize for jumping on that one phrase and thus missing your larger point. It was unnecessarily self-righteous. Too easy to do on these boards.

Last edited:
Boxboy and others, I apologize for jumping on that one phrase and thus missing your larger point. It was unnecessarily self-righteous. Too easy to do on these boards.

No problem. I tend to get a little sarcastic with my postings sometimes. My tour in the American Toy Company (ATC) has some to do with it, I guess.:D

Happy Memorial Day, ya'll and thank you to all those who have sacrificed so much!

Wave, you speak out of both sides of your mouth. You say in some posts that regional pilots are just as good and just as deserving, yet in this thread demand that mil guys go to a regional to gain experience.

If the operations are the same, then what is the difference? Are regional pilots "lesser" thus not as deserving? Are their operations more dangerous and complicated? If so why shouldn't they be making more money and you get $24/hour for how easy your job is. What experience is there to be gained by practicing bleeding for the almighty job at the majors? If a mil guy is so dangerous why should they be doing 5 legs a day in a more dynamic environment with a less experienced captain? Seems like the slow/steady pace with more experienced captains at the majors is where they belong.

It's not rocket science man. Either a guy sucks, or they don't. Show up, fly to the SOP/FAR's, go home. Whether it's an RJ or a 737 is irrelevant. You're just pissed because you had to and they didn't. Guess what, you didn't spend years deployed away from family, executing some of the most demanding flying in the world. "Sacrifice" is subjective. One of the perks of volunteer service is the experience the private sector adores in and out of the cockpit. Since you never did it, and have not even the faintest idea the dynamics, training and sacrifice involved, maybe you shouldn't talk to it?

Haha
Probably not bubba ;)

Box- what I know is military guys performance in civilian ops-
You remember, the OP here-
They don't suck as pilots, they just don't know the civilian world.
No disrespect, but one should have experience before attaining the most valuable and responsible positions in the sector.
Or do you think I ought to be able to sign up in the Air Force, go through A10 school, start flying close air support sorties?
Why can mil guys come right in, often with little to no transport category experience, and immediately go into 121 ops- but I'd have to start at square 1 to have a mil career. Actually we'd be denied by age long ago no matter how capable we are of flying a kc135.
Fair is fair- sounds like a good deal to put in a few years at a regional.

1000hrs 121 time should be as standard a requirement for major airlines as 1000 TPIC

If this offends you, you got a serious arrogance problem.

I just flew - last night - with a new upgrade - turned the wrong way twice taxiing and told me that "taxiing was the hardest part of the job", and was overwhelmed by basic MELs.
Capable, and will get better, but for $250k/year- maybe you should have done this type of op before.

Hey Wave,
I'm gonna beat this dead horse for one last time. Please don't think of what I'm about to say as arrogance. I feel very fortunate to have had an opportunity to serve and be a part of Uncle Sam's flying fraternity.

Uncle Sam doesn't spend millions of dollars on just anyone to fly his airplanes. Uncle Sam's training program has proven track record that it is extremely effective; we've achieved air superiority in every war/conflict where our presence was made known. We can agree that we have the mightiest military force in the world (though coming to an end slowly... whole different can of warms:().
You keep referring to 121 time and how much the military folks need experience in this subject. What is so hard about it, if you don't mind me asking? We all have access to the FAR/AIM, FOM, MEL, aircraft manuals, etc. We are all literate. The airlines don't even require you to memorize the FOM or the systems manual, as was required in the AF. The memorization items in the airline world is minimal. They train to the lowest common denominator. Besides, in this day and age, upgrades will take a decade or more so we, the dumb ex-mil types, have plenty of time to catch up. I remember upgrading to aircraft commander in less than a year, flying all over God's planet. My buddy who flew F-16s was leading a 4 ship into combat with just over 500 hours in the jet. You think we should have received remedial 121/135 training?
From my experience, the airline flying is exponentially easier than any flying I did in the military. All of the planning is done by dispatch, the hotels are setup, crew meals are on board the aircraft... we show up and fly the jet from point A to point B. The bottom line is that the ex-mil types are trainable and can adapt to the major airline flying. That's my .02.

"I just flew - last night - with a new upgrade - turned the wrong way twice taxiing....."

You are wrong about something there Wave. You both turned the wrong way twice. There's two people up there for a reason. I think we've all attended retirement dinners and listened to the retirees thank the many Captains, FO's and FE's who have kept them off the Chief Pilot's radar over the years. I can't help but think that if you were doing what you were supposed to do in the right seat you could have helped your Captain out. Also...how long does it take to upgrade at SW? After all those years in the right seat the MEL is that mysterious? Seriously!

Latest resources

Back