Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The bottom line is that the ex-mil types are trainable and can adapt to the major airline flying. That's my .02.
bingo give that man a cigar, 121 training is just another training evolution, matching my .02. But I will admitt, there are some ex-mil jerks out there and I have flown with him, I don't think he liked Navy pilots

bingo give that man a cigar, 121 training is just another training evolution, matching my .02. But I will admitt, there are some ex-mil jerks out there and I have flown with him, I don't think he liked Navy pilots

And, its because they all have college degrees, from college's nowadays.

1000hrs 121 time should be as standard a requirement for major airlines as 1000 TPIC

If this offends you, you got a serious arrogance problem.

Spare me the crying violin dude. If you really want to feel like the red headed bastard step child in the hiring process, try being a corporate/135 pilot.

HR interviewer: "What is a HS-125" (as she pulls a few aviation books out of the stack next to her desk)

Me: No, it's not in the "East European Helicopter" guide, not in the "Aircraft of the USMC", do you know what a Learjet and a Gulfstream are?

HR: "Uhhhh, yes"

Me: It's a biz jet between the two in size.

Personally, I wouldn't hire you commuter dorks, half of whom Daddy wrote a check for some "be a pilot" college. I'd skip a bunch of military weenies also. Tell some of those guys we're diverting to a new field without a 5 hour morning briefing and they "wig out" :laugh:

Too bad there aren't 20,000 Learjet check runners available with 3000 hours in a LR-25, half the time with inop yaw dampers. :beer:

Even better is the ramp for of charter birds at a ramp near an auto plant short of parts at 3 am. Made the Star Wars bar scene look like an Iowa Rotary club meeting (YIP's seen this)

Last edited:
Spare me the crying violin dude. If you really want to feel like the red headed bastard step child in the hiring process, try being a corporate/135 pilot.

HR interviewer: "What is a HS-125" (as she pulls a few aviation books out of the stack next to her desk)

Me: No, it's not in the "East European Helicopter" guide, not in the "Aircraft of the USMC", do you know what a Learjet and a Gulfstream are?

HR: "Uhhhh, yes"

Me: It's a biz jet between the two in size.

Personally, I wouldn't hire you commuter dorks, half of whom Daddy wrote a check for some "be a pilot" college. I'd skip a bunch of military weenies also. Tell some of those guys we're diverting to a new field without a 5 hour morning briefing and they "wig out" :laugh:

Too bad there aren't 20,000 Learjet check runners available with 3000 hours in a LR-25, half the time with inop yaw dampers. :beer:

Even better is the ramp for of charter birds at a ramp near an auto plant short of parts at 3 am. Made the Star Wars bar scene look like an Iowa Rotary club meeting (YIP's seen this)

I wish I could have seen that things were going to improve when I was a freight dog, then I would have taken the time to enjoy the moment....nothing like the Lear 24/25 stuffed with seat covers!!

Last edited:
And that's why we read these boards. Occasionally we read something truly entertaining.

And, its because they all have college degrees, from college's nowadays.
Oh please, not again, we all know that a college degree had nothing to do with flying an airplane. I flew with non-degreed guys who went straight to DAL when they got out. Want to turn this into a college degree thread, I am game if you are

Last edited:
Oh please, not again, we all know that a college degree had nothing to do with flying an airplane. I flew with non-degreed guys who went straight to DAL when they got out. Want to turn this into a college degree thread, I am game if you are

Pilotyip- the truth of the matter, right or wrong, effective or ineffective, is that a college degree is necessary to get a job at a legacy today. Will that change in 5 years or more? Probably. However, today the fact remains that if you have a degree, you will probably get a call. If you don't- you are not.

Pilotyip- the truth of the matter, right or wrong, effective or ineffective, is that a college degree is necessary to get a job at a legacy today. Will that change in 5 years or more? Probably. However, today the fact remains that if you have a degree, you will probably get a call. If you don't- you arenot.
I have never disagreed with that, because of stupid HR policies, those without a college degree are limited to where they can successfully apply. But the college degree by itself is no proof of superior intelligence.

We are not talking about Yale, U of M, or even MIT as the universal example of getting a college degree; we are talking about a degree from Bumblebee State. The degree from Bumblebee State requires no time on campus, no classroom attendance, and only money. Yet the Bumblebee State will still check the box in the lower left corner, same as Yale.

Many college graduates tried getting into Navy Flight Training in the mid 60?s to avoid being drafted into the Army, many did not make it because the intelligence levels required to have a high probability of successful program completion were in excess of those held by those who had attended college. Yet many non-college grads were hired and had a high completion rate in the Navy Flight Training during the 60's

Plus the degree is not needed until the last step, you do not need to rack up $100K of debt for four years of on-campus training. It can be done over a 10 year period while building flight time.

Last edited:
This all seems to boil down to the requirements of various airlines. Requirements which seem to have nothing to do with actual skill or experience. SW just hired a class of all military trained pilots. The question isn't the requirements, it's who's setting those requirements. HR is not some mysterious group it's policies are set by pilots directly or in-directly. If those pilots are military trained pilots it's hiring policies will reflect their experience level. Which, once again will support a bias. There is a surplus of pilots flying everything from DC-8's to 747's who were passed over no doubt in order to make up this class.

Seems you can't fight HR any more than you can fight city hall.

While we won't change the hiring practices at least the possibility exists that this thread shone a light on it and made more of us aware.

As I sign off I would like to add a thank you on Memorial Day to all those who served and came home to fly for airlines, but especially to those who didn't. Your sacrifices make this a better country and world for both me and my family.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back