Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is nothing more entertaining than a guy with no experience or street cred trying to argue a point.

Get back in your box. Literally.

He made a very valid point and it was well said, yet all you did was respond with a grade school level insult? Really?
His point was spot on that a good pilot can come from any background as can a weak one. It is in fact up to the individual .
I find it interesting that apparently SWA has a clique of what has been named Kernals. They sound like a piece of work and in fact not particularly good airline pilots, I have to wonder if some of them are in on this string? Any pilot that thinks his background makes him superior invariably ends up being weaker than the pilots that have the attitude livingthesim expressed. Whether it's someone that thinks they are better because they went to Embry Riddle or someone thinks because they came from a certain branch of the service, it's always the ones with the narcissistic attitude that need to express their background makes them better that are generally the ones with an inferiority complex and not confident enough to let their flying speak for themselves.

Because you are allowed to shoot practice approaches, and if you just happen to get the runway in sight, and deem it safe to land, you can.

You know OPNAV prohibits practice approaches when the wx is below mins, right? For this very reason. Not that it probably matters anymore.

Dan, he's making generalizations about different groups of pilots having never actually flown with any of them. Sim instructing is not flying.

Last edited:
You know OPNAV prohibits practice approaches when the wx is below mins, right? For this very reason. Not that it probably matters anymore.

Dan, he's making generalizations about different groups of pilots having never actually flown with any of them. Sim instructing is not flying.

Well he is still in a good position to see a lot of pilots perform and he is correct that a persons background says a lot less about how he will do versus his attitude and and the individual.

It did back in the day, there where always minimums with PAR's.

Not saying, when the night was long, weather sucked, and fuel was on fumes, you did do what you had to do. Been there.

The kernel comment, not reserved fro military guys, in fact, it only applies to those self selected few who can't seem to get along, live let live, or cooperate and graduate. Every encounter with them is a test of wills. An ego thing. No need to be military to have that kernel moniker.

There is nothing more entertaining than a guy with no experience or street cred trying to argue a point.

Get back in your box. Literally.

I have no experience or street cred? Now, how would you know that, you little nancy-boy? Keep swinging your purse at me tho, it allllmost hurts...

Maybe you're projecting your own insecurities and raw cowardice onto others?

Last edited:
It did back in the day, there where always minimums with PAR's.

Not saying, when the night was long, weather sucked, and fuel was on fumes, you did do what you had to do. Been there.

The kernel comment, not reserved fro military guys, in fact, it only applies to those self selected few who can't seem to get along, live let live, or cooperate and graduate. Every encounter with them is a test of wills. An ego thing. No need to be military to have that kernel moniker.

True

But it's mostly ex military and everybody knows it including you.

I think that's the thing - civilians know with no question that we have our special ed pilots- too many mil guys come in cocky-

And the good ole boy network they have set up absolutely pisses on the good civilians
It's flat out wrong and discriminatory

It didn't back in the day, I don't think, not 100% positive.

From the mid 80's on when I was involved there were minimums. For me to give a PAR below mins an emergency had to be declared and even then guidance stopped over landing threshold.
As your pic is some version of the SH-60 I imagine you were a VV/VM aviator and published mins applied. Short of a VFR practice approach followed by a hold what you got from threshold in, you didn't do a 0/0 approach to a runway. Can't speak to what the swabbies did on the boat.

Zero automation, PAR.

PAR? I am no more impressed by PAR than I am by CATIII.

Wrong, they try to make the QRH easy for everyone now and there are so few memory items also.

I would say it is more up to the individual on how they handle an emergency.

I think we can all agree that there is more to handling an emergency than simply reading a QRH. I mean, srsly???

If all it took was reading skills and a basic aircraft checkout, then we could have 400 hour captains.

Nice try, but try again.

It absolutely baffles me how hard people will work to try and compare a fresh low-time military pilot as automatically a better candidate than a 10,000 hour regional captain.

There is like some sort of "that does not compute" circuit or something. It's like a primitive tribe of egoism, I have to say.

I would never try to claim that civilian pilots are superior, but I have seen more than a few outperform military pilots.

"It all depends on the individual" only the insecure or foolish would try to argue with that.

Last edited:

Who says I have not flown with a wide mixture of pilots? You're inferring a lot from my screen name.

But anyway, the sim gives you a real chance to see how good a pilot's technical skills are, since you can really test their positional awareness in ways that you can't readily observe on the line.

Getting lost on dme arcs, poor power management on non-precision approaches, poor V1 cuts, over-reliance on the FD, etc.

The military guys don't really perform much different than the civilian ones.

It all depends on the pilot.

Latest resources

Back