• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Can't I Pft Like The Rich Kids Do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like the others said, don't waste your money buying multi time now. After you've built up your total time, if you're still having trouble getting the multi hours, then you could consider buying them. No sense in buying hours if you can get someone else to pay for them, though, unless it's getting you a job a lot quicker (senority is everything).

As for the PFT label, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about that. Outside of the message board world, nobody cares one way or the other.

Da Vinci said:
you do whatever you need to get ahead. you don't 'look out' for anyone...just yourself.
this industry is too small to think that if you step on someone's foot you won't be having to kiss their a$$ in a few years, cause you will.
imagine your 30 before finally deciding to follow your real passion, you're jobless for the first time in 13 years....your eager to start...eaglejet sends you paperwork offering 500 in this or that for 20K+...it's tempting. i'm just being honest, ok?

i appreciate your honesty at the risk of being flamed on a sensitive subject, but honestly i wouldn't do it.
i'm 30 going on 31. i have my cfi checkride coming up in about 2 weeks. i have $200,000 of debt and i'm unemployed while i train. i expect to make $10-15/hr for the next few years as a cfi and be paid i'd say on average 30-40 a week on a good week (ground & flight time)

that ain't gonna cut it to pay the bills, but there's nothing to take. if i had $20k at 300 hours would i jump on your opportunity? no.

i can ONLY assume pilots on this forum represent other pilots opinions and if that is correct...i should run not walk from the idea completely.

at least you didn't make the mistake then realize it later. good luck

moxiepilot said:
i'm 30 going on 31. i have my cfi checkride coming up in about 2 weeks. i have $200,000 of debt and i'm unemployed while i train. i expect to make $10-15/hr for the next few years as a cfi and be paid i'd say on average 30-40 a week on a good week (ground & flight time)

Moxie, you have a very good idea of what things will be like. I worked 7 days a week and made myself available all day. I averaged 25-30 hours a week. I HIGHLY suggest getting your CFII immediatly after your CFI. The CFII checkride is very easy. If you wait, you'll find out you have no time to do it. The CFII makes you more competitive for a job, if you don't have one lined up already. Most importantly, it will help you make more money and get hours faster. The private and commerical courses have a lot of solo flights. The instrument is all dual. Teaching instrument students is genarally less stressful than private students, since they already know how to land.
Good luck on the checkride.

The instrument is all dual???

I strongly believe that only 25 hours of DUAL is needed towards the 40 required.

Buying jet time might just work for you.

I built my time from 350 hours to 4000, including 1200 Multi, within the past 5 years.

I managed to get hired at a dangerous outfit in the Carribean flying C-402s, which I ultimately turned down, also due to personal reasons.

I sent out hundreds or resumees but could not get any response or interview.

Found a job in Asia, so I did a B727 type rating, and that is where I fly now, very happy. Now, this is not PFT, since I only got my rating to get the job.

My goal was and still is to fly a business jet. If I had not found this job here, I might have considered what you are thinking about.

It is very hard to get a corporate job, if you dont have any connections nor type rating.

I'm in somewhat of a similar position, although a little further along. I'm 28, I have my CFIs, and about 600 hours TT. Would I consider PFT? Nope. I don't want to pay for it. I have about $25K worth of student loans from my college/flight training, and I think that's enough.

Save yer money. You'll need it later. Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch. I'm not so sure that there's really any way to get "ahead" per se.

-Goose

Last edited:
Do the math, if you can justify spending $24,000-$80,000 to get a $18,000 a year job that will become a $40,000 a year job after 3-5 years go for it! Although as stated in an earlier post, regionals such as ASA, Expressjet, Eagle, Pinnacle, Chautauqua have pretty low mins and are also hiring like crazy, so enjoying a little instructing for a year or so might save you 15% on your car insurance.

MJPilot said:
The instrument is all dual???

I strongly believe that only 25 hours of DUAL is needed towards the 40 required.

I did training under part 141 where all the lessons are dual, under part 61 you are correct. Anyways, the point is, in general, you will get more flight time from an instrument student than you will a private student.

No harm in researching ways to get jobs in the aviation industry, especially if you are new to it. PFT is a very touchy subject only because the aviation industry is a tight-nit group of people always looking out for everyone else. PFT is a good way to get a reputation in this industry and a reputation in this small of a community can haunt you for as long as your working/looking for work. If you honest to goodness wanted to get to an airline fast and had $20k in your pocket I would join a flying club and split tons of twin time with anyone who was willing, it is an awesome way to keep instrument skills sharp and see a lot of different places. I would also spilt time in a c152 as well to build your TT up. My club in particular has a c150 that rents for $35 an hour...split that and youre spending $17 an hour. The twin my club has is a duchess and rents for $130 an hour...split that and your looking at $65 an hour for twin time, not too shabby. Split 100 hours in the twin would cost you $6500 and with the remainder of that $20k you could split almost 800 hours in the C150. 800 hours on top of your commercial ticket and 100 hours multi will get you a job at just about any hiring regional. Splitting time in my opinion gives you "real" experience, just wait for those overcast days and stay in the clouds. Best of luck to you.

Whether or not the PFT stigma is an issue, you’ll learn to be a much better pilot listening to what these guys are saying. Most airlines as well as the paying passengers want to see someone who has instructed and had some 135 freight experience. These type of pilots tend to be very good candidates and have proven themselves by going out there and obtaining real world PIC experience. It’s not all about wearing the uniform and flying a jet. The uniform should connotate an image of someone who has earned his expereince and skills. You need to build up some real experience, otherwise your co-workers aren’t going to respect you very much either. Would you want to be a passenger on a flight where the pilot paid to fly you around and avoided the an important stepping stone part of his career. By flying around as PIC in some IMC, you’ll gain tons of experience. Also, flight instructing allows you to learn a great deal about flying by teaching it. They say teaching is like learning twice. Doing some 135 single pilot stuff will be scary at times and really build your confidence and decision making skills. You’ll also learn a lot of respect. If you’ve got all this money, I would get the CFI, CFII and MEI and instruct for a little while. Maybe on the side buy some multi time to meet some hiring minimums. Right now the regionals are doing a lot of hiring and you should be able to get on with one of them within a couple of years. You certainly aren’t too old to be hired and have a long successful career as an airline pilot at a good regional.

Latest resources

Back